U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 08:40 PM

18 posts, read 3,481 times

Advertisements

Why isnít French mandatory from first grade at all public schools in Canada? By teaching it from early age much more Canadians would have spoken French similar to how the Nordics and the Dutch speak English by being taught from early age and grade.

French is a very beautiful language spoken in more than 35 countries, also the official language of Canada and of the United Nations. Iím jealous Canada has Quebec as French speaker and officially bilingual at federal level.

If most French Canadians are bilingual then no reason why English Canadians arenít. Nothing to lose being bi or multilingual.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 10:25 PM

6,111 posts, read 2,341,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobQueNow View Post
Why isnít French mandatory from first grade at all public schools in Canada? By teaching it from early age much more Canadians would have spoken French similar to how the Nordics and the Dutch speak English by being taught from early age and grade.

French is a very beautiful language spoken in more than 35 countries, also the official language of Canada and of the United Nations. Iím jealous Canada has Quebec as French speaker and officially bilingual at federal level.

If most French Canadians are bilingual then no reason why English Canadians arenít. Nothing to lose being bi or multilingual.
Where I grew up only about 20% of French Canadians knew any French. Up until Grade 9 we only had one teacher for my grade and two for most other grades. I suspect that lack of funds in small town schools and a total lack of anyone but other non French Speakers to talk with using French are some if the reasons. There weRe a lot more people whow could speak neither English nor French tHan those ehours cold speak French. Ukranian, Czech, Norweigian and Hungarian wss the only.language spoken by some of the older farmers.

French is an official language not the official language in Canada. I remember the anger and hostility of the western population upon bilingualism becoming the law. Too much existing resentment towards Quebec at that time. I was almost 60 by my first time in a Francophone community.

Learning French at an early age is probably good. I presented some of the reasons it has not happened.. Neither my home province of Alberta or Quebec are officially bilingual. Only New Brunswick is.
Two of my nieces went through French immersion from K to 12.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:27 AM

34,584 posts, read 41,760,593 times
Living in the North American milieu where 350 million people speak English and a mere 7 to 8 million speak French the French language is rather irrelavent outside Quebec, While Canada maybe considered bilingual its not meaning all Canadians are bilingual it just means Quebec is French and the rest of Canada is English. Learning French for most Canadians is a waste of time as they are never going to use it. As for your 35 countries speaking French?http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...ing-countries/
The link seems to iionmply Canada has 37 million French speakers when in reality it has 7 million French speakers and 30 million English speakers.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-16-2019 at 04:35 AM..

Old 07-16-2019, 09:21 AM

8,618 posts, read 11,151,832 times
I took French for 11 years. It does you zero good if you have no one to speak it with, or a practical business/life use.

I would have been better with Cantonese/Mandarin, at least a third of my graduating class could speak that.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:06 AM

22,066 posts, read 27,538,267 times
Quote:

If most French Canadians are bilingual then no reason why English Canadians arenít.
The majority of francophone Canadians are not bilingual. Perhaps 40-45% are and their level of English can vary.

About 9% of anglophone Canadians can speak French. This drops to about 7% if you exclude anglos in Quebec who are way more bilingual.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:57 AM

6,509 posts, read 3,582,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The majority of francophone Canadians are not bilingual. Perhaps 40-45% are and their level of English can vary.

About 9% of anglophone Canadians can speak French. This drops to about 7% if you exclude anglos in Quebec who are way more bilingual.
Wow, 7-9%. Would have thought higher but I guess that makes sense. I was lucky to go through a French immersion program in middle and high school.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:06 PM

12,771 posts, read 8,852,290 times
French Immersion is very popular in Vancouver and on the rise apparently.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2018/04...ols-vancouver/

Then you get this happening. Parents were NOT happy.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5222399/h...nch-immersion/

How useful is French out here in BC. Well, any language is useful, and knowing French helps getting certain jobs in Canada, from flight attendants, to working for the Federal government.

On a day to day basis, though, I agree with mikeyyc, Cantonese/Mandarin would be more useful in Vancouver.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:22 PM

6,509 posts, read 3,582,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
French Immersion is very popular in Vancouver and on the rise apparently.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2018/04...ols-vancouver/

Then you get this happening. Parents were NOT happy.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5222399/h...nch-immersion/

How useful is French out here in BC. Well, any language is useful, and knowing French helps getting certain jobs in Canada, from flight attendants, to working for the Federal government.

On a day to day basis, though, I agree with mikeyyc, Cantonese/Mandarin would be more useful in Vancouver.
French is one of Canada's official languages, and if you know 2 languages it's generally easier to pick up more (I'm learning Italian at the moment and having French makes it a lot easier, even though I haven't spoken or written French on a regular basis in close to 35 years.)

I suppose Cantonese is useful if you're dealing with the HK crowd, but as the epicenter of China shifts entirely to Beijing then Mandarin would be better. But why would you need it in Vancouver?

Old 07-19-2019, 08:55 PM
Status: "Moving back to Sweden after 13 years..." (set 24 days ago)

13 posts, read 3,312 times
Chinese Mandarin is only spoken in China basically and 99% by the Chinese only so basically useless pretty much even in Eastern Canada. Meanwhile French is easier to learn for Westerners and spoken in dozens of nations throughout the world.

In Sweden they teach English from first grade, and 89% speak English fluent. There is no reason why French shouldn’t be spoken by similar percentage as in Sweden for English by all Canadians.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:21 PM

19 posts, read 2,866 times
Quote:

That is the question...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or