U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 10:45 PM

8,618 posts, read 11,154,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The thing with French in English Canada is more a psychological blockage than anything else. Mostly about not giving in to the "other guy. People learn French and other second languages in tons of places where they are far less "useful".

The idea that many people in Anglo-Canada would eagerly learn and speak Mandarin if only it was offered in lieu of French, is totally laughable.
Itís not laughable. I willingly did it. However itís usefulness approaches zero in Canada outside PQ or Federal Service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 08:44 AM

2,067 posts, read 3,276,804 times
My observation - the popularity of french immersion in Calgary is due mainly to white/affluent people trying desperately to get their kid into a school outside of their catchment zone which is now too "diverse".

Old 07-22-2019, 12:10 PM

8,618 posts, read 11,154,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
My observation - the popularity of french immersion in Calgary is due mainly to white/affluent people trying desperately to get their kid into a school outside of their catchment zone which is now too "diverse".
French Immersion was beyond capacity in 1982 when I tried to get in. You can keep trying to paint people as racist all you want, but it's really more of a reflection on you.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 PM

79,184 posts, read 71,306,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobQueNow View Post
Why isn’t French mandatory from first grade at all public schools in Canada? By teaching it from early age much more Canadians would have spoken French similar to how the Nordics and the Dutch speak English by being taught from early age and grade.

French is a very beautiful language spoken in more than 35 countries, also the official language of Canada and of the United Nations. I’m jealous Canada has Quebec as French speaker and officially bilingual at federal level.

If most French Canadians are bilingual then no reason why English Canadians aren’t. Nothing to lose being bi or multilingual.
It really depends on how it's taught. I had French in school starting in kindergarten through HS. Most people didn't develop fluency by the end. Grade school instruction was about memorizing vocabulary, and playing ring-around-the-rosie types of games, and singing songs in French. In middle school, we memorized film strips and started to tackle grammar. I felt like we were constantly at a barely-above-beginner level, until high school, when the curriculum finally got serious. Also, what results you get from a 12-year language instruction program depends on any given student's knack for language-learning as well. Even in Europe, some kids aren't comfortable or competent in trying to speak English, while others are able to.

I'd like to know what methods they use over there. That could be interesting, for comparison's sake.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:09 PM

2,067 posts, read 3,276,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
French Immersion was beyond capacity in 1982 when I tried to get in. You can keep trying to paint people as racist all you want, but it's really more of a reflection on you.
Touched a nerve there I guess !

Old 07-22-2019, 06:43 PM

22,092 posts, read 27,546,238 times
Quote:
(Cough)

Old 07-23-2019, 09:28 PM

419 posts, read 277,005 times
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head, ToyYot.

Racism, economics, and plain ignorance all play their parts in the anglo fear of the French language.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:46 PM

419 posts, read 277,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Itís not laughable. I willingly did it. However itís usefulness approaches zero in Canada outside PQ or Federal Service.
That is only due to policies that destroyed the French language in the ROC. French was in Manitoba, Ontario, Nova Scotia (Acadia), and Saskatchewan long before English.

Without these policies we would have seen a truly bilingual-mixed society through most of Canada.

Sadly, this along with the First Nations population threatened the aggressive anglo population, and was dealt with summarily.

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

16,174 posts, read 6,381,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobQueNow View Post
Why isnít French mandatory from first grade at all public schools in Canada? By teaching it from early age much more Canadians would have spoken French similar to how the Nordics and the Dutch speak English by being taught from early age and grade.

French is a very beautiful language spoken in more than 35 countries, also the official language of Canada and of the United Nations. Iím jealous Canada has Quebec as French speaker and officially bilingual at federal level.

If most French Canadians are bilingual then no reason why English Canadians arenít. Nothing to lose being bi or multilingual.
Very simple; the only reasonably successful French-speaking countries are France, Belgium (partially), Canada (partially) and, in the sense of tourism St. Marten (partially), Martinique and Guadeloupe. The other countries are disasters.

Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,044,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
You hit the nail on the head, ToyYot.

Racism, economics, and plain ignorance all play their parts in the anglo fear of the French language.
Bwahahaha! You have innocently or deliberately misunderstood what ToyTot stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or