U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2019, 04:39 AM

34,586 posts, read 41,771,947 times

Advertisements

French is taught in most schools across Canada but the problem is if theres no place to use the language on a daily basis whatever is learned will soon be forgotten.If you live in Quebec its in ones best interest to learn and know French,if you are in the rest of Canada its not relevant.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 05:05 AM
Status: "Moving back to Sweden after 13 years..." (set 24 days ago)

13 posts, read 3,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
French is taught in most schools across Canada but the problem is if theres no place to use the language on a daily basis whatever is learned will soon be forgotten.If you live in Quebec its in ones best interest to learn and know French,if you are in the rest of Canada its not relevant.
Not necessarily true. There are many Europeans who speak English and never visited any English speaking country or rarely use it on a daily basis. You still have French TV available in Canada.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:54 AM

22,071 posts, read 27,546,238 times
The thing with French in English Canada is more a psychological blockage than anything else. Mostly about not giving in to the "other guy. People learn French and other second languages in tons of places where they are far less "useful".

The idea that many people in Anglo-Canada would eagerly learn and speak Mandarin if only it was offered in lieu of French, is totally laughable.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:17 AM

12,771 posts, read 8,856,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
French is one of Canada's official languages, and if you know 2 languages it's generally easier to pick up more (I'm learning Italian at the moment and having French makes it a lot easier, even though I haven't spoken or written French on a regular basis in close to 35 years.)

I suppose Cantonese is useful if you're dealing with the HK crowd, but as the epicenter of China shifts entirely to Beijing then Mandarin would be better. But why would you need it in Vancouver?
I didn't say you would need Chinese in Vancouver, I said it would be more useful. You would be using a lot more than you would be using French. A lot more.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:24 AM

12,771 posts, read 8,856,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The thing with French in English Canada is more a psychological blockage than anything else. Mostly about not giving in to the "other guy. People learn French and other second languages in tons of places where they are far less "useful".

The idea that many people in Anglo-Canada would eagerly learn and speak Mandarin if only it was offered in lieu of French, is totally laughable.
No, the thing about any Anglophone learning another language, is that English is so dominant around the world, that it is very easy not to have to learn another language. The fact that schools here in Vancouver, can't provide enough french immersion to satisfy the need, shows that here at least, there is no " psychological blockage". I don't know about ROC, but in all my years I have NEVER heard anyone express that they gave any effort to NOT learning something, let alone that learning French is " giving in to the other guy". First time I have ever heard this expressed.

People in Anglo Canada eagerly learning Mandarin in lieu of French. No. However we aren't talking about the Anglo Canada, but of Vancouver, which has over 33 percent Chinese, and with suburbs like Richmond that have over 50 percent.

Still people here aren't flocking to learn Mandarin or Cantonese.

The comment mikeyyc and I made, were about daily use in Vancouver. I stand by the comment.

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-20-2019 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-20-2019, 02:51 PM

1,703 posts, read 1,656,975 times
Start teaching it in any grade. You're never gonna learn any language the way it's done in public schools.

Anyone tried things like RosettaStone? I don't doubt the program, moreso wonder how much dedication it'd take.

I was plopped in Tehran for a few months and really tried to remember words and phrases... learned my numbers on license plates on boring drives (lol shut up) because I wanted to and well, had to when going out and about. But if I'm just sat at a computer in Toronto?

Last edited by Stoke; 07-20-2019 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-20-2019, 02:54 PM

55,886 posts, read 74,910,712 times
French is not in the top 10 most spoken languages
But I agree beautiful and not hard to learn when young

Old 07-20-2019, 03:17 PM

1,703 posts, read 1,656,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
French is not in the top 10 most spoken languages
But I agree beautiful and not hard to learn when young
What would be the top 3? English, Spanish.... Mandarin for business?

Old 07-20-2019, 07:49 PM

22,071 posts, read 27,546,238 times
Native speaker numbers do not matter in this discussion.

As a global lingua franca French is arguably tied for second with Spanish. Both have regions where they are stronger.

Both are far behind English of course.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:36 PM

1,002 posts, read 363,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Start teaching it in any grade. You're never gonna learn any language the way it's done in public schools.

Anyone tried things like RosettaStone? I don't doubt the program, moreso wonder how much dedication it'd take.

I was plopped in Tehran for a few months and really tried to remember words and phrases... learned my numbers on license plates on boring drives (lol shut up) because I wanted to and well, had to when going out and about. But if I'm just sat at a computer in Toronto?
Are there enough language teachers? I know here they are in very short supply.

No, you cannot usually learn a language effectively from a computer program. I use Duolingo for Italian and it is a good aid. But the only way is to speak it and it is hard to find places to do that. Teachers in schools here must be properly qualified and I would imagine it is the same in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or