U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 04:41 PM

5,713 posts, read 6,572,592 times

Advertisements

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...spects-go.html

Oddly enough this link lists the policeman as a safety officer, not RCMP.

I forwarded the RCMP link to my brother, Zoiste, because I thought that the PR people should know about this false story. He did say that guy is not RCMP.

I'm ambivalent about the RCMP but I know they never talk like that. I think they'd be pulled immediately if they ever spoke to the press in an unofficial way. One thing they are not are talkative. It's like pulling hen's teeth - ask me how I know this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 05:18 PM

18,403 posts, read 10,461,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't think those guys are RCMP. They're band constables. https://globalnews.ca/news/5697042/r...-york-landing/ No RCMP would ever give an interview to anyone without it being approved from the top. Either the Daily Mail doesn't know the difference between band constables and the RCMP or they thought it made a better story to make the RCMP look like buffoons. The RCMP are very close mouthed about everything.
You are probably spot on. I wondered at this guy standing there almost posing for the camera while wearing a rumpled up hoody.

I sure hope you're correct as the RCMP has certainly done nothing in the last couple of years to inspire confidence with all the sexual discrimination and intimidation nonsense emanating from the upper echelons.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:40 AM

12,752 posts, read 8,837,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You are probably spot on. I wondered at this guy standing there almost posing for the camera while wearing a rumpled up hoody.

I sure hope you're correct as the RCMP has certainly done nothing in the last couple of years to inspire confidence with all the sexual discrimination and intimidation nonsense emanating from the upper echelons.
Netwit is correct.

It was a alcohol checkpoint set up by the band, since alcohol is not allowed on their territory.

https://www.insider.com/canada-murde...ckpoint-2019-7

Old 08-01-2019, 05:52 AM

22,029 posts, read 27,508,798 times
The RCMP hires lots of people and swears them in as peace officers but they are not regular members of the force and do not usually have the official uniforms or guns.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:02 AM

7,416 posts, read 6,671,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The RCMP hires lots of people and swears them in as peace officers but they are not regular members of the force and do not usually have the official uniforms or guns.

True. Lots of people for lots of different kinds of jobs. In my town the RCMP telephone reception and dispatch workers are all older women who have retired from other kinds of full time careers but still wanted to keep a hand in doing some light part time work just to stay busy and involved in the community. So they work part time for the RCMP. They don't wear uniforms but they are given special vests with crests on them to wear over their regular clothes to identify them.

There is also the Neighbourhood Watch crews - those are fit retired people hired for part time work by RCMP to patrol neighbourhoods in pairs, either in cars, or on bikes, or on foot. They wear dark navy blue jackets, trousers and caps with crests as identifiers and they carry two way radios. They don't have to do anything except patrol around neighbourhoods, chat with people and keep their eyes and ears open for any kind of trouble that would disturb the peace or pose a danger to residents in the neighbourhood. If they see or hear any trouble that the police should know about they immediately call in to RCMP dispatch to send police to check it out, but they must not approach.

The RCMP here also have a lot of non-paying volunteer programs happening in communities that adult citizens can get involved with and it gets them out and involved with festivals, fairs, concerts and other family-friendly activities.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:48 PM

457 posts, read 170,501 times
They wouldn't have been able to elude this long, if this happened in the US.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:23 PM

6,110 posts, read 2,336,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Like DB Cooper?

Old 08-01-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post

You're right about that. The US lower 48 is a police state with 10 times the population and doesn't have anything like the same kind of isolated and unpopulated geography for killers to disappear into. Manhunts in the USA are an easy cakewalk for law enforcement who don't have the greater obstacles and much vaster regions and harsher conditions that law enforcement in Canada have to deal with.

If Canada is really lucky these two guys will find their way across the border into the states and go on some kind of last-ditch spree down there, then law enforcement there can quickly snap them up for us. It will be a done deal in less than 48 hours, so easy for police to do down there because all the odds and geography are in the favour of law enforcement there.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Like DB Cooper?

Krosser is just a young spring chick peeping, he's too young to know who DB Cooper was, since that happened something like 25 - 30 years before Krosser was even born.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:27 PM

7,694 posts, read 8,521,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You're right about that. The US lower 48 is a police state with 10 times the population and doesn't have anything like the same kind of isolated and unpopulated geography for killers to disappear into. Manhunts in the USA are an easy cakewalk for law enforcement who don't have the greater obstacles and much vaster regions and harsher conditions that law enforcement in Canada have to deal with.

If Canada is really lucky these two guys will find their way across the border into the states and go on some kind of last-ditch spree down there, then law enforcement there can quickly snap them up for us. It will be a done deal in less than 48 hours, so easy for police to do down there because all the odds and geography are in the favour of law enforcement there.

What United States are you talking about? It's certainly not the one I am living in! The vast majority of law enforcement agencies have fewer than 25 sworn officers and many of them cover vast geographical areas. We've got places in the Dakotas and Wyoming where response time is measured in hours, not minutes. There are communities with no full time law enforcement presence at all ... state troopers or county sheriff's deputies might drive through once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I believe they are called "special/auxiliary constables" in the UK & Commonwealth countries. However, based upon news reports I believe the people who stopped the two kids were tribal police who for some reason are unarmed in Canada. In the US, our tribal police are armed and have full police powers however major felony investigations are handled by the FBI and/or the Department of the Interior's Bureau of Indian Affairs Police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada