U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:53 PM

2,873 posts, read 6,420,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well, there certainly are some roads well into the Arctic circle and to give the trucker the benefit of the doubt I guess it's possible he was confused about where Nunavut actually is and where he had been. Don't feel bad about falling for it, it could be that the trucker might have sincerely believed that what he was telling you was true and not realized he was wrong and misinformed.

Maybe he was thinking that Nunavut is the Northwest Territories or the Yukon Territory in the west, or maybe he thought that Nunavut is a town in one of those territories. There are some roads in those territories and they are in the Arctic circle. Perhaps he was confusing the province/territory of Nunavut with the town called Inuvik, which is in Northwest Territories, and there is a road that goes through Yukon into NWT all the way to Inuvik which is definitely well within the Arctic circle. I have heard other people mistakenly get those two words mixed up before.

Take a look at these road maps for each territory or province (you can enlarge them by clicking on them and zoom in and out) - https://www.canada-maps.org/

Replaying the conversation in my head I think you are right in that he was confused.

The discussion took place in Whitehorse at a truck shop. He told me he had been to every Province/Territory and I asked if he had been to Nunavut. He said yes. I asked if you could drive there and he hesitated before saying yes. That led to a detailed description of the road and associated towns which I don't remember.

The only other thing he said that struck me as odd was his US travels. He was proud of being to 49 states AND the capitols of every one of those 49. This is certainly doable but guess which state he had never been to-Alaska! He was getting a loaner car and I suggested he drive to Skagway and back and check AK off his list. He would not do that without his wife-which I totally understand-but it still seemed odd that he had been all over Canada and the US but not AK.

Thanks for the link and your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:36 PM

6,060 posts, read 2,316,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Replaying the conversation in my head I think you are right in that he was confused.

The discussion took place in Whitehorse at a truck shop. He told me he had been to every Province/Territory and I asked if he had been to Nunavut. He said yes. I asked if you could drive there and he hesitated before saying yes. That led to a detailed description of the road and associated towns which I don't remember.

The only other thing he said that struck me as odd was his US travels. He was proud of being to 49 states AND the capitols of every one of those 49. This is certainly doable but guess which state he had never been to-Alaska! He was getting a loaner car and I suggested he drive to Skagway and back and check AK off his list. He would not do that without his wife-which I totally understand-but it still seemed odd that he had been all over Canada and the US but not AK.

Thanks for the link and your input.
And the drive to Skagway is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or