U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 AM

9,518 posts, read 9,399,709 times

Advertisements

But this clip suggests otherwise.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5L8eWdf_1Ws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 01:04 PM

7,211 posts, read 6,567,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

I thought drugs were cheap in Canada
But this clip suggests otherwise.

Mouldy, why did you think drugs were cheap in Canada? Where did you get that idea from? Did somebody tell you that?

Drugs aren't cheaper, I think it's just that many of them are not as restricted in Canada and are easier to get prescriptions for or they're easier to buy over the counter or off the shelf without prescriptions. Like certain types of products with codeine in them, just for one example. But cheap? - no way!

Old 06-12-2019, 02:17 PM

9,518 posts, read 9,399,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Mouldy, why did you think drugs were cheap in Canada? Where did you get that idea from? Did somebody tell you that?

Drugs aren't cheaper, I think it's just that many of them are not as restricted in Canada and are easier to get prescriptions for or they're easier to buy over the counter or off the shelf without prescriptions. Like certain types of products with codeine in them, just for one example. But cheap? - no way!

Because in the past, some of our lawmakers considered importing American pharmaceuticals from Canada as a cost-cutting measure.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:45 PM

5,684 posts, read 6,531,390 times
https://www.drugwatch.com/featured/u...gher-vs-world/

Many drugs are cheaper in Canada. I think a lot of blood pressure lowering drugs are cheaper. Not sure what this link all lists. I didn't watch the entire clip but it seemed to be about high drug prices in Canada - not sure if the clip makes mention of a comparison to the US or if it's just talking about how they are high to us.

Some years ago there was talk of not allowing American drug tourism for fear stocks of certain drugs would run out.

However it is certainly possible that some drugs are the same price in both countries. Unless you're the person buying them in both countries it would be impossible to make a blanket statement.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:43 PM

887 posts, read 325,888 times
Do you get most prescription drugs cheaper through your health care systems?

Old 06-12-2019, 05:47 PM

aMay;55410505]Do you get most prescription drugs cheaper through your health care systems?[/quote]

Each province is a little different but here in Manitoba there is a deductible that has to be met which is based on income (I think it's 3 % here) and almost everything after that is covered. Drugs deemed experimental are usually not covered although physicians can request some drugs be covered. My father has had drugs covered that way.

What the debate in Canada is about now is having upgrading to a national drug plan that would see drugs covered. It's about drugs being expensive in Canadian eyes, not about how expensive it is seen in American eyes.

I should add that most jobs include prescription coverage in addition to what's available on a national level.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:45 PM

815 posts, read 1,987,501 times
The clip mentioned America only once, to say that prices there are extremely high (as in, higher than in Canada). The comparisons are to other countries around the world.

Having lived in both countries (Canada and the US), it seems to me that there is a greater variety of drugs available in the US (since drugs only get approved in Canada if they offer some new benefit, cost or results wise, whereas in the US if they are deemed safe they go to market). Having said that, the drug I get for migraines isn't available in the US so I think it's all very variable.

Another recent news item about the cost of insulin: https://www.newsweek.com/caravan-ame...l-care-1417582

Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
The clip mentioned America only once, to say that prices there are extremely high (as in, higher than in Canada). The comparisons are to other countries around the world.

Having lived in both countries (Canada and the US), it seems to me that there is a greater variety of drugs available in the US (since drugs only get approved in Canada if they offer some new benefit, cost or results wise, whereas in the US if they are deemed safe they go to market). Having said that, the drug I get for migraines isn't available in the US so I think it's all very variable.

Another recent news item about the cost of insulin: https://www.newsweek.com/caravan-ame...l-care-1417582
With regards to drug approval, I think the real reason drugs are not quickly approved here is because of the potential cost to the Medicare system of a new drug entering the slipstream.

I had very bad migraines for years (which fortunately slowed down as I got older) but my current big issue is herniated discs and the associated sciatic pain. If I had a dollar for every time I heard that surgery is too risky, I'd be a rich lady. Based on my own research, surgery just might be too risky anywhere, but I always wonder if they want to save the system a few bucks. There's just a point when the pain is too bad for me to care.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:09 AM

887 posts, read 325,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Each province is a little different but here in Manitoba there is a deductible that has to be met which is based on income (I think it's 3 % here) and almost everything after that is covered. Drugs deemed experimental are usually not covered although physicians can request some drugs be covered. My father has had drugs covered that way.

What the debate in Canada is about now is having upgrading to a national drug plan that would see drugs covered. It's about drugs being expensive in Canadian eyes, not about how expensive it is seen in American eyes.

I should add that most jobs include prescription coverage in addition to what's available on a national level.
In Australia we pay up to $A40 for prescriptions or $6.50 for people with concession cards (most people over 65, unemployed, etc) Private health insurance can cover some of the cost of drugs not covered, eg such as malaria and yellow fever vaccinations, but we get a bit of a shock when we need to get those as they are very pricey.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
In Australia we pay up to $A40 for prescriptions or $6.50 for people with concession cards (most people over 65, unemployed, etc) Private health insurance can cover some of the cost of drugs not covered, eg such as malaria and yellow fever vaccinations, but we get a bit of a shock when we need to get those as they are very pricey.
The Fifth Estate, an investigative news show in Canada did a story sometime in the last year about New Zealand's drug coverages - a flat $5 per prescription, as I recall.

ETA: so further to Mouldy's question, Canada's drug prices are high compared to countries other than the U.S. We could and should do much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada