U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 02:06 PM

9,518 posts, read 9,399,709 times

Advertisements

Once Quebec’s largest supermarket chain, it is no more.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stei...s_(supermarket)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 03:48 PM

16,666 posts, read 26,726,373 times
I remember it fondly. Sam's daughter Mitzi died a few months ago.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:39 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
Not living in Quebec at the time but we had them where I lived.

I remember the bags put in bins and rolled out through a trap for auto pickup.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:59 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,138,553 times
We had one in the Niagara area, it was the first store I saw an escalator that was flat with grooves to take your shopping cart from one level to the next.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:14 PM

1,675 posts, read 409,101 times
I remember Steinberg's or Steinberg as we said in French. I spotted some vintage tv ads who aired in Quebec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Eu649cB_R8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gNF-cRlmWY

I'm old enough to remember also Dominion supermarkets where the ones located in Quebec was acquired by Provigo in the early 1980s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oL9ziBQSuI

Old 06-10-2019, 01:47 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,748,542 times
I remember Steinberg supermarkets in Ontario, but at some point, they all became Miracle Food Marts, before going out of business.

How about Loblaw's, which spun off into No Frills, Your Independent Grocer (not to be confused with the Independent Grocers' Association, a.k.a. "IGA stores"), Ziggy's, and so on?

Or Dominion? Remember their slogan, "It's mainly because of the meat!"

The A&P? Sobey's, which bought Canada Safeway? We could have a great discussion about all these stores, and their house brands. I, for example, miss A&P's "Eight O'Clock Coffee." A very nice blend, especially ground in-store. Though Loblaw's "Pride of Arabia" coffee was pretty good too.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:21 AM

12,666 posts, read 8,737,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I remember Steinberg supermarkets in Ontario, but at some point, they all became Miracle Food Marts, before going out of business.

How about Loblaw's, which spun off into No Frills, Your Independent Grocer (not to be confused with the Independent Grocers' Association, a.k.a. "IGA stores"), Ziggy's, and so on?

Or Dominion? Remember their slogan, "It's mainly because of the meat!"

The A&P? Sobey's, which bought Canada Safeway? We could have a great discussion about all these stores, and their house brands. I, for example, miss A&P's "Eight O'Clock Coffee." A very nice blend, especially ground in-store. Though Loblaw's "Pride of Arabia" coffee was pretty good too.
Never heard of Steinberg out here in BC.

Growing up, Loblaws didn't exist out here either, Dominion, or A&P.

We had Super-Valu, Canada Safeway, Stong's, and of course Woodward'd Department store had their famous food floor, which beat out the others in two ways. A great imported food section for the time, and you could pay by a Woodward's credit card. No other grocery store took credit back then.

Of course like everywhere there were many smaller places that may have a had couple of stores, or older chains that no longer exist here.

Today, the big player in BC is Jimmy Pattison ( local billionaire ) who own many businesses including several grocery stores. Save-on-Foods, Urban Fare, Choices which is a recent acquisition, Meinhardt's, Overwaitea, Buy-low Foods, Nester's, and Price Smart foods..plus a couple of chains outside of Vancouver.

You'd think with all those he has cornered the market, but no. Loblaws made their way here with The Great Canadian Superstore and No Frills, years back, and have recently opened up Independent, and at least one store I know of that is actually called Loblaw's. Of course Sobey's ( never heard of out here until lately ) has bought Canada Safeway and are closing stores, and so far haven't rebranded the old Safeway's left.

Capers was a great little chain that Whole Foods bought and IMO ruined.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:38 AM

1,284 posts, read 897,378 times
We had a Steinberg's near our house when I was growing up on the West Island in Montreal. My mother shopped there every week, and she'd bike over to Dominion, too, for their specials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or