Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 08:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Because we can get so much out of Canada for Quebec.

You feel good about being a leech ? is this what your nation will be based on? who comes next when Canada stops the handouts/freebees? You think America will be so generous and attentive to the French culture? You are right to stay with Canada as you could never make it on your own as you have nothing to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 09:44 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Before leaving, how about they just pay back a portion of the handouts they've been forever the net winners of?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle19192109/

If, as proselytized frequently in boring sing-song verse by significant numbers of them, they've been unfairly whipped into submission by "Les Anglais", why are they so reliant upon charity from that very entity they claim has no consideration for their culture? If, as those same strident screechers so often claim, admiration for the American ethic, why do they not adhere to the same principles of "individualistic self reliance"?

Seems oxymoronic to me to suggest on the one hand they've been conquered and ignored by an uncaring tyrant, to then, in the very next breath state they're going to continue riding the "gravy train" for all it's worth.

I think I've heard much the same refrain from a few 30 year old's living in their parent's basements. "I blame my parents for everything I've failed at" - "I'm not leaving my cocoon without my favourite Teddy Bear."

Not a trait worthy of consideration nor one to be admired.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:22 PM

542 posts, read 502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You think America will be so generous and attentive to the French culture? You are right to stay with Canada as you could never make it on your own as you have nothing to offer.
I don't have any opinion on your idea that the Americans would treat us better than anglo Canada.

They would likely behave in a similar manner.

Interestingly though, it does seem that many regions like Puerto Rico and Hawaii have many privileges that would benefit Quebec, and which would cause an uproar in Canada.

Quote:
You feel good about being a leech ?
I certainly disagree with your accusation that Quebec is a leech.

Anglo Canada better fits the description of a "leech", of the U.S., living off of them whilst basing their entire identity on being "Not American".

Anglo Canada is essentially a Junior League America populated by Junior Americans who aren't allowed to live in America.

Tossed aside by their British superiors, and in a great twist of irony, fledgling anglo Canada decided to copy 90% of it's influence from the other North Americans to the south who rebelled against them.

Quote:
is this what your nation will be based on? who comes next when Canada stops the handouts/freebees?
Quebec, Lower Canada, was the most instrumental region in the creation of Canada.

We have supported your wars, your expansion, your monarch, and so on.

What you call "handouts" already rightfully belong to Quebec.

Your government says so, anyways.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Before leaving, how about they just pay back a portion of the handouts they've been forever the net winners of?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle19192109/
Again, they are rightfully ours, backed by your government and ours.

Quote:
Seems oxymoronic to me to suggest on the one hand they've been conquered and ignored by an uncaring tyrant, to then, in the very next breath state they're going to continue riding the "gravy train" for all it's worth.
Again, it seems you have forgotten that Canada is ours, too. It has simply gone astray from what we agreed to, and so many in anglo Canada seem to relish in this and have disdain for franco Canadians who mark this out.

It can be seen on these boards, as many react with a trigger hair reaction to anything that remotely questions the current state of Canada.

Quote:
If, as proselytized frequently in boring sing-song verse by significant numbers of them, they've been unfairly whipped into submission by "Les Anglais", why are they so reliant upon charity from that very entity they claim has no consideration for their culture? If, as those same strident screechers so often claim, admiration for the American ethic, why do they not adhere to the same principles of "individualistic self reliance"?
I'm not sure why you guys find such a sticking point when we discuss the U.S., I am rather neutral on them, they are simply the most obvious people to compare you to.

They are clearly much more productive, efficient, and innovative, on an entirely different level than you, and like most real nations they have created some form of a culture.

A large chunk of talented anglo Canadians move there at the first opportunity, and a large chunk of immigrants here just "settled" for Canada with the ultimate goal being the U.S.

You yourself spend 6 months of the year in the U.S, if I recall correctly. That is the maximum time you can spend there before you need to return to Canada, so you are actually a good example of this.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I think I've heard much the same refrain from a few 30 year old's living in their parent's basements. "I blame my parents for everything I've failed at" - "I'm not leaving my cocoon without my favourite Teddy Bear."

Not a trait worthy of consideration nor one to be admired.
Yet we fought for Canada's independence in 1838, whilst you contented yourself to remain in "mom and dad's basement" until 1982.

I believe Canadian citizenship came about in the later 1940's.

Canada was more like a 49 year old in mom and dad's basement.

Not that this makes Canada a bad place, but it doesn't make sense some of the things you say.

You had a choice, where Quebec didn't, and you chose the basement for a much longer period.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Keep going PB you are on a roll your delusion is very entertaining. Particularly the parts where you try to make Quebec a relevant part of Canada and North America, interesting you bring up Pueto Rico as Quebec is just like Puerto Rico a small nation that relies totally on the leeching of the mother country for its existance.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:25 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Keep going PB you are on a roll your delusion is very entertaining. Particularly the parts where you try to make Quebec a relevant part of Canada and North America, interesting you bring up Pueto Rico as Quebec is just like Puerto Rico a small nation that relies totally on the leeching of the mother country for its existance.
I'm going to object here to both of you bickerers.

Neither one of you is correct about Puerto Rico (or Hawaii for that matter) and I think it's not fair to refer to those places as leeches or drag them down into Beauchamp's dirt. Puerto Rico and Hawaii both basically got annexed, screwed, ripped off and run over, they didn't sign on for what they got - especially PR which not only got screwed, it got royally screwed, blued and tattooed, run over and then trampled over rough shod for good measure. Both of those island nations have had plenty of room for legitimate complaints. There is no comparison between them/USA and Quebec/Canada. Quebec is doing just fine with no room for complaint and we all know it, even the malcontents like BP know it.

I don't see any point in responding and spoon-feeding delusional, disruptive malcontents who pretend to be Quebecois and pretend to refuse to recognize a good thing Quebec has got when they see it and have nothing better to do with their time than to snivel then gloat then snivel and whine some more on internet forums about the relationship between Canada and Quebec. It's really stupid.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:53 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Yet we fought for Canada's independence in 1838, whilst you contented yourself to remain in "mom and dad's basement" until 1982.

I believe Canadian citizenship came about in the later 1940's.

Canada was more like a 49 year old in mom and dad's basement.

Not that this makes Canada a bad place, but it doesn't make sense some of the things you say.

You had a choice, where Quebec didn't, and you chose the basement for a much longer period.
You're seriously comparing a national ambivalence about it's relationship to Great Britain and minimal practical Royalty influence due to nothing more than mere "tradition" to your proudly suggesting the only reason to remain within Canada would be the continued Federal bribery to remain?

Old 08-03-2019, 12:21 PM

225 posts, read 152,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm going to object here to both of you bickerers.

Neither one of you is correct about Puerto Rico (or Hawaii for that matter) and I think it's not fair to refer to those places as leeches or drag them down into Beauchamp's dirt. Puerto Rico and Hawaii both basically got annexed, screwed, ripped off and run over, they didn't sign on for what they got - especially PR which not only got screwed, it got royally screwed, blued and tattooed, run over and then trampled over rough shod for good measure. Both of those island nations have had plenty of room for legitimate complaints. There is no comparison between them/USA and Quebec/Canada. Quebec is doing just fine with no room for complaint and we all know it, even the malcontents like BP know it.

I don't see any point in responding and spoon-feeding delusional, disruptive malcontents who pretend to be Quebecois and pretend to refuse to recognize a good thing Quebec has got when they see it and have nothing better to do with their time than to snivel then gloat then snivel and whine some more on internet forums about the relationship between Canada and Quebec. It's really stupid.

Seriously I'm not a fan of the way PBeauchamp says these things however he is factually correct about some of history. How the hell did Quebec not get screwed? In our war the death toll was as a percentage the biggest war in our history. That means ever. And everyone was kicked out of Acadie and replaced with British settlers. Now we call it Nova Scotia like they never even existed. But you really deny this happened?

1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_and_Indian_War

2 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_of_the_Acadians

Comments like these are why we have so many stupid problems in Canada and can't just work together. I am positive that 33-40% of Puerto Ricans don't want independence right now. Of course there are guys like PBeauchamps stances in Quebec but it doesn't represent us all. When you respond like this you really just alienate more the other moderate Quebecers. Im not for independence but the people who aren't just malcontents causing trouble. It is based off of reality.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:17 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Hawaii is a US state. Puerto Rico is a US territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada