U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 11:00 PM

2,873 posts, read 6,420,806 times

Advertisements

Can you drive to Nunavut?

I was talking to a trucker who said you can and he has done it, although the road is terrible.

Were is this road at? I can't find it on any map and a google search doesn't turn up anything except "no it is not possible".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 12:54 AM

5,706 posts, read 6,555,383 times
https://www.nunavuttourism.com/plan-...w-to-get-here/

Old 07-23-2019, 02:22 AM

7,328 posts, read 6,629,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post

I was talking to a trucker who said you can and he has done it, although the road is terrible.

Were is this road at? I can't find it on any map and a google search doesn't turn up anything except "no it is not possible".

That trucker was a joker, he was having you on and pulling your leg. There aren't any roads to Nunavut. Do a search of satellite views of Nunavut and look up photographs and read up about the geography, climate, the million lakes and muskeg and floating boreal forests and you'll see it is not possible to build any roads to or through Nunavut.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:32 PM

16 posts, read 3,426 times
I was wondering that too no later than last week. I know there are no roads, but I was wondering if some informal road existed but I have not found anything of the sort. I also did some research about the possibility to drive to Kuujjuaq and I don't think it is feasible either.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:31 PM

There are roads around some of the towns, even some roads that connect one village or town to another, but they all only go for very short distances and are only there to accommodate local communities. People still have to fly in (or approach from the ocean) to get to Nunavut from other parts of Canada. If you look at some of the aerial views below you'll see how impassable boreal forest, lake country and muskeg in the southern parts of Nunavut gives way to just as impassable tundra and rock the further north you go. At this time in northern Canada's infrastructure development it is not yet possible to build roads through such seasonally unstable and impassable geographic territory.

Maybe some day in the future there can be a great long elevated road built through the northern territories that can continue on through Nunavut to some communities in that province. But I think that is still a very long way in the future before such a feat of elevated road engineering can be accomplished with the immense resources that would be required to do so over such vast distances.

Aerial photos: https://www.google.ca/search?q=aeria...ih=583&dpr=1.5

Old 07-25-2019, 07:44 AM

34,487 posts, read 41,610,228 times
Quote:

Nunavut is a huge land area,what part are you thinking of driving to?
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Nun...1!4d-83.107577

Old 07-25-2019, 01:41 PM

10,146 posts, read 11,927,104 times
You can't drive to Nunavut but you can get very close. If you take the James Bay Road in Quebec right to to the end in Chisasibi and then take a short boat ride to the offshore islands in James Bay, then you will be in Nunavut. All the islands in Hudson Bay and James Bay belong to Nunavut.

Going forward in the future, there was talk in a few years of operating a ferry that can handle vehicles from Goose Bay to Iqaluit once the deep water port in Iqaluit is completed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...hvgb-1.3436190

Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

2,873 posts, read 6,420,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That trucker was a joker, he was having you on and pulling your leg. There aren't any roads to Nunavut. Do a search of satellite views of Nunavut and look up photographs and read up about the geography, climate, the million lakes and muskeg and floating boreal forests and you'll see it is not possible to build any roads to or through Nunavut.
Well the dumb American tourist fell for it.

He even embellished by saying they had built a road to the arctic circle.

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

6,060 posts, read 2,316,764 times
Quote:

The Dempster Highway in Yukon/NWT and one road in Alaska go past the Arctic Circle and an Ice road goes over the Arctic Circle near Bowman Wells. But all of them are on the west side of the country 😡

Old Today, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Well, there certainly are some roads well into the Arctic circle and to give the trucker the benefit of the doubt I guess it's possible he was confused about where Nunavut actually is and where he had been. Don't feel bad about falling for it, it could be that the trucker might have sincerely believed that what he was telling you was true and not realized he was wrong and misinformed.

Maybe he was thinking that Nunavut is the Northwest Territories or the Yukon Territory in the west, or maybe he thought that Nunavut is a town in one of those territories. There are some roads in those territories and they are in the Arctic circle. Perhaps he was confusing the province/territory of Nunavut with the town called Inuvik, which is in Northwest Territories, and there is a road that goes through Yukon into NWT all the way to Inuvik which is definitely well within the Arctic circle. I have heard other people mistakenly get those two words mixed up before.

Take a look at these road maps for each territory or province (you can enlarge them by clicking on them and zoom in and out) - https://www.canada-maps.org/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or