Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 12:26 PM

525 posts, read 453,875 times

Advertisements

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-survey-finds/

This article contains a link to the full survey at the end.

Apparently 67% of Canadians consider themselves to be very happy. Even among those making under $50,000 CAD/yr, 57% are happy (compared to 78% of those making 150k+). Quebec is the happiest province (74% happy), BC the least happy (59%). Older people are happier than younger ones, and people in relationships are happier than singles. I was shocked to find that people with kids are happier than those without! Maybe happier people are more willing to bring kids into the world?

Are you surprised by the results? As someone currently dealing with depression (although I’m an American, not a Canadian), I was definitely surprised to see that the majority of Canadians are happy. If that’s truly the case, then great! I’m glad to hear it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 02:26 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-survey-finds/

This article contains a link to the full survey at the end.

Apparently 67% of Canadians consider themselves to be very happy. Even among those making under $50,000 CAD/yr, 57% are happy (compared to 78% of those making 150k+). Quebec is the happiest province (74% happy), BC the least happy (59%). Older people are happier than younger ones, and people in relationships are happier than singles. I was shocked to find that people with kids are happier than those without! Maybe happier people are more willing to bring kids into the world?

Are you surprised by the results? As someone currently dealing with depression (although I’m an American, not a Canadian), I was definitely surprised to see that the majority of Canadians are happy. If that’s truly the case, then great! I’m glad to hear it!

I am an American citizen myself and living in America.

In somewhat recent times, I saw comedian and actor Jim Carrey (who is originally a Canadian from Ontario) on the "Real Time with Bill Maher" American TV show on HBO. He said that many people over the years proclaim that they notice how cheery and happy many Canadians are (all-in-all). And he said "Well yeah . . . because they have guaranteed health care!!! They don't have to worry about medical conditions and needed medical interventions bankrupting them. My mother has had a whole host of things taken care of for her under Canada's health care system." Those aren't necessarily his exact words being quoted here but is my paraphrasing from memory what I remember or think I remember of what he said.

Yes, to live in a nation (Canada) where the provision of health care is not dominated by private commercial interests though-and-through but instead is treated like a basic necessity that needs to be provided, in a guaranteed way, to the population-at-large can give anyone a happier outlook on life and a more upbeat demeanor. For the provision of healthcare is our claim to life itself (it is what keeps us alive instead of dead and what does or can make life bearable or more bearable for us with the remaining time we have in our lives). For none of us ever asked to be born in the first place and to be physiologically endowed or constituted as we have in the first place. At the very least, let us humans ALL have guaranteed and unlimited health care for this one and only life we have to live and a life that none of us ever asked for or bargained for in the first place. In America, it's just another high profit-driven business through and through (unless the government intervenes to whatever degree to make it otherwise).Why, if the uber-profiteers (the insurance companies) had their way, they would exclude ALL people with pre-existing conditions. Well guess what? Everyone (yes, everyone) has one or more "pre-existing conditions"!!! I guess we should all or nearly all be excluded from coverage. This is what makes Canada and other nations with the same or similar health care system morally and ethically superior nations to America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada