U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 06:57 AM

16,701 posts, read 26,798,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I think you can combine the first two answers -

“Yes, I am bringing in a single 375ml bottle of Scotch”.

They might then ask “any other alcohol” to which you can say “no”.

I haven’t brought in booze for a long time but in the early 90’s I brought back a lot, much of it undeclared...
This is true. I just wanted to point out to the OP that answering the questions -- as asked -- rather than trying to do the border guard's job for him is the way to go. But you're right and your way is the much more natural way of conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 07:33 AM

34,445 posts, read 41,547,959 times
Quote:
The guy in this video is an idiot. I’ve crossed over maybe 100 times over the years and you keep the answers short and direct. He seems like the kind of guy that also makes wisecracks to airport security.

Nowadays I get similar questions entering Canada on my US passport so yes, it’s the same.

People need to remember - you are entering a different country with different laws and you are a VISITOR and therefore not entitled to squat.

You can get a cranky border guy, but then just make the answers simpler. All he had to do was to provide an example store - going to xxx and yyy at the Outlet Mall.

Rule #1 in this video...shut up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFRA...ature=youtu.be
The guy came off snarky when asked which stores he was visiting at the mall,i would have replyed all or most of them.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:55 AM

6,407 posts, read 3,506,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The guy came off snarky when asked which stores he was visiting at the mall,i would have replyed all or most of them.
Look at it from the border guy’s point of view. If you are going for a drive to an outlet mall across an international border, it’s usually because you have a purchase in mind or stores you want to check out.

It would be easy to say “not sure what stores we are going to but we are looking for xxxx”

But if it appears that you have no idea then the odds are someone larger that you aren’t really going to the outlets. In which case...what are you really crossing over to do?

Old 07-19-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Look at it from the border guy’s point of view. If you are going for a drive to an outlet mall across an international border, it’s usually because you have a purchase in mind or stores you want to check out.

It would be easy to say “not sure what stores we are going to but we are looking for xxxx”

But if it appears that you have no idea then the odds are someone larger that you aren’t really going to the outlets. In which case...what are you really crossing over to do?
The Canadian border guards dont care what you are buying when you enter Canadas its the American border guards who care what you've bought on your trip to Canada.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:19 PM

6,407 posts, read 3,506,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The Canadian border guards dont care what you are buying when you enter Canadas its the American border guards who care what you've bought on your trip to Canada.
Are you saying the Canadian border guards don't ask what residents are bringing back from the US? I've been asked every single time I've crossed into Canada, either as a Canadian resident or years later as a US resident.

I've never seen a customs authority as fixated on what people bring back in and its taxable amount as Canada's and I've traveled to many countries across 6 continents.

Old Yesterday, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Are you saying the Canadian border guards don't ask what residents are bringing back from the US? I've been asked every single time I've crossed into Canada, either as a Canadian resident or years later as a US resident.

I've never seen a customs authority as fixated on what people bring back in and its taxable amount as Canada's and I've traveled to many countries across 6 continents.
Sure they'll ask what you are bring back from the USA but if you are an American coming to visit Canada they wont ask what you intend to buy while you are in Canada that would be what the American customs will ask on your return to the USA. And yeah those Canadian border guards can be quite anal when it comes to Canadians returning from a visit to the USA.

Last edited by jambo101; Yesterday at 05:52 AM..

Old Today, 04:03 PM

9,715 posts, read 6,659,843 times
Quote:

The answer is simple... When asked, respond: I'm not sure, we're just going to walk around. A sunday outing.

Something along those lines.

I can't tell you how many times my mom crosses into the US to go "shopping" in Plattsburgh. It's not for any specific item, as she can find everything in Montreal -- it's just for a change of scenery.

As for the OP's question, a few years ago, I took my ex into Canada and we had alcohol in the car.

Officer: Any alcohol, tobacco, drugs, etc. etc.?

Me: I have alcohol.

Officer: Where is it?

Me: In the trunk.

Officer: Anything else?

Me: No.

Officer: Is it open?

Me: Yes.

Officer: Why is it open?

Me: We stopped at XYZ for a break and had a drink in the park.

Officer: How much do you have?

Me: I don't know sizes. Big bottle?

Officer: Okay, have a safe trip.

Short answers, and answer without being an ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada