Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 04:43 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times

Advertisements

Canada has trade relations with 224 countries and territories, with which it trades more than 5,500 types of products and services. I think our very young friend (who is still under age 26) needs to educate himself a little bit more before he tries to lecture anyone about what he thinks is Canada's deficiency of international trade relations with other countries:

A look at Canada’s international trade through maps and charts – Roberto Rocha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ners_of_Canada

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 05:01 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Canada has trade relations with 224 countries and territories, with which it trades more than 5,500 types of products and services. I think our very young friend (who is still under age 26) needs to educate himself a little bit more before he tries to lecture anyone about what he thinks is Canada's deficiency of international trade relations with other countries:

A look at Canada’s international trade through maps and charts – Roberto Rocha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ners_of_Canada

Surely it's not disputable that Canada relies on the US for trade more than the US relies on Canada:

52% of imports to Canada come from the US. 76% of Canada's exports go to the US.

On the other hand, only 13% of imports to the US come from Canada, and 19% of US exports go to Canada.

(Source: https://tradingeconomics.com/).

It's not that Canada has a "deficiency of international trade relations," it's that its international trade is disproportionately skewed to the US, while the reverse is not true.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Surely it's not disputable that Canada relies on the US for trade more than the US relies on Canada:

52% of imports to Canada come from the US. 76% of Canada's exports go to the US.

On the other hand, only 13% of imports to the US come from Canada, and 19% of US exports go to Canada.

It's not that Canada has a "deficiency of international trade relations," it's that its international trade is disproportionately skewed to the US, while the reverse is not true.

You're right, absolutely, it is not disputable that Canada relies on the US for trade more than the US relies on Canada. Now. But that wasn't always the case even as little as a few years ago. However, my whole point to young Hiruko (sorry but I will now never again be able to think of him any other way than as young Hiruko or maybe the Grasshopper) was that USA is not Canada's only trade partner and that Canada does not have very little to trade to other countries because he seemed to be under the impression that was the situation and that's what he was so smugly implying in his lecture above.

With regard to disproportionate skewing, you're right about that too but I think it's understandable considering the disparity in populations between our two nations that Canada is the one that actually produces disproportionately far more goods on a per capita basis than America does (nearly equal to America) and America takes advantage of that because it needs to due to its disproportionately larger population. And honestly, I wish Canada would stop doing that now because America's population is not Canada's responsibility.

There was a time right up until only a few short years ago (maybe 7 or 8 years ago) when Canada and USA were both each other's largest EQUAL trading partners and they both relied heavily on each other. At that time China was USA's 2nd largest trade partner and Canada's 3rd largest trade partner (after Britain and Europe as 2nd). Now Canada is USA's 2nd largest trading partner, having been replaced by China, and China is also now Canada's 2nd largest trade partner (having displaced the UK/EU) and USA has become much more reliant on China.

What that tells me is that there's a good likelihood that China will eventually overtake USA to become Canada's largest trading partner, and both Canada and USA will no longer be so reliant on each other. When that happens, that is when USA will cease to be the most wealthy and respected superpower in the world and China will take USA's place as the #1 global superpower with other countries and both Canada and USA kowtowing at China's beck and call. Then Canada and USA won't be of any particular advantage to each other the way they are now, and whether or not they are in such close proximity to each other will become irrelevant. China will probably insist that USA put up a wall between Canada and USA anyway and to reduce its trade with Canada in order to conserve Canada's resources for China itself, and USA will comply because USA will be dependent on China and will have no choice in the matter.

Interesting times ahead.... eh?

Old 02-16-2019, 11:53 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,707 times
"Places like Quebec and Newfoundland appear more foreign relative to the U.S. for reasons of their own, and having all those Americans in the next country over does not appear to have prevented them from establishing these identities and keeping them alive."

This is how I feel.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Here's some interesting charts.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-s...er-map-2017-11

Old 02-16-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Indeed. As Sergeant Schultz and Colonel Klink would say ..... "Verrry interrresting!"

Here's some more: http://www.worldstopexports.com/chin...port-partners/

Old 02-16-2019, 02:13 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Canadas proximity to the USA was convenient for road trips long weekends and winter holidays to Florida. ,new Enland/Boston/NYC etc were all achievable by car with a scenic trip to get there.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:34 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Canadas proximity to the USA was convenient for road trips long weekends and winter holidays to Florida. ,new Enland/Boston/NYC etc were all achievable by car with a scenic trip to get there.
Here to. We have that advantage over Australia and New Zealand

Many happy memories of road trips to California and Arizona.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Here to. We have that advantage over Australia and New Zealand

Many happy memories of road trips to California and Arizona.
Unfortunately the wife and i have lost interest in visiting USA,theres a kind of madness going on down there thats soured our need to cross the border. now we travel in Canada, last year it was trips to the Gaspe,Sherbrooke,Brockville,Gananoque, Stratford. And a trip to Ottawa. This summer we are thinking Maritimes.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:44 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Unfortunately the wife and i have lost interest in visiting USA,theres a kind of madness going on down there thats soured our need to cross the border. now we travel in Canada, last year it was trips to the Gaspe,Sherbrooke,Brockville,Gananoque, Stratford. And a trip to Ottawa. This summer we are thinking Maritimes.

Same here. I will be going to Alberta again this summer and maybe flying out to Halifax to see some old friends. My wifes relatives in California invited us to a family gathering. She can definitely go if she wants but I won't be joining her this time. I have no interest in ever going there again.

I am sure I will get more hate messages for writing this like the last time. Good...That only reaffirms my position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada