U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:05 PM

7,481 posts, read 6,706,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Leonard Dyck was a Mennonite, not that it matters, it's just that I automatically notice from the name. Ethnic Mennonites are like a big family. I noticed that his friends set up a crowdfunding for his widow. https://www.gofundme.com/f/in-loving...f-leonard-dyck

It's very odd that the police won't say how he was killed given that they had no problem telling us that the couple was shot.
I don't think it's odd at all, it makes wise sense to me. I understand the public would be curious, but I think it's showing respect and compassion for the dead and for the families of the dead to not make public all the details of their deaths, or about possible indignities that were done to the victims before or after they were killed. The girl was shot but apparently she was also a victim of indignities. There were hints about that leaked out in the early interview with the civilian that found and reported the bodies of the couple, before the RCMP cracked down on any more unnecessary information being given out. If there was no mention of how the professor was murdered then it's possible he also had indignities inflicted upon him too, which may even have been the cause of his death rather than being shot.

There is no reason why any disrespectful and hurtful personal or private details about the dead should be expected to be made common public knowledge when they are not any business of the public. The public is not entitled and has no right or need to know personal things that only the families of the dead have a right to know about, or that might impede an investigation if they became common knowledge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 09:53 PM

30,993 posts, read 31,922,681 times
Autopsies are done...Death by firearm suicide.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:02 PM

65 posts, read 20,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
The fact that their bodies were together suggests they committed suicide, IMO.

Or that at least one of them did (the second one to die), of discouragement after his buddy passed (of starvation/in an accident/whatnot)

(If this was winter then this would be different, they could very well have both died of "exposure" in the same spot without a suicide being needed)
Seemed obvious to me, as the two bodies were in the same spot (and it's summer).

Old 08-12-2019, 11:13 PM

65 posts, read 20,677 times
The fact that their guns (plural) were found means we might get to know a bit more about their motives. Who shot who, who had which gun, where they got them (in advance, obviously), etc.

Also, I have to say these two kids were REALLY dumb. There's many easy things they could have done to avoid getting spotted and caught.

First and foremost, the one thing they could have done is just not disappear... i.e. keep in touch with family as you're supposed to. Imagine just one text message along the lines of "Hi dad, we're in Whitehorse, Kam and I found a small apt, and we have a job interview tomorrow already! Talk to you later!" except that you're actually on the run, somewhere in Saskatchewan, discreetly loading up on survival supplies after having committed a couple murders in BC for which the authorities are totally puzzled and have no leads.

If they had done this, they wouldn't even have needed to change vehicles.

But if they really wanted to do that, then had they simply moved Dyck's body further into the wilderness and dumped it there instead of leaving it near the road, they'd have been able to use his 2011 silver Rav4 much longer. An abandoned/burned 1980s/early 1990s Ram pickup would have no link whatsoever with them (teens from Vancouver Island who are in Whitehorse as planned with nothing weird to report and aren't on anyone's radar).

Going shopping in SK many days after the murders was needless and stupid.

Even worse:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...sky-kam-mcleod

They GOT STUCK IN THE MUD in Cold Lake. Behind the city's hospital. WTF? What were they doing driving somewhere where they could get stuck? This was several days after the murders! You're supposed to have the lowest profile you can, vanish into the population. Stay on the pavement and drive away!

Foolish little kids.

(Not the first time I'm observing criminals are doing things extremely suboptimally. Good for the rest of us though!)

(edit - also, a possible (and even better, for them) variant of my first paragraph would have been to just continue as planned and actually go to Yukon. (Very doable, after realizing you've just gratuitously killed an innocent couple to satisfy a deranged bloodlust impulse, and you're in the middle of nowhere and there were no witnesses at all and nothing to link you with them.) They'd likely be working for minimum wage at the Whitehorse Walmart right now, and the roadside murders of the young American/Aussie couple would still be a total mystery.)

Old Today, 08:50 PM

12,698 posts, read 11,243,584 times
Stumbled upon this Australian version of 60 mins that has a segment on this whole affair. About 18 mins if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h69UHbRrfY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada