Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 01:26 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, perhaps that's not the actual inspiration for the Jason Kenney thing, but the fact that a Canadian would find the notion of "strong and free" to be alien to this country is still weird to me. Especially that it's in the seventh line of the national anthem.
That I give you, without reservation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 01:40 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Well, perhaps that's not the actual inspiration for the Jason Kenney thing, but the fact that a Canadian would find the notion of "strong and free" to be alien to this country is still weird to me. Especially that it's in the seventh line of the national anthem.

Nobody said anything about strong and free being alien to this country.
As this thread gets posted on , the meaning gets farther and farther from the original post.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:14 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Nobody said anything about strong and free being alien to this country.
As this thread gets posted on , the meaning gets farther and farther from the original post.
This is your quote:

Quote:

I do wonder though... what is with Jason's slogan "Alberta Strong and Free". Free? What?

It definitely sounded like you thought Kenney pulled those words out of his butt or something... when as I said, they're from the national anthem.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:59 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
This is your quote:

It definitely sounded like you thought Kenney pulled those words out of his butt or something... when as I said, they're from the national anthem.

I do know all the words in O Canada. I just thought it was an odd slogan for Alberta in particular.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:09 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
I do wonder though... what is with Jason's slogan "Alberta Strong and Free". Free? What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Alberta's motto is Fortis et liber. Better known as strong and free.
As Mike stated, Alberta's provincial motto ("Fortis et Liber"), translated into English from Latin, is "Strong and Free."

For that matter, Ontario's provincial motto is "Ut Incepit Fidelis Sic Permanet," or in English, "Loyal she began, loyal she remains." British Columbia's is "Splendor sine occasu," or in English, "Splendour without diminishment." Nova Scotia's is "Munit Haec et Altera Vincit," or "One defends and the other conquers."

All provinces have mottos, most of them in Latin. Mr. Kenney was simply restating Alberta's. It's not an odd slogan for Alberta; it's Alberta's provincial motto. The phrase "strong and free" may appear in the words to "O Canada," but it also appears (in Latin) on the coat of arms of the province of Alberta, and has since Alberta became a province.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:50 AM

To the person who wrote to me in the rep section...

No, the leader of the federal incarnation of a political party that also exists in the provinces does not exert any leadership powers over the provincial parties.

There is collaboration in some cases (but not in all) between the federal party and some provincial ones, and in many instances it's mostly the same people who are members of both and volunteering for both.

Even between the federal Liberals and the Quebec Liberals (the classic case) even though there is no organizational relationship between the two, in terms of rank and file there is lots of overlap and some movement of candidates between the Ottawa and Quebec City scenes.

Though one of the Quebec Liberals' most recent leaders (who was also Premier), Jean Charest, was a Conservative federally.

And Lawrence Cannon, a Quebec Liberal went to the federal Conservatives.

Thomas Mulcair, a Quebec Liberal, was the leader of the federal NDP.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
To the person who wrote to me in the rep section...

No, the leader of the federal incarnation of a political party that also exists in the provinces does not exert any leadership powers over the provincial parties.

There is collaboration in some cases (but not in all) between the federal party and some provincial ones, and in many instances it's mostly the same people who are members of both and volunteering for both.

Even between the federal Liberals and the Quebec Liberals (the classic case) even though there is no organizational relationship between the two, in terms of rank and file there is lots of overlap and some movement of candidates between the Ottawa and Quebec City scenes.

Though one of the Quebec Liberals' most recent leaders (who was also Premier), Jean Charest, was a Conservative federally.

And Lawrence Cannon, a Quebec Liberal went to the federal Conservatives.

Thomas Mulcair, a Quebec Liberal, was the leader of the federal NDP.
To confuse matters, we have the BC Liberals. In no way associated with the Federal Liberals. In fact, they aren't even liberals, but more right of centre, and have in many ways replaced the old Social Credit Party. If any cross pollination happens from a federal party into the BC Liberals, it's usually from the Conservatives.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
To confuse matters, we have the BC Liberals. In no way associated with the Federal Liberals. In fact, they aren't even liberals, but more right of centre, and have in many ways replaced the old Social Credit Party. If any cross pollination happens from a federal party into the BC Liberals, it's usually from the Conservatives.
Yes, your provincial "Liberals" are actually Conservatives, from what I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada