U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,965,076 times

Advertisements

Regarding Queen E, we Americans admire her stalwart adherence to the principle of matching hats and bags. We're quite in awe of it, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

7,425 posts, read 6,679,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfo2 View Post
She is not my queen. I don't want a queen and will never pay respects to one. Canada should get rid of the queen if we want to keep Quebec.

Translation -> You better do this, or else!

That's a really silly, immature threat.

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

18,415 posts, read 10,468,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If I can seize upon this word (even if it's inflammatory), I would say that there is no way that it can be demonstrated that there is any link between the equalization program (and what Quebec gets out of it) and the ebb and flow of the separatist movement, or any significant milestones in history in this saga (the PQ getting elected, referendums, etc.)

Equalization in Canada was brought in in 1957 which was long before the PQ or its predecessor the RIN were even dreamt of by the most idealistic Québécois - who actually didn't even have much of a collective sentiment as Québécois at the time, anyway.
I was not primarily thinking of just equalization payments when using the word "extortion" A/J.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

22,050 posts, read 27,522,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I was not primarily thinking of just equalization payments when using the word "extortion" A/J.
Well, aside from equalization* I can't think of anything "extra" that Quebec would systematically get over what other provinces might get. I mean, there is a game of politics that gets played - sometimes Quebec wins, and sometimes it loses. Just like any other province. I suppose that some people pay more attention to Quebec's "wins" than they do to other province's "wins" and Quebec's "losses".

*And equalization isn't even a "for Quebec" thing anyway, but based on a formula that is applied the same way to all provinces.

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

9,620 posts, read 9,493,519 times
Is that “equal-UH-zation” or “equal-EYE-zation”?

Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

22,050 posts, read 27,522,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldy old schmo View Post
is that “equal-uh-zation” or “equal-eye-zation”?
eye

Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

56 posts, read 17,844 times
I believe it's equal-e-zation. I'm just realizing I've probably never heard the word pronounced in my entire lifetime (always pronounced "péréquation").

I suppose you won't have to wait too long for a better answer than mine. On that subject though - how come you aren't answering ours? I might try to start a Canada-wide boycott of answering any further questions from you! :P

Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
eye
Weird, I'd have bet on the opposite!
(I've been dating - quasi-married - to an Anglo for five years and counting, and my English's gotten quite good now, but oddly enough, we never discuss how her people are the only reason my people have any schools and hospitals!)

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

52 posts, read 8,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Translation -> You better do this, or else!

That's a really silly, immature threat.

Please Zoisite I would hardly call that a threat.

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

I don't see the Queen as being much of a problem given that she isn't on anyone's radar at all. In fact in Quebec everyday speech if anyone refers to her it'll be as "la reine d'Angleterre", a clear indication (without a bit of malice or the faintest hint of a political statement) that we just don't think of the British royalty as ours.

If there's anything that could potentially boost Quebec patrotism/nationalism these days, it would be the ROC trying to lecture us on how we're managing our own affairs. Not the Queen of England or anyone from any other place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or