U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 06:58 AM

65 posts, read 52,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You don't post often, sometimes you go years between posts, but I remember about 4 or 5 years ago you said you would immigrate to America instantly if you could. You said that you were going through all the necessary procedures to do so at that time. So how did that work out for you? Are you still living in Canada or did you leave your people and your culture behind and make the move to America and become Americanized?

Nope I went back to the rez instead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 08:47 AM

9,677 posts, read 9,548,861 times
Does Quebec have more in common with the ROC and the US than it does with France?

Old 08-16-2019, 09:08 AM

Can the CAQ be “right-wing” without having nostalgia for the 1950s?

Old 08-16-2019, 09:23 AM

22,216 posts, read 27,659,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Can the CAQ be “right-wing” without having nostalgia for the 1950s?
Well, yesterday the Quebec government ended its hearings on what our new immigration levels should be.

The CAQ wants to curtail immigration a bit, and the business community is going nuts because they say they need even more immigration to address a serious labour shortage.

And the "right-wing" CAQ Premier of Quebec François Legault told them point-blank: maybe you guys should pay your workers more if you want people to apply for all those vacant jobs you have.

Quebec... where the left and right wings come with unexpected twists.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Does Quebec have more in common with the ROC and the US than it does with France?
Overall I'd say it definitely leans more to ROC/USA but it can vary quite a bit depending on what aspect of Quebec society you're talking about. Quebec also has some similarities with the Nordic countries and these are not just related to geography and climate.

There are old threads on here where I've addressed this stuff in quite a bit of detail.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:46 AM

12,790 posts, read 11,288,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And the "right-wing" CAQ Premier of Quebec François Legault told them point-blank: maybe you guys should pay your workers more if you want people to apply for all those vacant jobs you have.

Quebec... where the left and right wings come with unexpected twists.
I think there is some validity to this. Not just pay people more but give a full extended benefits package along with a retirement pension plan. Too many companies are becoming too cheap, and see labour as just something to fill with the lowest wage and smallest long term commitment to employees as possible. You do however, have to factor in that immigrants may have the skills and education levels required for these jobs that the native population who is under or unemployed don't have. So the issue may not be a shortage of low skilled labour, it is a growing shortage of high skilled labour that does a lot more to fuel innovation.

That all said, I think QC could still have a shortage over time - even if all the people who are unemployed were somehow attracted to these better paying/benefits positions and were qualified, which they all probably wouldn't be. The danger in cutting back immigration levels in the present, is that it may not take into account what your labour needs will be in 1, 2 or 5 years and beyond. The natural birth rate in QC is only slightly above the national average, and still very low at that. Couple that with QC being at a net loss in terms of interprovincial migration. Fact is, just like the ROC - Immigration is the primary fuel for population growth in QC so cutting that down, along with poor natural birth rate and migratory loss to other Provinces, Legault could be cutting QC's nose off to spite its face when it comes to long term economic growth and prosperity.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-16-2019 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-17-2019, 10:18 AM

34,724 posts, read 41,916,839 times
What Does Canada Think Of The CAQ Running Quebec

Whats a CAQ?

Old 08-17-2019, 11:39 AM

12,857 posts, read 8,914,259 times
Quote:
On this one I beg to differ. French Canadian cuisine most definitely exists and it is not just a copy of what was imported from France. It is unique, original and native to this country.
Curious as to your list.

Pouding chômeur would count, but tarte au sucre wouldn't.

Would creton count? For me I've always thought of it as a rustic paté. Very Quebecois, but kind of like saying Chicago invented pizza because of deep dish pizza.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Overall I'd say it definitely leans more to ROC/USA but it can vary quite a bit depending on what aspect of Quebec society you're talking about. Quebec also has some similarities with the Nordic countries and these are not just related to geography and climate.

There are old threads on here where I've addressed this stuff in quite a bit of detail.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_model

Doesn’t France have the same?

Old 08-17-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What Does Canada Think Of The CAQ Running Quebec

Whats a CAQ?
Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or