U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM

22,032 posts, read 27,516,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
lol... you just joined in order to post this?!?

And who's this "we" who apparently gave us what we have? (We almost certainly existed before them.)

I'm somewhat used to Alberta trolls believing their equalization check is the one and only reason we have schools and hospitals... (based on years on another forum; at first sight I found this place to be refreshingly free of bashing but I may have to reevaluate what I said about C-D's Canada Section if you're anything but a very rare oddity :P)

In fact I could probably dig up and recycle an already prepared counter-post from over there... featuring (relatively impressive urban) pics of 1) downtown Montreal before Alberta (~1900) (i.e. nothing you see in there was in any way shape or form paid by Alberta) and 2) downtown Montreal before Leduc No. 1 (~1945) (i.e. nothing you see in there was in any way shape or form paid by AB oil).

It's kinda telling (and amusing, and also sad) that I'm already prepared for your trolling :P been there done that!
It's not most people thankfully but my experience is that you'll run into the "Quebec-is-a-freeloader-living-off-our-dime" mindset at some point on basically any forum you can imagine: classical music, environment... you name it.

Sipping champagne and nibbling on strawberries during the Queen's Plate at Woodbine race track...

It's part of the culture, even if a minority and (in most circles at least) declining view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 1 day ago)

4,864 posts, read 4,483,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Keep going PB you are on a roll your delusion is very entertaining. Particularly the parts where you try to make Quebec a relevant part of Canada and North America, interesting you bring up Pueto Rico as Quebec is just like Puerto Rico a small nation that relies totally on the leeching of the mother country for its existance.
Typical Hispanic bashing on the Canadian forum. I wonder if you realize the US actually invaded Puerto Rico and took over? It never actually asked to be part of the US.

Quote:
Though there is noticeably less focus on South and East Asia in Quebec than in Anglo-Canada
The ROC seems to only care about these parts of the world and are more than happy to let them take over their cities to the detriment of Canadian middle class. Its funny people were talking about Hispanics "pouring in" to Canada (where are these Hispanics?) . Yet they would never use the same language about people who actually are pouring in.

PBeauchamp its nice to see you back on the forum.

Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

The ROC seems to only care about these parts of the world and are more than happy to let them take over their cities to the detriment of Canadian middle class. Its funny people were talking about Hispanics "pouring in" to Canada (where are these Hispanics?) . Yet they would never use the same language about people who actually are pouring in.
I think the Canadians who say or think this have been watching too much American TV.

The top Latin American source country for immigrants to Canada isn't even in the top 10, and the numbers of people admitted from that country (probably Colombia) is five to 10 times less the numbers for the top three countries: Philippines, China and India.

Also, even in terms of the people crossing the border illegally at places like Emerson MB or Roxham Rd. QC-NY, there have been AFAIK relatively few Latinos involved. The crossers have been primarily Haitians and Sub-Saharan Africans from what I can gather.

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Typical Hispanic bashing on the Canadian forum. I wonder if you realize the US actually invaded Puerto Rico and took over? It never actually asked to be part of the US.

It's interesting how people who consider themselves progressives and strongly hold up certain progressive platform pieces (when they suit them) are quick to refer to places like Quebec and Puerto Rico as "leeches", which is a most un-progressive thing to say.

Even more revealing when you consider that the places they refer to as "leeches" (Quebec and Puerto Rico) happen to be "different" from them, and that barely anyone raises a peep about places that happen to be more similar to them (think PEI and Newfoundland) which in the case of our equalization program, have received far more per capita than Quebec.

It's probably not a coincidence (or just related to politics) that Quebec and Puerto Rico (being francophone and hispanic, respectively) get crapped on for being "leeches", and PEI and NL basically never do.

Donald Trump, whom most of our friends here claim to hate, would be proud of such "selective" criticism.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM

43 posts, read 8,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's interesting how people who consider themselves progressives and strongly hold up certain progressive platform pieces (when they suit them) are quick to refer to places like Quebec and Puerto Rico as "leeches", which is a most un-progressive thing to say.

Even more revealing when you consider that the places they refer to as "leeches" (Quebec and Puerto Rico) happen to be "different" from them, and that barely anyone raises a peep about places that happen to be more similar to them (think PEI and Newfoundland) which in the case of our equalization program, have received far more per capita than Quebec.

It's probably not a coincidence (or just related to politics) that Quebec and Puerto Rico (being francophone and hispanic, respectively) get crapped on for being "leeches", and PEI and NL basically never do.

Donald Trump, whom most of our friends here claim to hate, would be proud of such "selective" criticism.
I agree so much. The double standards are fascinating.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
Sorry but Quebec is just another province that is just like every other except they speak French. Not much of a difference. To be honest Quebec is lucky we gave them what they have and should spend less time whining and more time being grateful.
This is false. Quebec is completely different from other provinces. We are recognized as our own nation and have a national assembly. All of our TV and music is different from English Canada. IIRC they consume almost exclusively US-made cultural products.

In Quebec we operate as a different country in all but name, and that is a good thing.

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfo2 View Post
This is false. Quebec is completely different from other provinces. We are recognized as our own nation and have a national assembly. All of our TV and music is different from English Canada. IIRC they consume almost exclusively US-made cultural products.

In Quebec we operate as a different country in all but name, and that is a good thing.
As I've often said, if Quebec is *exactly* the same as the rest of Canada (and maybe the U.S. too) except for language, then what does that say about Anglo-Canada vs. the U.S.? Under this logic, Anglo-Canada can't be anything but a carbon copy of the U.S.

I don't happen to think that it is, though it's extremely similar. But all I am saying is that if Quebec isn't truly different, then there is no way Anglo-Canada is.

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

Quote:
As I've often said, if Quebec is *exactly* the same as the rest of Canada (and maybe the U.S. too) except for language, then what does that say about Anglo-Canada vs. the U.S.? Under this logic, Anglo-Canada can't be anything but a carbon copy of the U.S.

I don't happen to think that it is, though it's extremely similar. But all I am saying is that if Quebec isn't truly different, then there is no way Anglo-Canada is.
That makes sense also. I think that you are very perceptive with matters of culture.

Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,042,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You take great joy in using this term a lot,perhaps you can elaborate on its meaning as i am a proud Canadian that lives in the Province of Quebec and gives very little thought to not being American.
While I know that this wasn't directed at me, I do feel compelled to chime in. If I recall correctly, you chose Canada, didn't you? Aren't you British by birth? The hangup about not being American is an obsession amongst some native-born anglo Canadians, and it seems to be more common in those parts of the country which were settled by Loyalists.

Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM

12,609 posts, read 11,209,521 times
Quote:
As we've said before, though, secessionist movements based on financial dissatisfaction or (cough) greed almost never go anywhere.
I wasn't really talking about the secessionist movement in Alberta - more just a growing unhappiness and discontent with things in our union. I think that is more likely to grow there than in QC atm. As for as economics go - I dunno AJ - that is a sure fire way of getting people riled up when they feel they are being unfairly targeted or that the treatment they receive is unjust relative to others. I haven't done a thorough accounting of it, i'm just saying that I think the general sentiment in that article, I posted is probably a decent gauge of how they feel there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or