Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 08:14 AM

4,949 posts, read 3,055,358 times

Advertisements

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/0...lert-minnesota

Many of these are the fault of human activity, and we south of the border are suffering.
So I must ask, why year after year these numerous fires are not addressed with more resources?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 09:41 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
How are those wildfires in California and Alaska working for ya? Need to go rake some more forests?

Old 07-08-2019, 09:42 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/0...lert-minnesota

Many of these are the fault of human activity, and we south of the border are suffering.
So I must ask, why year after year these numerous fires are not addressed with more resources?.

There aren't people living where most of the fires in Canada start so most of the fires aren't caused by human activity, they're caused by lightning strikes in uninhabited wilderness. Lightning strikes happen every day for 9 months of the year in the north where the fires start. I think you must be mistaking our lightning struck fires for those of the human started fires that happen in USA, like in California for example.

Canada uses all the resources it has to fight the hundreds of wildfires that start here every year, as well as accepting assistance offered from firefighters and other firefighting equipment and resources from other countries. What kind of additional resources do you have in mind? Are the people south of the border considering offering firefighting assistance and other resources to us this year? Canada helps USA all the time when you have wildfires and other natural disasters happen down there, so maybe it's time for y'all to return the favour and offer some help up here to Canada for a change. That would be really nice of you, thank you very much.

It's too bad that people south of the border are suffering from the smoke. People north of the border are suffering too only a great deal more than you are because it isn't only impacting health, it's including suffering due to destruction and loss of property, jobs and homes when the fires spread from the wildnerness to towns and entire towns have to get evacuated. So don't expect too much sympathy from us about how you are suffering from a little bit of smoke when our own suffering is 10 times worse than yours.

Instead of your complaining I'd suggest you do a really serious reality check about the true environmental situation that is happening throughout all of North America. You and everybody else in America better start getting used to the smoke and adapt yourselves to it because the fires are going to get a lot worse, bigger and greater in number with each passing year from now on. You'll be getting smoke from now on from your own western states and from the Canadian north with no end in sight. And then in another 4 or 5 years, maybe sooner, the fires will be starting in your own state too and it will be happening when you have started getting droughts too and no longer have enough water at the right time of year to help deal with your own fires. In case you haven't noticed climate change is here and it's hitting Canada worse in the north than anywhere else in the world. And it's only just getting started and is coming very soon to a place near you so you better get your own resources together and prepare yourself now for much, much worse to come.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-08-2019 at 09:55 AM..

Old 07-08-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Instead of your complaining I'd suggest you do a really serious reality check about the true environmental situation that is happening throughout all of North America. You and everybody else in America better start getting used to the smoke and adapt yourselves to it because the fires are going to get a lot worse, bigger and greater in number with each passing year from now on. You'll be getting smoke from now on from your own western states and from the Canadian north with no end in sight. And then in another 4 or 5 years, maybe sooner, the fires will be starting in your own state too and it will be happening when you have started getting droughts too and no longer have enough water at the right time of year to help deal with your own fires. In case you haven't noticed climate change is here and it's hitting Canada worse in the north than anywhere else in the world. And it's only just getting started and is coming very soon to a place near you so you better get your own resources together and prepare yourself now for much, much worse to come.

Considering we've had 4 of the top 10 wettest years on record(dating back to 1870)EVER this decade, I don't foresee us having smoke issues anytime soon. That temperate rain forest north of Vancouver island, this is what our climate has become. Our last real drought here occurred in 1988.
Nonetheless, my moving back to the Dominican Republic is certainly tempting.
Changes where there are no seasons have been much more subtle.
Perhaps when the smoke begins affecting air quality more often in metro areas, the U.S. and Canada will do a joint effort to minimize these health risks.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:10 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1724718

These people are suffering more.

I remember all the kind Americans who posted their sympathies at the Fort McMurray Fire in a thread here. It's honestly difficult to believe anyone could be as naive about fires as the OP appears to be. In Manitoba, at least in the southern portion, we have never in recorded history had less rainfall in a 6 month period. Maybe one of the things you could do south of the border is convince your commander-in-chief that global warming is real.

Smoke blanketed much of south-eastern Manitoba and Winnipeg yesterday.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:27 PM

I'm supposed to check your climatology?.
As I cough and sneeze in Chicago, every year it's a different province polluting half the western hemisphere.
And some of those are man made, that I did check.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
As I cough and sneeze in Chicago, every year it's a different province polluting half the western hemisphere.
Build a wall.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:15 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Build a wall.
Quote:
There aren't people living where most of the fires in Canada start so most of the fires aren't caused by human activity, they're caused by lightning strikes in uninhabited wilderness.
Quote:
How are those wildfires in California and Alaska working for ya? Need to go rake some more forests?

Exactly.

The OP is an uninformed hoot! I don't usually throw politics into threads, but he's prolly a Republican like his orange-headed leader who doesn't know his head from his... Okay, I've said nuff.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
You surely must understand it all depends which way the wind is blowing?

Here in BC we get smoke from Washington State, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and California.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-b-c-coastline

We also help out when needed.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5458403/b...hington-state/

It has nothing to do with Canada not doing enough, but everything to do with climate change making fire seasons longer, more fierce and more of them.

Ask a Californian what they think of your train of thought on this, and I think you will get schooled, severely.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:55 PM

I think they ought to stop hurricanes from moving inland to central Canada. People shouldn't suffer here just because of hurricanes in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada