U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 09:26 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,671,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Hawaii is a US state. Puerto Rico is a US territory.

Doesn't matter - they're both US something and they both got a raw deal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 10:57 PM

9 posts, read 668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Neither one of you is correct about Puerto Rico (or Hawaii for that matter) and I think it's not fair to refer to those places as leeches or drag them down into Beauchamp's dirt. Puerto Rico and Hawaii both basically got annexed, screwed, ripped off and run over, they didn't sign on for what they got - especially PR which not only got screwed, it got royally screwed, blued and tattooed, run over and then trampled over rough shod for good measure. Both of those island nations have had plenty of room for legitimate complaints. There is no comparison between them/USA and Quebec/Canada. Quebec is doing just fine with no room for complaint and we all know it, even the malcontents like BP know it.

You said you arent going to drag us through the dirt. And then you proceed to do just that.

How exactly did we get a raw deal? Englighten us.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:22 PM

399 posts, read 274,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm going to object here to both of you bickerers.

Neither one of you is correct about Puerto Rico (or Hawaii for that matter) and I think it's not fair to refer to those places as leeches or drag them down into Beauchamp's dirt. Puerto Rico and Hawaii both basically got annexed, screwed, ripped off and run over, they didn't sign on for what they got - especially PR which not only got screwed, it got royally screwed, blued and tattooed, run over and then trampled over rough shod for good measure. Both of those island nations have had plenty of room for legitimate complaints. There is no comparison between them/USA and Quebec/Canada. Quebec is doing just fine with no room for complaint and we all know it, even the malcontents like BP know it.

I don't see any point in responding and spoon-feeding delusional, disruptive malcontents who pretend to be Quebecois and pretend to refuse to recognize a good thing Quebec has got when they see it and have nothing better to do with their time than to snivel then gloat then snivel and whine some more on internet forums about the relationship between Canada and Quebec. It's really stupid.

You're right that they aren't comparable.

Your war of conquest that took over Canada (Quebec) was much larger, much more destructive, and nearly destroyed original Canadian culture.

I don't think anyone is that mad about it 2019. The truth is that Quebec is so different from Canada and that is why the majority of the population supports more autonomy. Whether this means independence or more autonomy within Canada.

That is why the majority of Quebec wants more autonomy whilst only a tiny percentage of people in Puerto Rico or Hawaii want independence. Puerto Rico pretty much has the autonomy within the U.S. that most people in Quebec want. Hawaii even has great control over imports and exports coming and going from that state.

Why are you so against that? Why would Puerto Rico have rights that you think are crazy for Quebec to have?

And you are right, by some definitions I am technically not a true Quebecois, since I was born in western Canada and spent many of my formative years in Ontario, including graduating from two Ontario universities.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:40 AM

9,612 posts, read 9,487,386 times
If France won the Seven Years War, would I be speaking French?

Old 08-04-2019, 09:49 AM

34,549 posts, read 41,719,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If France won the Seven Years War, would I be speaking French?
Good possibility as your neck of the woods was controlled by France =
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_...nce_map-en.svg

Old 08-05-2019, 08:09 AM

38 posts, read 7,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You're seriously comparing a national ambivalence about it's relationship to Great Britain and minimal practical Royalty influence due to nothing more than mere "tradition" to your proudly suggesting the only reason to remain within Canada would be the continued Federal bribery to remain?
Speaking of this, why do so many people still support the queen? It is kind of irrelevant now isn't it?

Old 08-05-2019, 08:25 AM

22,022 posts, read 27,508,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfo2 View Post
Speaking of this, why do so many people still support the queen? It is kind of irrelevant now isn't it?
For starters it's a tangible obvious difference between Canada and the United States. And there aren't a million of those things to go around.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For starters it's a tangible obvious difference between Canada and the United States. And there aren't a million of those things to go around.
But the thing is why would it matter if the United States are doing it though?

Old 08-05-2019, 12:35 PM

22,022 posts, read 27,508,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfo2 View Post
But the thing is why would it matter if the United States are doing it though?
No comprendo, sorry.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No comprendo, sorry.
What I mean is why would someone support the queen just because the United States aren't doing it? Why would it matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or