U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:26 PM

2,175 posts, read 1,753,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You can find real maple syrup in some diners, the trendy ones. Most often it's an extra charge.
Isn't "diner" and "trendy" an oxymoron?

Seriously, I suppose there are "trendy diners" in larger locations, but the trendiest we get around here is Denny's. Maybe I should return to Vancouver for a visit; and Nat, I'll look to you for your recommendations as to diners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 11:40 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,539,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Seriously, I suppose there are "trendy diners" in larger locations, but the trendiest we get around here is Denny's. Maybe I should return to Vancouver for a visit; and Nat, I'll look to you for your recommendations as to diners.
Well, I actually had a dive in mind, not a trendy place, some place that might claim to have pure maple syrup as an advertising gimmick but water it down because, well, because it's a dive.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, I actually had a dive in mind, not a trendy place, some place that might claim to have pure maple syrup as an advertising gimmick but water it down because, well, because it's a dive.
I think back to the days when I drove an 18-wheel transport, and pulled into a diner.

Those were real diners. Places that had a "trucker's special," from 0500 to 0700. Two eggs, any style, ham or sausage or bacon, toast, hash browns or home fries, orange juice, and coffee, for just $2.99. Add pancakes, it was $3.99. I cannot eat eggs, but they always managed to make me a BLT with home fries and juice and coffee for the same price.

The work was grueling, but the food--fantastic! If you want a good feed, head for your local truck stop at about 0600. Eat like you've never eaten before, at a time of day when you never thought you'd eat such goodness.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:02 AM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Quote:

At first it may sound that way, but what they have actually done is take some of the classic diner foods and upgraded them by using better ingredients, like real maple syrup

Some are quite good, but there are still some good classic old diners around where the server will stare at you with their mouth open if you ask if the eggs are organic free range from happy chickens.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:00 PM

9,535 posts, read 9,417,427 times
Quote:
Nice post, netwit. I'd rep if I could, but I need to spread it around a little more.

Back when I was in my twenties, I used to volunteer at an Ontario demonstration sugarbush, for the tourists. We produced 100% maple syrup, made by boiling down maple sap; no dilution, no adulteration, and tourists paid full price for such syrup in the gift shop. As for the restaurant, you could have pancakes served with our fresh-daily syrup. We took pride in never serving nor selling anything but 100% Ontario maple syrup, and it was never diluted or adulterated it in any way.

As for me, I was only a volunteer during sugaring season, but I'd always get a five-gallon can of our pure maple syrup as a "thank-you." I'd apportion it out among my fiends and family, but I always kept a portion for myself. When you worked to provide it, it tasted so much better!
Your “fiends and family”?

Old 06-11-2019, 09:22 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,539,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Well, blood is thicker than water...

Old 06-12-2019, 12:24 AM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Quote:
Why not? some of my fiends are my best enemies.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:

Although some of my friends have displayed fiendish tendencies when we're engaged in friendly competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada