U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 10:27 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,046,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Very simple; the only reasonably successful French-speaking countries are France, Belgium (partially), Canada (partially) and, in the sense of tourism St. Marten (partially), Martinique and Guadeloupe. The other countries are disasters.
Don't forget the French-speaking parts of Switzerland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 10:31 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 7 days ago)

4,923 posts, read 4,501,276 times
My daughter started kindergarten last year. We placed her in French immersion. I am also taking some classes to brush up and expand my French. We are lucky here in Manitoba, there is a French speaking community.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:36 PM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,159 posts, read 3,454,187 times
French is a useless language. North American children should be taught Spanish. Far more people in the US and Canada speak Spanish than French.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:44 PM

13 posts, read 1,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
French is a useless language. North American children should be taught Spanish. Far more people in the US and Canada speak Spanish than French.
Far more people speak Spanish in Canada than French? Sorry, I thats not even remotely close to being true.

And we dont care what you speak in America.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:55 PM

7,053 posts, read 3,930,748 times
My brother and I learned English, French and Spanish ( Latin and Castilian) in the home while growing up.
It wasn’t like “studying” a language .. more like just learning to talk. Our high school only offered Spanish and French. A lot of kids struggled because there just isn’t the time to properly teach/learn... at the rate of one hour a day. We were pretty fluent by the time we entered K1.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:43 PM

7,053 posts, read 3,930,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I took French for 11 years. It does you zero good if you have no one to speak it with, or a practical business/life use.

I would have been better with Cantonese/Mandarin, at least a third of my graduating class could speak that.
When I was in college I worked part time as an airline ticket agent. I got an extra dollar an hour for each language I spoke. I was making 22.00 and change. I maybe spoke to 2 French speakers and 0 Castilian speakers the whole time I worked there.
Most of the Spanish speakers could also speak English. There very very few times I needed to use my “language” skills at work, but I got paid for having them.

Last edited by Sydney123; 08-12-2019 at 12:55 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 02:53 AM

2,217 posts, read 1,778,524 times
There's nothing wrong with learning another language. In fact, there's everything right about learning another language.

I studied French for years at school. It was Ontario school French, so it wasn't as good as it could have been. Still, it got me through visits to France, and Quebec; and the people in both places appreciated the fact that I tried to communicate with them in their own language. My accent wasn't great, but it worked.

Then, I took up Russian. It was a very intensive course, involving classes, the language lab, and conversational classes. It helped that I had a Russian-speaking friend and his family to practice with, and I ended up speaking passable Russian. I can still read the language, and understand what it is saying. And oddly enough, I've had clients who are more at home in Russian than they are in English. So, we spoke Russian in our meetings.

Apparently, I have a Moscow accent, which is looked down upon by those who have a St. Petersburg accent. Never mind; I can speak passable Russian, and if they need my help, they're not going to care whether I speak Moscow or St. Petersburg, as long as I can speak Russian to them.

Learning second or third languages is only ever a good thing. We should all learn another language or two.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:35 AM

34,622 posts, read 41,802,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
That is only due to policies that destroyed the French language in the ROC. French was in Manitoba, Ontario, Nova Scotia (Acadia), and Saskatchewan long before English.

Without these policies we would have seen a truly bilingual-mixed society through most of Canada.
What policies are you talking about that so easily destroyed the French language in most of North America, IMO you just got out populated by the more dominant/aggressive English culture and completely lost all cultural relevance in North America, Did you even try to stand up to these so called destructive policies? Obviously not as you lost it all save the tiny backwater called Quebec.
An interesting read on what was and could have been =https://patriceayme.wordpress.com/20...north-america/
As for "anglo fear of the French language".? most Anglos in North America dont even know it exists,

Old 08-12-2019, 07:35 AM

9,641 posts, read 9,512,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The majority of francophone Canadians are not bilingual. Perhaps 40-45% are and their level of English can vary.

About 9% of anglophone Canadians can speak French. This drops to about 7% if you exclude anglos in Quebec who are way more bilingual.
How about the ones in Shawville?

Old 08-12-2019, 07:45 AM

22,112 posts, read 27,569,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How about the ones in Shawville?
According to Statistics Canada's census, about a third of the anglos (who make up 90-95% of the town's population) in Shawville can speak French.

This is very low by Quebec standards but still significantly higher than just across the river in neighbouring regions of Ontario where probably only 5% of anglophones can speak French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or