U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

22,071 posts, read 27,546,238 times

Advertisements

Is UrbanLuis not an immigrant himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 5 days ago)

4,904 posts, read 4,494,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is UrbanLuis not an immigrant himself?
Yes, the thought of banning people is crazy. I have never or would never suggest that. My parents brought me here when I was a child. But yeah I am an immigrant.

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

12,662 posts, read 11,227,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yeah but not people. You kept saying banning immigrants. That it not what I was getting at. Stop focusing on the one thing and ignoring the rest of what I said. Huge difference between a symbol than banning people but of course you are trying to make out to be something its not.

You talk about the Oath. How long does it take to make the oath? Regardless of what is said, it is really a symbolic gesture. Surely there are more concrete steps that can be taken.
I'm not saying you said to ban immigrants UL, I'm saying you probably would have to implement some sort of ban on certain things in an anti multiculturalism environment. You said ban religious symbols - well that is a ban - sorry man that is a ban - call it another name but you are forbidding people from doing something. I did get into integration policies that you elaborated on. They would be contentious from a rights perspective and probably difficult to manage.

Quote:
Yes, the thought of banning people is crazy. I have never or would never suggest that. My parents brought me here when I was a child. But yeah I am an immigrant.
I just looked back on my posts. I never said you were advocating a ban on immigrants. Just to be clear. By the way - are you from El Salvador?

Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM

19 posts, read 3,458 times
Quote:
Jesus christ why do you keep bringing that up? Stop talking about bans. i never even mentioned anything remotely like that.

Here are a few ways we can integrate people better.

1. Do a better job at spreading out where new comers live, it is not a good idea to ghettoize our cities. Lets actually integrate people. Lets place more in rural areas and small towns. One of the best and quickest ways to learn English is to be in an area where you can't speak your old language. If you want to preserve your language and pass it on to your kids do so at home.

2. Put a greater emphasis on the secular nature of our society and government. Ban all religious symbols in government buildings and schools.

3. Put a greater emphasis on teaching who built this country and its institutions and why we have the country we have today. Sure it was a country built on immigration, but immigration from a very slim group of countries.

4. Put more of an emphasis on being bilingual, learning both official languages.

5. Stop wealthy immigrants from hurting the local middle class (including working class immigrants) with their money to the point they can not buy homes in their own cities.

6. Make sure politicians have no ties or sympathies to religious or ethnic organizations that promote causes over seas. (independence movements, civil and religious conflicts etc etc)

7. Get rid of mutliculturalism as a policy.
Nice! With these first 7 points you would be a very popular man in Quebec!

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

16,170 posts, read 6,381,457 times
Quote:
I feel that the Nation of Quebec has the right to implement what ever bills they see fit. It is a democracy afterall.
Quebec, the former Lower Canada, is a political subdivision of the Royal Dominion of Canada. There are people who live in Quebec who want the rights of Canadians, not the rights that politically bigoted Quebecois choose to give them.

Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

19 posts, read 3,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Quebec, the former Lower Canada, is a political subdivision of the Royal Dominion of Canada. There are people who live in Quebec who want the rights of Canadians, not the rights that politically bigoted Quebecois choose to give them.
JBG can I ask respectfully: If you are a guy in New York city why do have such a disdain for Quebec? Because it is extraordinary to meet American people who are very aware of Quebec, let alone they have formed a strong opinion. Are you just living there or something?

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
JBG can I ask respectfully: If you are a guy in New York city why do have such a disdain for Quebec? Because it is extraordinary to meet American people who are very aware of Quebec, let alone they have formed a strong opinion. Are you just living there or something?
He has a strong Jewish identity. He does not feel that Quebec was sufficiently nice to Jewish people in the past.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

16,170 posts, read 6,381,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
He has a strong Jewish identity. He does not feel that Quebec was sufficiently nice to Jewish people in the past.
One of my prior clients is an Anglophone Montreal Jew. So is one of my tennis partners. And I am in a small NYC suburb, not NYC itself. Enough said.

Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM

34,586 posts, read 41,771,947 times
Quote:
I feel that the Nation of Quebec has the right to implement what ever bills they see fit. It is a democracy afterall.
Question in post 196 nicely dodged .

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Of course, some immigrants can be anti-immigrant themselves. As in "I'm in, so you can pull up the drawbridge now!"

But I never thought you were one of those. You just think that immigrants should make an effort to integrate with their new country.

And based on what I know of you, you don't think this automatically means turning your back on your old country of origin. (As we see with you - you are proud of and defend your Latin American roots, while at the same are well integrated in Canada and express support and respect for its culture.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or