Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 11:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Why Canada not have more Hispanic Immigrants?

Canada has lots of South Asian, and East Asian, but why not Latin Americans?

Is Canada trying to differentiate itself from America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 11:57 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
I don't think Canada is trying to favour some ethnic groups over others, I think it more has to do with which groups have larger shares of people who are able to meet Canada's immigration requirements. There could also be more awareness in these circles about Canada as a place to immigrate. In the Latin American world - the U.S in on the mind as a place to immigrate a lot more than Canada. Closer proximity to Latin America, larger population and history play a role in that obviously - the U.S now has a massive Hispanic population and these things tend to attract and multiply - same with Canada and East Asian and South Asian. Is this something we could do more about re latin American Immigration - perhaps I really don't know but I don't think there is any effort to curb immigration from Latin America in favour of other parts of the world.. That all said, the latin American community in cities like Montreal and Toronto aren't exactly insignificant either. There are also large communities of Caribbean and Guyanese immigrants in Canada. Many of them are well rooted in our country and are second and even third generation Canadian.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-04-2018 at 12:10 AM..

Old 05-04-2018, 12:14 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
We don't want them "pouring in" as some people on here put it.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:09 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't think Canada is trying to favour some ethnic groups over others....
Correct. I doubt very much that Canada is intentionally turning away potential immigrants from its embassies and consulates in Latin America. Rather, I think that Latin Americans are not even considering Canada as a place to emigrate to. Just a guess, but I'd think that many already have friends and family in the US, so getting there would likely be more on their minds than going to Canada. Add to that the commonly-accepted myth among non-Canadians that, "Canada is a land of ice and snow, all year round," and you'll attract few people from the Latin American tropics.

That hasn't deterred immigrants from non-Western-Hemisphere places such as Asia or Africa, or even Australia, but it does seem to come into play with Latin Americans. Anecdotal only, but I think it fits: "My friends and family back in Costa Rica thought I was crazy for wanting to move to Canada," one local friend, originally from Costa Rica, told me. "They thought I'd freeze to death because of the cold." He liked it here, and did well locally, but could not convince anybody from Costa Rica to come here, because they were afraid of the cold that they thought was here. As he related it, even his retelling of experiences of summers here could not shake that belief.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 05-04-2018 at 01:17 AM..

Old 05-04-2018, 02:22 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why Canada not have more Hispanic Immigrants?

Canada has lots of South Asian, and East Asian, but why not Latin Americans?

Is Canada trying to differentiate itself from America?

Canada has 37 million people. Nearly 800,000 of them are Hispanics representing over 20 nationalities from around the world. Out of those nearly 800,000 Hispanics, more than half of them are from various Latin American nations.

South Asians, East Asians and European immigrants (that's including Spanish and Portuguese) played important roles in the settling of Canada but Latin Americans not so much because they didn't want to come to Canada. They could have come if they had wanted to, and they can still come if they want to and if they qualify. Eligibility to immigrate to Canada is based on qualifications that all immigrants from anywhere must meet. So Latin Americans are welcome to come to Canada if they wish but like everyone else they must meet all the same qualifications that all immigrants from everywhere else in the world have to meet in order to be eligible to immigrate to Canada.

But Latin Americans are NOT very keen on coming to Canada to live permanently and I think that not many of them would consider it even if they qualified with flying colours and bells and whistles. As has already been mentioned above, most of them have grave concerns about the cold and a good number of the Latin American Canadians that I have met here have expressed to me that the Canadian climate is the thing that they are most disappointed with. Several of them have gone back home to where they came from because they particularly couldn't tolerate the Canadian winters, it actually made them physically ill and very depressed and they were truly suffering. So it is not all just anecdotal hearsay about the climate that keeps so many of them away from Canada. I think that many Latin Americans genuinely have a very unhealthy physiological and mental reaction to northern climes which are so different from what they were born into and many cannot acclimate themselves to the north even if they desperately want to stay in Canada.

With regard to your mention of America I have this to say. Canada doesn't need to try to differentiate itself from America. Canada already is and always has been different from America and it always will be different from America. It's a mistake for you to try to compare Canada and America with each other in the matter of their respective immigration policies and the types of immigrants that are in both countries. There is no comparison. It is what it is.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:20 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
We don't want them "pouring in" as some people on here put it.
If forced to pick and choose, personally they're one of the immigrant groups I wouldn't mind to see "pour into" Canada.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:24 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Canada has 37 million people. Nearly 800,000 of them are Hispanics representing over 20 nationalities from around the world. Out of those nearly 800,000 Hispanics, more than half of them are from various Latin American nations.

South Asians, East Asians and European immigrants (that's including Spanish and Portuguese) played important roles in the settling of Canada but Latin Americans not so much because they didn't want to come to Canada. They could have come if they had wanted to, and they can still come if they want to and if they qualify. Eligibility to immigrate to Canada is based on qualifications that all immigrants from anywhere must meet. So Latin Americans are welcome to come to Canada if they wish but like everyone else they must meet all the same qualifications that all immigrants from everywhere else in the world have to meet in order to be eligible to immigrate to Canada.

But Latin Americans are NOT very keen on coming to Canada to live permanently and I think that not many of them would consider it even if they qualified with flying colours and bells and whistles. As has already been mentioned above, most of them have grave concerns about the cold and a good number of the Latin American Canadians that I have met here have expressed to me that the Canadian climate is the thing that they are most disappointed with. Several of them have gone back home to where they came from because they particularly couldn't tolerate the Canadian winters, it actually made them physically ill and very depressed and they were truly suffering. So it is not all just anecdotal hearsay about the climate that keeps so many of them away from Canada. I think that many Latin Americans genuinely have a very unhealthy physiological and mental reaction to northern climes which are so different from what they were born into and many cannot acclimate themselves to the north even if they desperately want to stay in Canada.

With regard to your mention of America I have this to say. Canada doesn't need to try to differentiate itself from America. Canada already is and always has been different from America and it always will be different from America. It's a mistake for you to try to compare Canada and America with each other in the matter of their respective immigration policies and the types of immigrants that are in both countries. There is no comparison. It is what it is.

Excellent post! One more among the others that gives due response to the suggestion that Canada is somehow limiting Latin America immigration and doing so only to differentiate itself from the U.S.

Cripes ahmighty; where do people get these stupid ideas?

Old 05-04-2018, 10:12 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Canada requires immigrants to be able to speak and read English..

America requires that too but most latinos don't bother because they just climbed over the fence/border

if they enforce that requirement in America, you bet they wouldn't qualify

Old 05-04-2018, 10:59 AM

630 posts, read 525,408 times
Most Hispanics in the US come from neighboring countries Mexico, Central America, Cuba, mostly. It's a way shorter trip than to have to cross the entire USA to reach Canada. Also, immigrants attract more immigrants. Most Hispanics already known someone at their destination, a relative, a friend etc. Last but not least, Canada's weather is not very appealing to Hispanics used to tropical weather.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:13 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
To those saying Latin Americans don't want to come here. Really? How do you know this?

Quote:
Canada requires immigrants to be able to speak and read English..

America requires that too but most latinos don't bother because they just climbed over the fence/border

if they enforce that requirement in America, you bet they wouldn't qualify
I know Latin Americans with university education, perfectly bilingual and well off economically and were still denied entry into Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada