U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 03:13 PM

6,433 posts, read 9,950,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Why?

Canada and Europe are nothing alike when it comes to a population that can support massive train infrastructure. Especially the cost of high-speed rail.

Depending on what countries you want to call Wester Europe, the population is nearly 400 million...Canada has 37 million in a much larger area.
Well when some Canadians brag about how much more advanced and progressive they are than America, I naturally assumed this progression applied to the transportation system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 03:15 PM

6,433 posts, read 9,950,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
With the exception of a few routes, people use VIA rail for leisure purposes. I don't know anyone who took The Canadian to go on a business trip.
I'm not looking for leisure or business, at least not now. I'm trying to see as much as I can within the time frame I can. 5 hours is a bit much.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:18 PM

12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well when some Canadians brag about how much more advanced and progressive they are than America, I naturally assumed this progression applied to the transportation system.
I think you are confusing transit overall, and train travel.

Transit is usually better in most Canadian cities. Not up to some European levels, but close, at least here in Vancouver, or at the very least, the overall feelings about transit.

As for train travel between Canada and the US, VIA Rail does offer on it's longer journeys a much better product than Amtrak. The sleeping cars are nicer, the dining cars are nicer, and the food offered is higher quality.

The other difference between a cross country trip in the US on Amtrak, and one on Via in Canada, is on VIA the menu changes daily. On Amtrak apparently it doesn't. This according to a friend who is a train buff and has done both.

As for Canada being more progressive, ya that's a given. As for being more advanced? Well, I guess it depends how you measure that.

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-29-2019 at 05:09 PM..

Old 06-30-2019, 08:14 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Quote:
I was planning out a trip from Montreal to Toronto and It's nearly $60 for a one way. It's literally just 4 hours away! How ridiculous. Does anyone have any insight into this?
So hop in your car and make the drive,probably cost about $40 in gas.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:53 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,637,694 times
I used to take the train but discovered MegaBus is dirt cheap if you book a few weeks before.

Takes roughly around the same amount of time, just one stop in Kingston.

I took it a bunch of times coming back to Toronto to visit family while I was living in Montreal.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:17 PM

9,619 posts, read 6,601,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
I used to take the train but discovered MegaBus is dirt cheap if you book a few weeks before.

Takes roughly around the same amount of time, just one stop in Kingston.

I took it a bunch of times coming back to Toronto to visit family while I was living in Montreal.
I take the Megabus here all the time from Orlando to Atlanta. Once I found out about it, and found out it's not anything like the Greyhound, it's been a Godsend. $30 for a one-way trip to Atlanta? Can't beat it.

That said, I'd ride a train over even the Megabus any day. Something about a railroad versus a road shared with cars, trucks, and where you encounter unpredictable traffic, is much more peaceful IMO.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:20 PM

9,619 posts, read 6,601,212 times
Quote:
I'm not looking for leisure or business, at least not now. I'm trying to see as much as I can within the time frame I can. 5 hours is a bit much.
5 hours compared to what, 4 hours travelling by plane? You'll spend roughly 1.5 to 2 hours at the airport before boarding. A solid 30 minutes or so waiting in the plane for boarding to complete, along with taxiing, and yadda-yadda. Then you fly -- Roughly 45 minutes in the air. Then you taxi again to the gate. Then you wait to be allowed off (another 15-30 minutes from the moment the plane touches down.) Then you navigate out of the airport, waiting for your checked-in luggage if there is any.

I think a lot of times people underestimate how long air travel can really take, especially for short distances such as this.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:06 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,749,261 times
Quote:
I would be flying one-way, not roundtrip. And tickets were found as low as $56 with Westjet and Transat with around $22 for 1 checked baggage. Unfortunately I would not be traveling on those days so I may have to settle for the slightly higher $78-80 tickets I saw.

Well I am planning ahead seeing as how this trip would be in October. So all the prices I'm talking about reflect those times. All I've found are tickets for $49 but with taxes it's $57. Something I just realized however, I didn't convert any of these prices to U.S. currency. Doing that just now, I found the VIA tickets at $43 USD. Which is much more reasonable that what I thought. Yay me.

I'll keep this in consideration. Is there anything worthwhile seeing on the train from Montreal to Toronto? Is it just country and fields?
So then, just fly. It seems to me that you are looking for any excuse to fly. "Anything interesting to see? Air seems cheaper." You want the shortest in terms of time, it seems. That's fine; just remember that it's a $12 ride to downtown on the train from Pearson; but if you want to go anywhere else, it will be $60 at least. Flying into Billy Bishop Island Airport? Great--you will get a cab that will charge you out the wazoo to go anywhere, or a Bathurst streetcar. Trust me; you do not want to take your luggage on Toronto transit. (People will kick it, step on it, and kick it again; because it is in their way.)

Is there anything worthwhile seeing on the train between Montreal and Toronto? I don't know. What I do know is that I never agonized over how much a VIA trip cost between Toronto and Kingston, Toronto and Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa, and Toronto and Windsor. I just took them. They were a damn sight cheaper than the plane, and a lot more comfortable than the bus.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:22 AM

6,261 posts, read 3,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
5 hours compared to what, 4 hours travelling by plane? You'll spend roughly 1.5 to 2 hours at the airport before boarding. A solid 30 minutes or so waiting in the plane for boarding to complete, along with taxiing, and yadda-yadda. Then you fly -- Roughly 45 minutes in the air. Then you taxi again to the gate. Then you wait to be allowed off (another 15-30 minutes from the moment the plane touches down.) Then you navigate out of the airport, waiting for your checked-in luggage if there is any.

I think a lot of times people underestimate how long air travel can really take, especially for short distances such as this.
Exactly. Anything 4 hours or less I will drive rather than fly. And you didn’t add in delay roulette or possible equipment issues.

I don’t have much opportunity to take the train in Canada, but years ago I took The Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver just after Christmas. Despite the poor weather (close to -40 in Sioux Lookout and -23 with a near blizzard in Winnipeg) the journey was relaxing and surprisingly affordable for the highest class of service.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:12 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,136,825 times
ca.megabus.com has tickets from $25 (Toronto - Montreal) . For July or August.
The more in advance you buy, the cheaper they are. Can be $10. September tickets are from $10 right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or