U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 07:16 PM

7,427 posts, read 6,679,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
What United States are you talking about? It's certainly not the one I am living in! The vast majority of law enforcement agencies have fewer than 25 sworn officers and many of them cover vast geographical areas. We've got places in the Dakotas and Wyoming where response time is measured in hours, not minutes. There are communities with no full time law enforcement presence at all ... state troopers or county sheriff's deputies might drive through once a week.

I'm talking about the United States law enforcement agencies that all teams up and brings in all the SWAT teams and Special Ops manpower and all the technological bells and whistles in full force from all directions when there's a manhunt on for crazed killers gone rogue and out and hell bent on killing sprees and burning things and leaving a trail of death and destruction in their wakes. Like what these two boys gone rogue up here have done in the northern wilderness here. We hear and witness enough about the American incidents on the news here, we see the live view broadcasts from helicopters as it's happening and the non-stop 24 hour coverage about it on the media whenever there's a major manhunt on for mass killers and terrorists in USA, so I'm pretty sure it isn't my imagination.

And no offense intended but I think you aren't recognizing the huge scope of wilderness areas in Canada. States like Wyoming and the Dakotas may seem big to you but they are small areas and small potatoes as far as vastness of area is concerned compared to the wilderness areas that need to be covered in Canada. Small isolated communities in the states with no full time law enforcement presence at all where state troopers or county sheriff's deputies might drive through once a week - that too is small potatoes compared to the vastness of areas and small number of RCMP law enforcers there are who have to fly in to small communities where there is no other way to access them and they can only go there when they are actually needed, not on some kind of weekly schedule.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-01-2019 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 01:24 PM

56 posts, read 17,844 times
Anyone familiar with the 1980s board game "Scotland Yard?"

"Mr. X" shows up in Meadow Lake, SK; vanishes for a few turns of play (a.k.a. days); then shows up again in Gillam; vanishes; the police all quickly get close and try to contain the area on all sides; the days are passing and no trace of Mr. X.

That's what this looks like.... (and yes, ok, maybe that's a bit insensitive to the three innocent victims; apologies.)

I wonder if they managed to escape the area again. Mysterious...
They've been very foolish too, driving due east from Northern BC! Had they been a bit more familiar with geography they'd have gone east-south-east.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:49 PM

6,111 posts, read 2,338,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Anyone familiar with the 1980s board game "Scotland Yard?"

"Mr. X" shows up in Meadow Lake, SK; vanishes for a few turns of play (a.k.a. days); then shows up again in Gillam; vanishes; the police all quickly get close and try to contain the area on all sides; the days are passing and no trace of Mr. X.

That's what this looks like.... (and yes, ok, maybe that's a bit insensitive to the three innocent victims; apologies.)

I wonder if they managed to escape the area again. Mysterious...
They've been very foolish too, driving due east from Northern BC! Had they been a bit more familiar with geography they'd have gone east-south-east.
And the more times they would have had to refuel and the more law enforcement 9f fixers around.

Maybe they just wanted to disappear and become legends

Old 08-05-2019, 02:25 PM

22,050 posts, read 27,522,860 times
My father and I were discussing this over the weekend, and unless they're the world's greatest survivalists and expertly planned all of this in advance with the implantation of a fully stocked hideout in northern Manitoba, they're almost certainly dead by now.

With minimal supplies and equipment in the wilderness it's doubtful they could have survived this long.

And if they would have come out of the wild they would have a registered a "ping" of some kind: bank cards, stealing gas or food or vehicles, police checkpoints, citizens spotting them, etc.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And the more times they would have had to refuel and the more law enforcement 9f fixers around.

Maybe they just wanted to disappear and become legends
I disagree with your refueling argument - I'm talking about a fixed amount of driving in all cases.

Sure, maybe they wouldn't be in MB at this point, "only" in SK, but they'd have a lot more options than in a one-road town...

Also, had they been smart, they'd have picked up everything they'll need to change their appearance back in BC before they were on anyone's radar, and all the cash they could gather.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My father and I were discussing this over the weekend, and unless they're the world's greatest survivalists and expertly planned all of this in advance with the implantation of a fully stocked hideout in northern Manitoba, they're almost certainly dead by now.

With minimal supplies and equipment in the wilderness it's doubtful they could have survived this long.

And if they would have come out of the wild they would have a registered a "ping" of some kind: bank cards, stealing gas or food or vehicles, police checkpoints, citizens spotting them, etc.
I have to say I agree with your analysis. Are they equipped to hunt and fish? It's even harder when you're on the run - can't risk making a fire, can't risk making a gunshot noise, etc.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:16 PM

5,715 posts, read 6,575,513 times
I think this was all somehow an accident, ie not planned. They panicked and just started driving with no clue as to where they ended up. I also think they overestimated their survival skills and being kids, had it in mind that they could hide out and after things had died down, head back south. And eventually they realised there was no going back. Maybe the beat up boat features in this story and they accidentally drowned. Maybe they had some crazy idea of taking the river north or south.

They probably are dead.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think this was all somehow an accident, ie not planned.
I'd be really curious to know what got into them, pointlessly murdering an innocent couple then that professor like that. So weird and so gratuitous.

Their youth and inexperience is highlighted by the manner in which they went into that store and were caught on camera in Sask... they had left their burned out Ram truck several days earlier near a murder site and had already been reported missing for a while... and they just go shopping openly?!? With one of them in camo?!?!? This was absolute playing with fire; they were extremely lucky they didn't get spotted.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:31 PM

5,715 posts, read 6,575,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'd be really curious to know what got into them, pointlessly murdering an innocent couple then that professor like that. So weird and so gratuitous.

Their youth and inexperience is highlighted by the manner in which they went into that store and were caught on camera in Sask... they had left their burned out Ram truck several days earlier near a murder site and had already been reported missing for a while... and they just go shopping openly?!? With one of them in camo?!?!? This was absolute playing with fire; they were extremely lucky they didn't get spotted.
That's why I think the shootings started out as an accident - the whole thing from start to finish is exceptionally stupid even for kids. I think something happened, an argument, for the first shooting. I know the couple was found first but don't remember hearing that they were necessarily shot first? If anyone knows. Could the second shooting be because they/he witnessed the first shooting? Could it have started out that they wanted another vehicle and hijacked one or the other and drove a ways before deciding they didn't want to leave any witness?

I think one of the kids was crazy and the ringleader. I think that if the battered boat found was something they used then it makes a little more sense - as much sense as this whole senseless situation can make - why the last vehicle was burned, since it is beyond senseless to burn a vehicle without having another way out.

I don't think they were suicidal since they had normal interactions with other people after the 3 murders. So it doesn't appear as though they were only interested in randomly killing people.

I hope for the sake of the families that some sort of reason does emerge and that the whole thing doesn't remain a mystery. I think for myself I would prefer to have an idea of what happened. And if they are dead I hope the bodies are found. It's all very sad.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think that if the battered boat found was something they used then it makes a little more sense - as much sense as this whole senseless situation can make - why the last vehicle was burned, since it is beyond senseless to burn a vehicle without having another way out.
I've been of the opinion since the beginning (and now that I've read the thread, I know I'm not alone) that this burning of their vehicles is just nonsense that they've seen on TV ("that's how to do it").

It only makes sense when you want to hide who you are (destroy any evidence that may have been in it).

In their case, it's been completely useless every time.

Dodge Ram found in BC, burned or not - we know that truck belonged to them. Imagine that they had instead parked it right there without burning it; it wouldn't have changed anything.

The Rav4 they stole, burned or not - we'd have immediately known it's the one they stole, and that they're now on foot near Gillam, or changed vehicles, or gotten a ride, etc. Imagine that they had instead parked it right there without burning it; it wouldn't have changed anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada