U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 08:20 AM

9,518 posts, read 9,399,709 times

Advertisements

Did any of you go to school at a time when corporal punishment existed in Canadian schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 09:03 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
Yes but it was on its way out.

I never got it but did see it dished out.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:05 AM

34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
When the province's School Act was amended to abolish the strap in 1973, it was a first in Canada. It wasn't until 2004 that the Supreme Court agreed that corporal punishment was unwarranted in schools and outlawed it across the country.Feb 25, 2011

Old 07-06-2019, 09:56 AM

9,518 posts, read 9,399,709 times
When I was in elementary school, there were rumors of an electric paddle in the principal’s office.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:28 AM

12,666 posts, read 8,737,253 times
It existed when I was in elementary school. We were threatened with " the strap ". I never got it, and if my memory serves me correctly, the one guy I knew that got sent to the principals office for punishment, said he never got it, but just a stern talking to.

I did see very early on in grade one, a kid in my class get his palms slapped with a ruler. Can't remember what he did to get that, but is stuck with me.

There was also a feeling, that " the strap " was for boys only.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:30 AM

18,259 posts, read 10,360,166 times
It was still common in the public system of the 50's in Ontario, just ask me!

The "strap" was a section of large dia. fire hose cut in half lengthwise and given a shaped end for the handle. I can even give you the commonly discussed protocol for prepping for a session with the school principal and the dreaded "strap".

The walls of civic building in those days were commonly plastered with a coating of stucco with decades of paint making them a pebbled surface. While waiting outside in the hall for your summons into the inner torture chamber you rubbed your palms furiously up and down that stucco'd surface to numb your palms …. it worked … or at least we believed it did.

It was a right of passage to later walk into the class without showing any facial sign of your experience, then brag about it at recess by showing your red palms to the curious.

I had occasion to go to a function at my old public school years later and you could still distinctly see the rubbed smoother marks on that area of painted surface. We were a bad bunch of little buggers.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:43 AM

2,029 posts, read 857,321 times
It was common in Catholic schools in the 1950's in the US so I imagine it would have been in Catholic schools in Canada as well. Common punishment in grammar school by the nuns or postulants was being slapped hard across the face, leaving finger marks for hours for not "observing silence" when it was called, or having your chewing gum (forbidden to chew in class) stuck in your pompador and having your pompador cut off at the end of the day to remove the gum. In an Irish Christian brothers school in NYC, punishment was a hard slap in the face or a punch in the arm. For worse offenses like fighting in school, the principal had a half inch thick oak dowell stick which he rapped 5 times across the extended turned up fingertips of each hand. It only counted if he made solid contact with the fingertips, so you couldn't excape the total of 10 hits by flinching.

In Catholic school in the 50's it was considered deserved punishment for offenses such as talking in line or chewing gum in class or fighting in class. In truth we were much harder on each other with fights being common during recess or after school, often drawing a bloody nose, a black eye, or black and blues on the body. It was punching and kicking and wrestling, no one would ever use a weapon. This was all considered part of a normal childhood. Parents almost never intervened. I think it was good preparation for life in which you need to be able to fight for yourself, take a beating, and keep on moving forward.

The funny thing is neither I nor anyone I knew including parents ever questioned the system or thought it wasn't right. It was an extension of the system of parents spanking their kids for misbehaving, which was passed on from one generation to the next. Our grandkids were the first generation in my family which weren't spanked by their parents. Our kids were the first generation not punished physically by their teachers. Though physical fights for both boys and girls were not unusual.

Last edited by bobspez; 07-06-2019 at 11:15 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 10:44 AM

7,211 posts, read 6,567,148 times
Yes, three methods and implements were used in my schools. One was 'getting the strap', a leather shaving 'strop' which was mostly used to strike the palms of the hands but was sometimes used on the buttocks.

Another was 'getting the board of education applied to the seat of learning', which was a wooden yardstick without the metal strip on it that might be used on the palms of the hands but was mostly used to strike on the buttocks.

The third was a wide, slightly cupped wooden paddle (rather like a huge flat wooden spoon with a slight depression on one side) with rows of 1/4 inch holes drilled through it, which was used to strike the buttocks or the backs of the thighs. Apparently the paddle was a lot more painful than the strap or yardstick because of the holes in it, especially if it was used against bare skin. A student had to have commit a terribly gross or injurious infraction to have gotten the paddle used on bare skin instead of over top of clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
When I was in elementary school, there were rumors of an electric paddle in the principal’s office.
Kids make up the silliest stories to scare other kids and when they tell them often enough they come to believe them.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-06-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It was still common in the public system of the 50's in Ontario, just ask me!

The "strap" was a section of large dia. fire hose cut in half lengthwise and given a shaped end for the handle. I can even give you the commonly discussed protocol for prepping for a session with the school principal and the dreaded "strap".

The walls of civic building in those days were commonly plastered with a coating of stucco with decades of paint making them a pebbled surface. While waiting outside in the hall for your summons into the inner torture chamber you rubbed your palms furiously up and down that stucco'd surface to numb your palms …. it worked … or at least we believed it did.

It was a right of passage to later walk into the class without showing any facial sign of your experience, then brag about it at recess by showing your red palms to the curious.

I had occasion to go to a function at my old public school years later and you could still distinctly see the rubbed smoother marks on that area of painted surface. We were a bad bunch of little buggers.
So, curmudgeonary starts in youth.

Who knew?

Old 07-06-2019, 11:01 AM

On the topic of punishment of old, my parents, or rather my mother, would slap us on the bottom, lightly if we misbehaved. More often though she would threaten us with a wooden spoon. " Behave or you will get the wooden spoon ". Never happened though.

The BIGGEST threat after " wait until your father gets home " was the threat of sending us over to our neighbours where Mr. so and so, will use his RUSSIAN BELT!

When dad did get home, it was always a stern lecture about don't bother your mother with bad behaviour. The RUSSIAN BELT. No idea what that was. Never saw it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada