U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM

401 posts, read 274,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Sorry OP but when we talk about the issue of a fomenting sentiment of unhappiness with our union - perhaps the discussion should be about another Province entirely.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ta-gets-kicked
Hello Fusion2,

I accept your apology, however, Alberta's independence movement is minuscule and fleeting. It is mostly based around economic factors which are changeable.

Quebec's independence movement is large and ever-present. It has been around in some shape or form since the conquest of 1760. Unlike economic grievances, this isn't changeable since we can't go back to 1760.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

12,611 posts, read 11,209,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Hello Fusion2,

I accept your apology, however, Alberta's independence movement is minuscule and fleeting. It is mostly based around economic factors which are changeable.

Quebec's independence movement is large and ever-present. It has been around in some shape or form since the conquest of 1760. Unlike economic grievances, this isn't changeable since we can't go back to 1760.
I'm not sure it is fleeting anymore. Sure it is smaller than QC's, but fleeting and changeable, I don't think we should just brush it off as that anymore. Especially considering that it just takes one generation to influence the thoughts and ideology of potentially many to come.

I'm not concerned about QC's independence movement. They should make a decision that best suits their interest as all Provinces should including Alberta. That said, if there is an imbalance or unfairness in equalization, from a purely objective and fair perspective, we should review that. What's good for the goose ya know.

Last edited by fusion2; Yesterday at 06:00 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

401 posts, read 274,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm not sure it is fleeting anymore. Sure it is smaller than QC's, but fleeting and changeable, I don't think we should just brush it off as that anymore. Especially considering that it just takes one generation to influence the thoughts and ideology of potentially many to come.

I'm not concerned about QC's independence movement. They should make a decision that best suits their interest as all Provinces should including Alberta. That said, if there is an imbalance or unfairness in equalization, from a purely objective and fair perspective, we should review that.
Perhaps, I suppose we may just have to wait and see.

That said, I am very proud of the Albertans for standing up to government that fails to represent them.

Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Perhaps, I suppose we may just have to wait and see.

That said, I am very proud of the Albertans for standing up to government that fails to represent them.
I accept your acquiescence

Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM

18,409 posts, read 10,465,119 times
Isn't this nice? We're all getting along.

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

12 posts, read 2,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Isn't this nice? We're all getting along.
Fusion 2 even inspired me to open a new thread!

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

5 posts, read 405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfo2 View Post
I agree so much. The double standards are fascinating.
Those aren't double standards. I remember growing up young in Quebec and facing all kinds of double standards.

It grows tiresome. Why are we working for Quebec? We'd be so much better off without them. They don't really do anything for anyone except themselves. We basically turned them from a handful of remote Catholic missions into a modern first world people. All of the skyscrapers, all of the monuments of importance you find in Montreal are not from them. They were just the guys hauling coal and then they hijacked the legitimate government and stole them all. Then Quebec goes on to attempt the destruction of Canada several times. They continue to hurt the whole country for their own selfishness and they call it their rights. It grows tiresome.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

5 posts, read 405 times
Quote:
As I explained on this forum a couple of years ago, the best route for the nation of Quebec is to stay part of Canada for the time being, whilst reaping the benefits Canada makes available for us. This is the way for Quebec until the the time to toss Canada arrives.

I am thrilled that this vision has come closer to light!

The CAQ advocates strengthening Quebec for the time being, without the need for immediate independence; however, the party refuses to identify as Canadian, but instead as the Quebecois nationality. Greater power is being demanded for Quebec (and rightfully so!).

The party leader's refusal to identify as a proud Canadian has led to a strong disdain from the anglo Quebecer community.

[url]https://montrealgazette.com/news/quebec/legault-roasted-for-refusing-to-say-he-is-a-proud-canadian-during-debate[/url]

Personally, I think it is a step in the right direction. More power for Quebec, more autonomy for Quebec, and a focus on building our nation to be as strong as possible.

How is this viewed in Canada?
So you consign yourself to be something of a termite? I cant believe some of this. Quebec isnt a nation it is just a vocal have not province and never will be anything more.

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't agree that Canada supports the Queen because America doesn't support the Queen. I think that's a ridiculous and thoughtless, ignorant thing to even think. Canada is a monarchy, America is a republic, and it does NOT matter.

Maybe the monarchy is irrelevant to YOU. You're entitled to your opinion about what is relevant or irrelevant to yourself but your opinion is not the opinion of most Canadians.

In answer to your question: Canada supports the Queen because Canada is a monarchy and the Queen is Canada's monarch. That's what monarchies do, they have monarchs. When the Queen (long may she live) is dead and gone her heir the King will inherit her position as Canada's monarch and Canada will then support the King (long may he live).

It's as simple as that and anyone who lives in Canada should be able to understand that. What is there to not understand about that?

And whether you with your different identity and culture like it or not, and are willing or not willing to support Canada's monarch, if you live in Canada the reigning monarch in Canada is your monarch too.

Spot on, I couldnt have said it better. And this includes the Quebecios who need to recognize that the queen is your queen whether you like it or not.

Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
Fusion 2 even inspired me to open a new thread!
See an English Canadian inspiring a French Canadian - not surprising we are very creative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or