U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel?
POSITIVE - Thats so fascinating; I wonder what they could be doing here! 13 25.00%
NEUTRAL - Doesn't really think anything of it. 30 57.69%
NEGATIVE - America's govt causes too much problems in the world 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:17 AM

56,436 posts, read 54,840,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
In reverse, I think it's cool to see an Ontario or Quebec plate traveling around where we live
We see them because they often come to stay at the Jersey shore in summer.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:31 AM

1,145 posts, read 408,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Where I live I've gone into restaurants after noticing that there is a car with U.S. plates among the vehicles parked outside, only to find that every single person in the place is speaking French and no English is being spoken at all. The vehicles in question usually have Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire or Florida plates.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:37 AM

3,242 posts, read 1,662,849 times
I am 50% Canadian (my dad) so when I look in the mirror I see a Canadian and an American.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:47 AM

18,364 posts, read 10,432,401 times
There have been Americans in Canada in significant numbers for as long as there has been two distinct contries actually named.

The border was for all intents and purposes just a line in the dirt that no one considered overmuch when they were going about their usual ritual of courting, selling or buying cattle, trucking wheat, or smuggling booze.

I would venture to think that very few families tracing their lineage back to the old sod would not find at least one errant American occupying a twig of their family tree and vice versa for a lot of Americans as well.

The tendency Canadians might have to think the American they've identified standing next to them at the bar who has just ordered a Knob Creek on the rocks is the epitome of the "Ugly American" personified, I would expect to be minimal, especially now with fully a quarter of Canadians being from somewhere else themselves.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:03 PM

2,408 posts, read 7,784,564 times
Quote:
In much of Canada, and depending on what part of the U.S. you're from (think... accents), travelling in Canada as an American can be a pretty "incognito" thing. A lot of people won't even notice you're American unless you tell them or they see your licence plate.
Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking. I lived in New Jersey in the early 1990s. One of my favorite destinations for week-long trips was to eastern Canada. I got to visit many parts of Ontario, Quebec, NB, NS. Sure, my car had Jersey license plates. When I was walking around town, going to a restaurant or shopping, I did not feel like I was so obviously out of place compared to the local population. Incognito is a good description.

I live most of the year in Tucson. During the winter season, thousands of Canadians (mainly from western provinces) come to southern Arizona to escape the cold. It is such a common thing, that nobody in Tucson gives it a second thought, and many Canadians have told me they feel pretty "incognito" in Tucson as well.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:19 PM

12,723 posts, read 8,807,399 times
This is an odd question, because it assumes that Americans visiting Canada whether in their cars or not, are rare.

It's part of the normal landscape, at least in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

In Vancouver you expect to see license plates from Washington, Oregon and California. Very, very common. In eastern BC more from Idaho and Montana.

The only time I think about an American plate is if it's from the east coast of of the US, like Florida, much rarer here in Vancouver.

I have met some Americans who don't live near the Canadian border, visiting Canada ( Vancouver ) for the first time and expect a reaction when they say they are from " AMERICA ". They gave me the impression that they think they are a rare breed and didn't stop to think of the millions of Americans who visit daily.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
In much of Canada, and depending on what part of the U.S. you're from (think... accents), travelling in Canada as an American can be a pretty "incognito" thing. A lot of people won't even notice you're American unless you tell them or they see your licence plate.
We will always disagree on this.

As I've said in the past. Yes, certain accents from California may take a minute for an English Canadian to detect, but we will detect it in the first few sentences, and not only by accent, but by cadence, and certain words.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:25 PM

21,979 posts, read 27,449,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking. I lived in New Jersey in the early 1990s. One of my favorite destinations for week-long trips was to eastern Canada. I got to visit many parts of Ontario, Quebec, NB, NS. Sure, my car had Jersey license plates. When I was walking around town, going to a restaurant or shopping, I did not feel like I was so obviously out of place compared to the local population. Incognito is a good description.

I live most of the year in Tucson. During the winter season, thousands of Canadians (mainly from western provinces) come to southern Arizona to escape the cold. It is such a common thing, that nobody in Tucson gives it a second thought, and many Canadians have told me they feel pretty "incognito" in Tucson as well.
Another cue (other than those with noticeably different accents - which millions of Americans don't have) is if you pay with a bank or credit card that's from an American institution that someone might recognize as such. Though many institutions have cross-border operations these days and you can't always depend on that to identify a person's nationality.

Also, there are Americanisms that even U.S.-ians with neutral accents will use when speaking. But it's not uncommon for some Canadians to use some of these as well. (For example, "zee" as the last letter of the alphabet.)

Old 05-23-2019, 12:25 PM

I didn't vote in the poll and just looked at it after my posts.

The negative is telling. It assumes we will treat people differently because of their government.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:19 AM

2,110 posts, read 1,468,115 times
I them around hotels downtown...you can usually tell an American by noticing a lot of them are walking around with a cane or walker or with a limp of some kind and they're not what I would call "old"...50-60 years on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or