Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel?
POSITIVE - Thats so fascinating; I wonder what they could be doing here! 13 25.00%
NEUTRAL - Doesn't really think anything of it. 30 57.69%
NEGATIVE - America's govt causes too much problems in the world 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 11:57 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, that's really interesting because as an American, I have wracked my brain and honestly cannot think of a single American that I know who is in their 50s or 60s and limps or uses a cane or a walker.

Maybe you're seeing people who are really in their 70s or older and who just look great other than their limp!
My experience also. The people I can think of who limp or use a cane/walker are late 70s at the youngest.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:14 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,319,539 times
During the winter months when I see plates from Southern states I ask myself WHY. Otherwise seeing Americans is about as exciting as someone from Ontario or New Brunswick.

I do remember once in the 80s travelling with a group of students in Montana being recognized as Canadians due to the big cultural differences, we asked at the bar if they could switch the TV from some basketball game to the Stanley Cup playoffs game between the Flames and the Oilers.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:33 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,355,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, that's really interesting because as an American, I have wracked my brain and honestly cannot think of a single American that I know who is in their 50s or 60s and limps or uses a cane or a walker.

Maybe you're seeing people who are really in their 70s or older and who just look great other than their limp!
That's kind of what I was thinking too. I am 64, and went for a 50 mile bike ride today. This evening I walked to a friends house in downtown Leipzig to play cards, almost 4 miles of walking round trip. Yes, I know a few people who have some mobility issues in their 60s, but I know ten times as many who don't. Aging and health challenges are not confined to the borders of the USA.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:26 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
....... what's your general attitude when you encounter Americans in Canada?

No attitude. It's such a common thing here on the west coast we are quite accustomed to it and nobody thinks anything of it. There are thousands of Americans entering BC every day. BC apparently gets something like 3,000 American vehicles and drivers crossing the border from Washington alone daily. That's not counting the number of Americans that daily cross at the BC border crossings shared with Idaho and Montana, or coming from Alaska, nor does it count all the Americans that arrive by train, air or ferry every day - I don't know how many the daily grand total is for our province.

I know that for all of Canada the country gets around 14 million Americans visiting annually. I understand that, in order, Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia are the usual top three Canadian destinations for highest numbers of American visitors but all the other provinces get a lot as well. It's good for our economy, likewise when Canadians cross into America it's good for the American economy too.

No doubt some of those “thousands of Americans” are actors.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In much of Canada, and depending on what part of the U.S. you're from (think... accents), travelling in Canada as an American can be a pretty "incognito" thing. A lot of people won't even notice you're American unless you tell them or they see your licence plate.
Or they say “license” instead of “licence”.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:33 AM

26,865 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Or they say “license” instead of “licence”.
Yeah, when they *say* licens/ce it's a dead giveaway immediately!

Old 05-26-2019, 09:18 AM

88,504 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, when they *say* licens/ce it's a dead giveaway immediately!
LMAO.

Now when I pronounced "Hawk" as "hawk" instead of "hock" or say "gutter" instead of "eavestrough" and ask for a cup of "cawfee" but look at you funny when you ask if I want "brekkie", you'll know I am from New Jersey.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:34 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LMAO.

Now when I pronounced "Hawk" as "hawk" instead of "hock" or say "gutter" instead of "eavestrough" and ask for a cup of "cawfee" but look at you funny when you ask if I want "brekkie", you'll know I am from New Jersey.
There are literally scores of words that give Americans away.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There are literally scores of words that give Americans away.
How about “napkin” instead of “serviette”?

Old 05-26-2019, 12:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How about “napkin” instead of “serviette”?
Not as much today.

It's a generational thing, and perhaps even a regional one. I grew up using " serviette " but rarely do now.

Things like " fragile ", " hostile " " niche " , " clique " a lot of the vowel sounds, etc. are better indicators.

For the American accents that are closest to a Canadian one, it's a combination of pronunciation, cadence, and certain terms.

For instance most Canadians wouldn't say " electric bill " but " hydro bill ". However I wouldn't judge someone to be American just based on that.

If someone says " Y'all "....then chances are high they are American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.