U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-20-2019, 05:06 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,225 posts, read 27,682,814 times
Reputation: 8703

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In what way do Canadians actively support the Queen?
Got any cash in your pocket?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2019, 05:09 AM
 
34,750 posts, read 41,952,338 times
Reputation: 30147
So its got her picture on it,thats not supporting the queen thats just using the currency the Canadian government wants me to use. got any more examples of how we supposedly support the queen?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2019, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,225 posts, read 27,682,814 times
Reputation: 8703
Polls show that about half of Canadians "support" maintaining the current monarchy with Queen Elizabeth II as our head of state. A clear majority supports that in basically all provinces except Quebec.


That's what people mean when they say Canadians "support" the Queen.


It doesn't mean that Canadians are supporting her financially or in other ways that are a "cost" to us.


Though of course the monarchy does have a cost for us related to the Governor General, the Lieutenant Governors of all of the provinces, occasional visits by the British Royals that we pay for...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,225 posts, read 27,682,814 times
Reputation: 8703
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

2) Correct me if I am wrong, but this only applies to employees who would be newly joining a civil job in QC. It does not apply to existing employees with tenure. So basically, you have a double standard and you will still have employees wearing religious symbols in government positions. Talk about daft.
The elephant in the room of course is that obviously the detractors of the bill would be having a "bird" of perfectly comparable intensity to the one they're having over this "double standard" if the CAQ government had instead impose the religious symbol ban on people who were hired before the ban was put in place.


And as far as double standards go, how about having a separate publicly funded school system for one religion (Catholic) but not having anything of the sort available to any other religion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,853 posts, read 11,306,863 times
Reputation: 3874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The elephant in the room of course is that obviously the detractors of the bill would be having a "bird" of perfectly comparable intensity to the one they're having over this "double standard" if the CAQ government had instead impose the religious symbol ban on people who were hired before the ban was put in place.
Doesn't matter - it is still daft imo. Its symbolic and personal. It's almost more of a 'message' than anything else. Hopefully the C.A.Q doesn't extend its symbolism bans to other things beyond religious - probably not but the precedent has been set that something as inane as really inoffensive religious symbols, are banned so who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And as far as double standards go, how about having a separate publicly funded school system for one religion
Oh I totally agree with you - I just didn't want to digress away from the target of this thread. Start up one on Ontario and daft things and i'll help you out lol.. My guess is they don't want to open up that can of worms because regardless of political stripe, it is seen as just pis*ing off a large voter block for not much gain. That may change as Catholicism in Ontario loses representative power. I'm also not a member of Ford Nation and as much as my stomach churns with him as Premier - I LOVE playing the I told you so game with people. I've lived through the Harris/Eves days and I know how the Ontario Provincial Conservatives operate.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2019 at 06:06 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Montreal
450 posts, read 285,029 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Doesn't matter - it is still daft imo. Its symbolic and personal. It's almost more of a 'message' than anything else. Hopefully the C.A.Q doesn't extend its symbolism bans to other things beyond religious - probably not but the precedent has been set that something as inane as really inoffensive religious symbols, are banned so who knows
Fusion2,

If only you knew how inane some of the laws in anglo Canada can appear to people from Quebec!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,853 posts, read 11,306,863 times
Reputation: 3874
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Fusion2,

If only you knew how inane some of the laws in anglo Canada can appear to people from Quebec!
Hey fair enough, but i'll still say that this is largely symbolic and will have no real impact, other than averting a lot of highly qualified candidates from entering Public service in QC. It could also increase out-migrant flow.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2019 at 09:54 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Montreal
450 posts, read 285,029 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Hey fair enough, but i'll still say that this is largely symbolic and will have no real impact, other than averting a lot of highly qualified candidates from entering Public service in QC. It could also increase out-migrant flow.
How's the British monarch doing these days?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 07:46 PM
 
6,198 posts, read 2,364,291 times
Reputation: 2311
Other than the religious symbols law I know next to nothing about the current Quebec government. 9r those of Atlantic Canada. Trying to understand the current Alberta one is enough. And no use trying to understand the Ontario one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:01 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,853 posts, read 11,306,863 times
Reputation: 3874
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
How's the British monarch doing these days?
I don't know. I don't know her, never met her. If you would like to ask though, best you go here.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.50164...!7i8704!8i4352

Last edited by fusion2; 08-26-2019 at 02:11 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top