U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 04:45 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 3 days ago)

4,887 posts, read 4,488,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Regarding Queen E, we Americans admire her stalwart adherence to the principle of matching hats and bags. We're quite in awe of it, really.
Can you please refrain from making Monty Python like jokes about her majesty. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 04:50 PM

12,642 posts, read 11,217,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
If there's anything that could potentially boost Quebec patrotism/nationalism these days, it would be the ROC trying to lecture us on how we're managing our own affairs. Not the Queen of England or anyone from any other place.
I don't even know if the ROC is a valid term unless you're speaking of English language distinction between it and French QC. Politically and socially, English Canada has some pretty distinct regional elements. Would I say they are more alike than QC, well yeah but I just think we need to be careful lumping English Canada into the same bag of coal, as if Quebec is the only unique or distinct region from something other than it that is all the same. It is not that simple at all and it is not an us vs them situation.

Other than that, I don't think that lectures would boost QC patriotism or nationalism. That is just rhetoric and you probably wouldn't get that from a unified 'ROC', it would need to be some form of legal challenge that would try to centralize powers QC has away from it towards the Federal realm. I don't think that is happening at all, do you? That all said, you can't be a Province in this country without ceding certain powers to Federalism otherwise there would be no point in Canada, not just QC but for everyone else as well.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-08-2019 at 05:33 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 3 days ago)

4,887 posts, read 4,488,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Politically and socially, English Canada has some pretty distinct regional elements.
Can you give us some examples?

Old 08-08-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Can you give us some examples?
I really need to spell out examples in Canada where there are political and social differences in the various regions of our country? Is that really required UL? When I refer to political, i'm more referring to political values of the people more than structural political differences. Those political and social values in different parts of the country really can drive differences in Provincial and Territorial laws.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-08-2019 at 05:20 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 06:18 PM

8 posts, read 723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, aside from equalization* I can't think of anything "extra" that Quebec would systematically get over what other provinces might get. I mean, there is a game of politics that gets played - sometimes Quebec wins, and sometimes it loses. Just like any other province. I suppose that some people pay more attention to Quebec's "wins" than they do to other province's "wins" and Quebec's "losses".

*And equalization isn't even a "for Quebec" thing anyway, but based on a formula that is applied the same way to all provinces.
Your supposed factoids dont even matter because Quebec is the only province that is constantly upstaging our government. PEI might get more equalization payments than Quebec per capita but PEI doesn't try to destroy Canada for her own selfish gains. So you are getting a ton of cash and still are more than ungrateful.

Admit it, you know its true. Can you say its not?

Old 08-08-2019, 06:21 PM

8 posts, read 723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I don't see the Queen as being much of a problem given that she isn't on anyone's radar at all. In fact in Quebec everyday speech if anyone refers to her it'll be as "la reine d'Angleterre", a clear indication (without a bit of malice or the faintest hint of a political statement) that we just don't think of the British royalty as ours.

If there's anything that could potentially boost Quebec patrotism/nationalism these days, it would be the ROC trying to lecture us on how we're managing our own affairs. Not the Queen of England or anyone from any other place.
Since you dont consider yourselves Canadians then we can lecture you all we want because according to you people your just living in our country rent free.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:56 PM

56 posts, read 18,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
Since you dont consider yourselves Canadians then we can lecture you all we want because according to you people your just living in our country rent free.
? That's nonsense. We're Canadians, just not the same type of Canadians as you. Same way a German and a Frenchman are both Europeans, yet they're from clearly distinguishable subsets of that group. Neither refuses the label, and even in the event of a Frexit with a continuing German-led EU we'd see all of them continue to refer to themselves as Europeans.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
Your supposed factoids dont even matter because Quebec is the only province that is constantly upstaging our government. PEI might get more equalization payments than Quebec per capita but PEI doesn't try to destroy Canada for her own selfish gains. So you are getting a ton of cash and still are more than ungrateful.

Admit it, you know its true. Can you say its not?
Aren't you speaking through multiple orifices though? If as you say, QC is leeching off of the Canadian union, than actively trying to separate from it wouldn't be destroying it by your estimation would it? Wouldn't it be more like periodic attempts at saving it? On the other hand, if you are contending they are destroying the country by their periodic pursuits of separation, than it would be logical for a reader to conclude that since they have such power to destroy by separating, that you actually value their inclusion beyond dollars and cents as they are a fundamental piece of the union in order to avert destruction.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:58 PM

56 posts, read 18,560 times
Quote:
Aren't you speaking through multiple orifices though? If as you say, QC is leeching off of the Canadian union, than actively trying to separate from it wouldn't be destroying it by your estimation would it? Wouldn't it be more like periodic attempts at saving it? On the other hand, if you are contending they are destroying the country by their periodic pursuits of separation, than it would be logical for a reader to conclude that since they have such power to destroy by separating, that you actually value their inclusion beyond dollars and cents.
Very good point - under his logic we'd actually be trying to totally help Canada by refusing equalization / removing ourselves from the recipients, not the other way around.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:22 PM

22,053 posts, read 27,530,166 times
Quote:
I don't even know if the ROC is a valid term unless you're speaking of English language distinction between it and French QC. Politically and socially, English Canada has some pretty distinct regional elements. Would I say they are more alike than QC, well yeah but I just think we need to be careful lumping English Canada into the same bag of coal, as if Quebec is the only unique or distinct region from something other than it that is all the same. It is not that simple at all and it is not an us vs them situation.

Other than that, I don't think that lectures would boost QC patriotism or nationalism. That is just rhetoric and you probably wouldn't get that from a unified 'ROC', it would need to be some form of legal challenge that would try to centralize powers QC has away from it towards the Federal realm. I don't think that is happening at all, do you? That all said, you can't be a Province in this country without ceding certain powers to Federalism otherwise there would be no point in Canada, not just QC but for everyone else as well.
I get your point but keep in mind Quebec and even French Canada has roughly analogous differences within it too. Montreal is not the same as Gaspé is not the same as Abitibi is not the same as Lac St Jean is not the same as Outaouais, etc.

Not to mention Acadians, Franco-Ontarians, etc. To some degree even Cajuns and Franco-Americans of the NE US are kind of peripherally part of the equation.

Lots of differences within this huge human space but certainly within Quebec and even beyond its borders no one would deny a certain commonality unlike some of the talk we sometimes hear from Anglo-Canada where Alberta vs Saskatchewan is sometimes equated with Japan vs the Congo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or