U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 PM

8 posts, read 1,763 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I will be spending my first time in the west of Canada starting in the last week of this month.

I will be doing camp counselor work in Alberta for two weeks and followed by the same in British Columbia for the following two weeks.

These are bilingual camps. I will be teaching the French language to teenagers from this regions.

My concern is my time outside of the camps. I will have chances to spend in Kelowna, BC and Canmore, Alberta.

Are there any tips for a guy from Quebec staying in these places? I will plan to visit Calgary from Canmore when I have chances.

I am fluent in English but I will make mistakes sometimes. Like "I put the pot on the table green"!

Remember I am only using it as a foreign language in my daily life. So I am worried about fitting in to be honest.

Thank you for your time and your advice also!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 04:32 AM

34,522 posts, read 41,678,804 times
You'll fit in just fine, enjoy your western experience and remember while you may think of Quebec as your country western Canada is also your country, post some pics if possible.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:49 PM

8,607 posts, read 11,131,703 times
About 1/3 of the staff in Banff are young quebecois coming out to party and work. Youíll be fine. There are no Anglo boogie men waiting to make fun of non native English speakers. Iím positive youíll have a great time

Old 07-22-2019, 02:41 AM

2,204 posts, read 1,769,179 times
You'll be fine. If your spoken English is anything like your written English, you will have no trouble. Canmore and Calgary are both very welcoming, no matter what language you speak.

Wild Bill's Saloon in Banff is a lot of fun. It's been some years, but I remember some great Country and Western bands coming through there. Maybe not to your taste, but a great place to get a taste of western Canadian culture.

I will add that one of my favourite pubs in Calgary, if you get there, is the James Joyce on Stephen Avenue (also known as 8th Avenue). A traditional Irish pub, it has beers imported from the UK and Ireland, a traditional Irish pub menu (the Beef and Guinness Pie and the Shepherd's Pie are personal favourites), and no TVs, so bring a good book. If you haven't got a book, the day's newspapers are usually available, and the barman is a good conversationalist, and there will be other patrons with whom you can discuss the affairs of the day. It's a nice throwback to the days when pub patrons had to entertain themselves, rather than watch TV.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:24 AM

257 posts, read 222,377 times
Totally will be fine in any of these cities. Calgary is very multicultural and accepting and there will be far worse English speakers than you that people encounter on a daily basis. All three places are fantastic in the summer.

In Kelowna, try to fit in some wine tasting in Mission Hill and 50th Parallel winery - the views and architecture are better than the wine, and rent a boat to go down Okanagan Lake.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:14 PM

395 posts, read 271,832 times
If you make it known that you consider Quebec it's own nation, you may encounter some anti-Quebec attitudes, they are prevalent in that part of Canada, as is the perennial Canadian Inferiority Complex. Don't let it salt your visit, however. I'd suggest you keep politics out of any discussion, even if baited.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:26 AM

5,710 posts, read 6,567,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
If you make it known that you consider Quebec it's own nation, you may encounter some anti-Quebec attitudes, they are prevalent in that part of Canada, as is the perennial Canadian Inferiority Complex. Don't let it salt your visit, however. I'd suggest you keep politics out of any discussion, even if baited.
Funnily enough, until your response here, everyone did.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:34 AM

7,374 posts, read 6,654,203 times
Quote:

You mean don't behave like you just did, right? Maybe you should practice what you preached.

(Gosh darn it all, where did my fly swatter get to?)

Old 07-24-2019, 01:07 PM

395 posts, read 271,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Funnily enough, until your response here, everyone did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You mean don't behave like you just did, right? Maybe you should practice what you preached.

(Gosh darn it all, where did my fly swatter get to?)

As an actual French Canadian who was born in western Canada, what I suggested comes up frequently, and is a relevant point to make.

When you are a cultural minority you have to face some tough realities.

There's no need to sweep this under the rug.

Perhaps it is preferable to have an open discussion?

Old 07-24-2019, 06:44 PM

6,091 posts, read 2,329,838 times
Quote:
As an actual French Canadian who was born in western Canada, what I suggested comes up frequently, and is a relevant point to make.

When you are a cultural minority you have to face some tough realities.

There's no need to sweep this under the rug.

Perhaps it is preferable to have an open discussion?
Just do tell Albertans that you fully support the mayor of Montreal stance against pipelines. Or tell everyone you meet in Calgary just how much you love the Oilers and Esks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or