U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 06:52 PM

5,707 posts, read 6,560,959 times

Advertisements

der;55756422]Canada is far too large if a country for a warning to keep a shotgun by your bedside table. Besides that is illegal. The killers were last reported a 3 or 4 days drive away from the murder sites.[/quote]

Legalities wouldn't stop any country person I know from keeping a shotgun by their bedside under these circumstances.

This whole thing is so bizarre to me. I can't imagine why they would go so far north and why do they burn their vehicles? They don't seem to have a plan. It's not been made clear that I know of whose vehicle the second vehicle was. If the first burned out vehicle in BC was theirs, then whose vehicle was the one at Gillam?

Given that no one has mentioned a stolen vehicle in Gillam, what are they thinking they can do in the wilderness? Even if they stole a vehicle, there's only one road in and out of town.

The no plan thing worries me and I'm glad I have my dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 07:53 AM

9,580 posts, read 9,463,225 times
Then “plan” those boys have is probably to wander around until they die of exposure.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:52 AM

18,364 posts, read 10,435,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Legalities wouldn't stop any country person I know from keeping a shotgun by their bedside under these circumstances.

This whole thing is so bizarre to me. I can't imagine why they would go so far north and why do they burn their vehicles? They don't seem to have a plan. It's not been made clear that I know of whose vehicle the second vehicle was. If the first burned out vehicle in BC was theirs, then whose vehicle was the one at Gillam?

Given that no one has mentioned a stolen vehicle in Gillam, what are they thinking they can do in the wilderness? Even if they stole a vehicle, there's only one road in and out of town.

That vehicle apparently belonged to this gentleman who leaves his wife and two children. He was camping near where police found their burned truck camper.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...dC1?li=AAggNb9

These two have succumbed to the "gamer" thrill kill and have now gone into the bush where it is to be hoped they suffer every kind of bug bite known to man before being caught.

That one kid's Schmegelsky's father gives me the sense the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree; he's an angry guy all too eager to get his face on TV. His first appearance, he was accusatory towards authorities for not doing enough to find his kid when there was the idea he might be a victim.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:57 AM

18,364 posts, read 10,435,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Then “plan” those boys have is probably to wander around until they die of exposure.
I'm going on record as hoping that's their greatly deserved end. I care less as to the "why" as it's all too common a trend now for some to need the additional "thrill" comparable to pulling the trigger on their X-Boxes.

I cannot think of a better outcome for those who've spent far too much time comfortably ensconced sitting in front of a flat screen pretend machine gunning hoards of threatening zombies and cannot make any better use of their future time than to seek a similar thrill in real life.

Such a terrible waste all around.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:47 AM

30,924 posts, read 31,841,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If you've ever been in that part of the country you would know that they'll go insane from the bugs long before exposure gets them....At night there are billions of mosquitoes sucking your blood, and during the day the blackflies will feast on your flesh.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:17 PM

7,346 posts, read 6,640,391 times
Quote:

I agree with you that legalities aren't going to stop anyone from keeping firearms very close to hand at home under such circumstances.

I think the car that was burned in Gillam is the car that belonged to Professor Dyck, the biology professor from UBC in Vancouver, who was the third victim.

I have a theory about why they ended up in Gillam. Plain and simple, I think they made a wrong turn at Thompson and didn't realize the road to Gillam was a dead end road they ended up on and they got lost which would no doubt be really easy to do in that kind of geography. No western towering mountains or deep valleys as landmarks, Manitoba has millions of trees and all those humongous lakes and rivers and swampland. It's not anything like the kind of mountainous geography and habitat that they've been accustomed to on the west coast and it would be completely disorienting. If they have got lost in the bush and stranded and disoriented in the swamps there I think they are done for and their bodies will never be found.

That road they were on dead-ends at Gillam but it intersects with the railroad that goes north to Churchill and south through so many other towns as it winds its way to Winnipeg. So if they haven't headed off and got completely lost in the bush then they might have tried to either follow the train tracks north or south, or maybe they even thought they could try to hop the train which I doubt would be possible as it speeds on by. I have no doubt the police are investigating that possibility too.

But Sanspeur is right about the insects making them go insane. Even if the boys try to follow the railway tracks by paralleling them from just within the bush-line they will still perish because of that deadly wild environment. The insects alone would be enough to make them go into panic mode and turn on each other. Or the insects will kill them before exposure to the elements kills them.

https://www.canada-maps.org/manitoba-map.htm

In relation to this story, see video, aerial views of the territory and comments from residents - Scary Being Out In The Bush If You Don't Know What You're Doing:
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1576578115657

And why burn the vehicles? That's from watching too many stupid, unrealistic "shoot-em-up-burn-em-out" crime shows and movies and playing too much unrealistic video games.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-25-2019 at 02:43 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 08:40 PM

5,707 posts, read 6,560,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
That vehicle apparently belonged to this gentleman who leaves his wife and two children. He was camping near where police found their burned truck camper.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...dC1?li=AAggNb9

These two have succumbed to the "gamer" thrill kill and have now gone into the bush where it is to be hoped they suffer every kind of bug bite known to man before being caught.

That one kid's Schmegelsky's father gives me the sense the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree; he's an angry guy all too eager to get his face on TV. His first appearance, he was accusatory towards authorities for not doing enough to find his kid when there was the idea he might be a victim.
The dad did seem a little strange. Where is the mother? Just not talking? It must be so hard to come to terms with the fact of your child doing something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If you've ever been in that part of the country you would know that they'll go insane from the bugs long before exposure gets them....At night there are billions of mosquitoes sucking your blood, and during the day the blackflies will feast on your flesh.
No kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree with you that legalities aren't going to stop anyone from keeping firearms very close to hand at home under such circumstances.

I think the car that was burned in Gillam is the car that belonged to Professor Dyck, the biology professor from UBC in Vancouver, who was the third victim.

I have a theory about why they ended up in Gillam. Plain and simple, I think they made a wrong turn at Thompson and didn't realize the road to Gillam was a dead end road they ended up on and they got lost which would no doubt be really easy to do in that kind of geography. No western towering mountains or deep valleys as landmarks, Manitoba has millions of trees and all those humongous lakes and rivers and swampland. It's not anything like the kind of mountainous geography and habitat that they've been accustomed to on the west coast and it would be completely disorienting. If they have got lost in the bush and stranded and disoriented in the swamps there I think they are done for and their bodies will never be found.

That road they were on dead-ends at Gillam but it intersects with the railroad that goes north to Churchill and south through so many other towns as it winds its way to Winnipeg. So if they haven't headed off and got completely lost in the bush then they might have tried to either follow the train tracks north or south, or maybe they even thought they could try to hop the train which I doubt would be possible as it speeds on by. I have no doubt the police are investigating that possibility too.

But Sanspeur is right about the insects making them go insane. Even if the boys try to follow the railway tracks by paralleling them from just within the bush-line they will still perish because of that deadly wild environment. The insects alone would be enough to make them go into panic mode and turn on each other. Or the insects will kill them before exposure to the elements kills them.

https://www.canada-maps.org/manitoba-map.htm

In relation to this story, see video, aerial views of the territory and comments from residents - Scary Being Out In The Bush If You Don't Know What You're Doing:
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1576578115657

And why burn the vehicles? That's from watching too many stupid, unrealistic "shoot-em-up-burn-em-out" crime shows and movies and playing too much unrealistic video games.

Well, that's an interesting thought that they made a wrong turn - it's the only thing that makes sense. But why were they going so far north to begin with? If they want to go out in a blaze of glory, wouldn't it make more sense to go to a populated area? What are they doing heading east? The bugs would make anyone run screaming and ready to surrender.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:34 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,765,100 times
Quote:
Well, that's an interesting thought that they made a wrong turn - it's the only thing that makes sense. But why were they going so far north to begin with? If they want to go out in a blaze of glory, wouldn't it make more sense to go to a populated area? What are they doing heading east? The bugs would make anyone run screaming and ready to surrender.
Maybe they don't know that the only road connecting Manitoba and eastern Canada goes through Nipigon, Ontario--and that is the only road connection between eastern and western Canada. There are two rail connections, one alongside the road at Nipigon, and the other running north of Lake Nipigon; but neither one would be practical in a car, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, my point is that perhaps they did not realize that there are few (if any) roads between northern Manitoba and northern Ontario, and any that exist all feed into Manitoba 1/Ontario 17, in the south, west of Nipigon. Making Nipigon a choke point.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:06 AM

7,346 posts, read 6,640,391 times
Quote:

I made a mistake when I said I thought they made a wrong turn at Thompson. I meant to say I think they made a wrong turn after they passed through Flin Flon and instead of continuing south on Hwy 10 they turned left off Hwy 10 just past Grass River Provincial Park where the junction is for the road that goes north-east to Thompson and then dead ends at Gillam and Bird. I doubt they would have turned towards Thompson if they'd realized they'd dead-end by going that way.

They were far north to start with because they went first to visit Whitehorse in Yukon then returned to BC and the murders occurred shortly afterwards in northern BC near the Yukon border. According to family accounts the families had the understanding the boys would ultimately be headed for Edmonton to look for work. I guess after the incidents happened they just headed due east taking the most northerly routes that would take them through the more remote roads of each province so they could avoid being seen by many people.

I don't believe they intend to go out in a blaze of glory, I think they are just panicked and running for their lives now. That suicide by cop and blaze of glory stuff was what the one boy's father said, but that man appears to be a drunken attention seeking drama queen (as BruSan noticed in his first interview), and I think he has made that up in his own mind. It was obvious he was drunk as a lord during his last interview but even so he was still putting on an act and being melodramatic and was scrunching up pretending to be crying, but there were no tears in his eyes and no change in complexion. So I don't give the father any credibility after seeing his behaviour and hearing what he said about his own son and that boy's mother is gone, the kid spent more time staying with his grandma, not with his dad. His Grandma and the other boy's family are refusing to comment.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:38 AM

9,580 posts, read 9,463,225 times
I hope they aren’t reading this thread to get any ideas.
And Where’s Acajack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada