U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

42 posts, read 15,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Further; if it weren't for PB and others on here stirring the pot occasionally, the CAQ, Quebec's status, Quebec's culture etc., would NEVER be thought of at all. So in that context it's akin to those Americans who do not think of Canada ever.
That's so refreshing, when compared to the Canada section of the other forum I'm used to! (SSP.) It's the opposite over there - whenever stuff like that is brought up, it's by people from far away who haven't got a clue (and the tone is obviously super negative and judgmental).

I greatly prefer the way it's done here, FWIW... If you don't have a clue, then don't think of us at all, instead of writing pointless tirades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM

18,398 posts, read 10,457,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
That's so refreshing, when compared to the Canada section of the other forum I'm used to! (SSP.) It's the opposite over there - whenever stuff like that is brought up, it's by people from far away who haven't got a clue (and the tone is obviously super negative and judgmental).

I greatly prefer the way it's done here, FWIW... If you don't have a clue, then don't think of us at all, instead of writing pointless tirades.
One man's pointless tirade another man's accurate assessment.

Here comes Jason Kenney; riding that very wave of irrelevant thought roiled up by the stokers in the boiler rooms of Quebec.

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

32 posts, read 26,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't agree that Canada supports the Queen because America doesn't support the Queen. I think that's a ridiculous and thoughtless, ignorant thing to even think. Canada is a monarchy, America is a republic, and it does NOT matter.

Maybe the monarchy is irrelevant to YOU. You're entitled to your opinion about what is relevant or irrelevant to yourself but your opinion is not the opinion of most Canadians.

In answer to your question: Canada supports the Queen because Canada is a monarchy and the Queen is Canada's monarch. That's what monarchies do, they have monarchs. When the Queen (long may she live) is dead and gone her heir the King will inherit her position as Canada's monarch and Canada will then support the King (long may he live).

It's as simple as that and anyone who lives in Canada should be able to understand that. What is there to not understand about that?

And whether you with your different identity and culture like it or not, and are willing or not willing to support Canada's monarch, if you live in Canada the reigning monarch in Canada is your monarch too.

What there is not to understand about that --- what people don't understand is to support an institution who promotes inequality. Everyone man or woman should be equal before the law. Why should I revere a king or queen who I have nothing to do with. And in my case like so many here they aren't even my real monarch. Why should I have to be a supporter of monarchy? I think that government positions need to be popularly voted and democratic.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

32 posts, read 26,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Agreed.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's all in good sport.
Right up until it isn't.

The risk I see brewing with the likes of Kenny throwing his hat in the ring with his very obvious and declared attempt to ride a wave of anti-Quebec sentiment. Consider what every little additional whining from Quebec does to exacerbate that in the nature of this escalating until someone like Trudeau with his demonstrated lack of political acumen completely drops the ball.

Would you be content or merely complacent if finding the impetus for another referendum coming from someplace other than Quebec? It was all fun and games when only Quebecers were being asked the question but what if dissatisfaction with the continued malcontent behaviour boils up to the point of something being forced upon you without your ability to pattern the response?

I don't take PB lightly as I think he is representative of a much larger segment of Quebec's population than anyone might care to admit. "Get all you can" by threatening to run away from home without ever having any concern for the giver having reached a point of having had enough of that game has worked until now, but you have a whole province seeing Quebec as the single greatest entity standing in the way of their prosperity through guilt by association. Rightly or wrongly, they see their fate being decided by a Quebec-centric federal government with all decisions being taken with considerations for that province's welfare above, and perhaps at the expense of all others..

These are dangerous times with it becoming very obvious to this old dog that people are far more willing to respond to invective and hate than ever before. It could all spiral out of control with the types of immature, inexperienced hands on the helm at present.

Old Today, 01:34 AM

34,550 posts, read 41,708,762 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post

What constitutes anglo Canadian identity outside of being "Not American".
You take great joy in using this term a lot,perhaps you can elaborate on its meaning as i am a proud Canadian that lives in the Province of Quebec and gives very little thought to not being American.

Old Today, 06:42 AM

22,022 posts, read 27,501,119 times
Quote:
Would you be content or merely complacent if finding the impetus for another referendum coming from someplace other than Quebec? It was all fun and games when only Quebecers were being asked the question but what if dissatisfaction with the continued malcontent behaviour boils up to the point of something being forced upon you without your ability to pattern the response?

While I don't wish for Alberta (that you're obviously referring to) to leave the federation, I guess I don't have as strong feelings as you do about them working towards that goal if that's what they feel is best for them.

It would be a shame IMO but ultimately it's not my decision.

Old Today, 06:45 AM

Quote:

I don't take PB lightly as I think he is representative of a much larger segment of Quebec's population than anyone might care to admit. "Get all you can" by threatening to run away from home without ever having any concern for the giver having reached a point of having had enough of that game has worked until now, but you have a whole province seeing Quebec as the single greatest entity standing in the way of their prosperity through guilt by association. Rightly or wrongly, they see their fate being decided by a Quebec-centric federal government with all decisions being taken with considerations for that province's welfare above, and perhaps at the expense of all others..

Oh, and I also see Alberta separatism as a bit of a joke. This is not out of disrespect for Albertans but rather comes from my knowledge of geopolitics. Separatist movements based almost solely on monetary factors never go anywhere. It's also not an "it's only good for Quebec, not for the rest of you guys" thing for me. I'd take a Newfoundland separatist movement a lot more seriously, if one were to get well organized.

Old Today, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
While I don't wish for Alberta (that you're obviously referring to) to leave the federation, I guess I don't have as strong feelings as you do about them working towards that goal if that's what they feel is best for them.

It would be a shame IMO but ultimately it's not my decision.
Cavalier attitude toward another province's welfare while deploring that attitude when discussing yours. Does the irony not cause you pause?.

You and PB earlier missed my implication of Quebec's continued membership within Confederation being brought to discussion by OTHER than those in Quebec, or did you just decide to forego responding to that?

Kenny's anti-Quebec rhetoric, wrapped in a thin disguise of Trudeau repudiation, like it or not, is going to strike a chord with a lot of Canadians. I worry about that escalating exponentially to a degree unforeseen in our recent history. Controlling that will be open to all sorts of confusion by Federal and Quebec pol's.

Old Today, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Cavalier attitude toward another province's welfare while deploring that attitude when discussing yours. Does the irony not cause you pause?.

You and PB earlier missed my implication of Quebec's continued membership within Confederation being brought to discussion by OTHER than those in Quebec, or did you just decide to forego responding to that?

I did not wilfully ignore it, and I actually welcome people from other provinces discussing Quebec issues on here. I also enjoy the occasional non-PC rant as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or