U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2019, 01:28 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,213 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Reputation: 14126

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post


....... I took their answer to be just another jab at Canada. By stating that we weren't really a country until 1982. The comment about the Queen was to me, another way of trying to say we still aren't.

Meh. That guy doesn't know anything about Canada. His family immigrated to Canada when he was a small child and then his family immigrated out of Canada to USA while he was still just a child. So they were only in Canada for a short time and he doesn't actually know anything about Canada other than what he selectively reads online today. Every time he says "I lived in Canada!" like he thinks it makes him some kind of authority about Canada we just have to remember that factoid. We also need to remember that when he makes his jabs at Canada and our monarchy that's just his way of showing misplaced loyalty to his aspect of USA that taught him xenophobia and nationalism in support of the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations.


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2019, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Meh. That guy doesn't know anything about Canada. His family immigrated to Canada when he was a small child and then his family immigrated out of Canada to USA while he was still just a child. So they were only in Canada for a short time and he doesn't actually know anything about Canada other than what he selectively reads online today. Every time he says "I lived in Canada!" like he thinks it makes him some kind of authority about Canada we just have to remember that factoid. We also need to remember that when he makes his jabs at Canada and our monarchy that's just his way of showing misplaced loyalty to his aspect of USA that taught him xenophobia and nationalism in support of the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations.


.
509 is thinking in a very American way. He doesn't understand, it's not independence that we celebrate, but the country's birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2019, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Toronto
1,655 posts, read 1,637,694 times
Reputation: 2842
Drive by wind up. Don't waste your time. As our England friends would say....


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,166 posts, read 1,749,261 times
Reputation: 2622
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
There are rare instances when reading posts on CitiData serves to educate or provide pause for thought. Chevy's posts are the exception to the norm and never fail to provide those opportunities.

Thanks Chevy for making us all a little bit better informed. That's not always an easy task given your target audience can/may range from the willfully ignorant, through the merely stubborn to the indoctrinated pavlovian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
^ Seconded. Well said.
Thank you both, and thanks again to Nat. Unfortunately, I cannot rep any of you for the usual reason, but I would if I could.

Our system of government, and Canada's constitutional and legal history, is a puzzlement to many Canadians, in spite of the civics classes we all had to take in school. It must be doubly-difficult for Americans, to whom it really is a foreign system that they never learned formally in school. I'm glad that I've been fortunate enough to study it at the graduate level, under a few of Canada's leading scholars on the subject, and I'm happy to share my knowledge with you as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 03:28 AM
 
Location: Tijuana Exurbs
4,000 posts, read 10,442,185 times
Reputation: 4725
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
... your target audience can/may range from the willfully ignorant ...
That might be me...

When I read the first post about celebrating Canada Day with the Snowbirds, I thought, "What are we going to see? Retired Canadians in their RVs drinking Moulsons in the Arizona desert?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 05:24 AM
 
18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Reputation: 13315
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
That might be me...

When I read the first post about celebrating Canada Day with the Snowbirds, I thought, "What are we going to see? Retired Canadians in their RVs drinking Moulsons in the Arizona desert?"
Well, hey; if Canada's birthday occurred sometime in the winter months, that would definitely be one of the optics presented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top