U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 12:01 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
So, curmudgeonary starts in youth.

Who knew?
Well; at least it could be reasonably opined that I've come by it honestly? . Eh?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 02:10 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

...... The RUSSIAN BELT. No idea what that was. Never saw it.

I know what it was. You're lucky you never saw it in use and I understand why your mom was impressed with it. My dad had an old but complete one, including the shoulder straps to go with it, that he used for carrying equipment when working on the farm and lumber-jacking.

The reference is to the very wide Russian Military belts with a huge, heavy brass buckle impressed with a 5 pointed star. They weren't worn for keeping the pants up but were worn around the waist over top of military uniforms and/or military great coats. Google pictures of them, you'll see what I mean. Looks like horse harness, is as tough, thick and heavy as horse harness and with the aid of specially made shoulder straps to go with it that could be attached (to stop it from dragging down in places), it would enable the soldier to carry up to a 150 pounds or more of military equipment suspended from it. Will support the weight of a very large man. Believe you me, nobody wants to get whupped with a Russian Military belt if they know what's good for them.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:22 PM

12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I know what it was. You're lucky you never saw it in use and I understand why your mom was impressed with it. My dad had an old but complete one, including the shoulder straps to go with it, that he used for carrying equipment when working on the farm and lumber-jacking.

The reference is to the very wide Russian Military belts with a huge, heavy brass buckle impressed with a 5 pointed star. They weren't worn for keeping the pants up but were worn around the waist over top of military uniforms and/or military great coats. Google pictures of them, you'll see what I mean. Looks like horse harness, is as tough, thick and heavy as horse harness and with the aid of specially made shoulder straps to go with it that could be attached (to stop it from dragging down in places), it would enable the soldier to carry up to a 150 pounds or more of military equipment suspended from it. Will support the weight of a very large man. Believe you me, nobody wants to get whupped with a Russian Military belt if they know what's good for them.

No wonder it was just a threat! Yikes.

I wonder where they got it...if they really did have it. They're background was Scottish.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:33 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Hey, if they'd have had access to that type of leather at my school, I might have seriously reconsidered acting up in grade 7.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:01 PM

5,908 posts, read 2,284,889 times
Certainly was around in Alberta in the 50s and 60s. I was a well behaved student hence I only got the strap once. First day of Grade 4 all the boys had to stand up and he one strap on the hand. I think that she had her greatest pleasure each year giving the strap to every boy. The 9therscand form of punishment she gave way we had square dancing every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada