Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 12:49 PM

143 posts, read 133,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm not finding anything to refute in your last couple of posts.
And that's okay too, you know :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 12:53 PM

26,880 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
I'm not finding anything to refute in your last couple of posts.
Hey now, don't you dare go liking lio more than you like me all of a sudden!

Old 08-06-2019, 01:11 PM

16 posts, read 11,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I didn't miss it but I'm not obligated to answer your question. This thread is a discussion about Quebec in Canada and this is the Canada forum. I'm not interested in further non-related discussions about Hawaii or any other parts of USA here. If you want to know about Hawaii's history and the areas in which it got short-changed then I'd suggest you go research it's history and then maybe post a topic about it in the Hawaii forum. I'll watch for your posts there.

Well you brought us into the conversation and made some confrontational claims so it is fair to ask for an explanation.

No one died in our annexation. It was peaceful and more of a political coup with different factions. I have never been to Canada but If I click on the Wiki links in this thread it looks like many people died in Canada and there were large scale deportations of at least one ethnic group.

I am a native Hawaiian and I dont think we were treated horribly especially compared to native people on the continent. We have no reservations and have been citizens for a long time and we voted in a democratic election to become a state in 1959. That isnt to say things are perfect but Im not sure how you are using Hawaii as an example of being treated like dirt.

Also, usually when minority groups express dissatisfaction, it is usually because they have a reason. You should consider that! It is always a virtue to remain polite and civil. That way we can all learn from each other and make the earth a better place for our children!

Have a good week!

Mahalo

Old 08-06-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:

Of course Kenny's not on Quebec's radar. Why would anyone be surprised at that? Very little of what goes on in the political sphere outside of the VERY insular Quebec ever appears on the general population radar of your typical Quebecois. They're too busy vilifying the ROC and blaming all their perceived ills upon it as they've been indoctrinated to do for generations.
Quebec can only be said be insular vis-à-vis what's going on in the rest of Canada. It looks outside its borders too, only to different parts of the world or at least in different proportions: lots of focus on the US of course but still *way* less preoccupation with what the Americans are doing than the attention Anglo-Canadians pay to them.

Just being less obsessive about the US leaves more attention to goings-on in Europe, and also arguably the Middle East. Quebec also probably pays more attention to sub-Saharan Africa. Though there is noticeably less focus on South and East Asia in Quebec than in Anglo-Canada - we have fewer "human ties" there I suppose.

Attention to Latin America seems about the same.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:31 PM

120 posts, read 71,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quebec can only be said be insular vis-à-vis what's going on in the rest of Canada. It looks outside its borders too, only to different parts of the world or at least in different proportions: lots of focus on the US of course but still *way* less preoccupation with what the Americans are doing than the attention Anglo-Canadians pay to them.

Just being less obsessive about the US leaves more attention to goings-on in Europe, and also arguably the Middle East. Quebec also probably pays more attention to sub-Saharan Africa. Though there is noticeably less focus on South and East Asia in Quebec than in Anglo-Canada - we have fewer "human ties" there I suppose.

Attention to Latin America seems about the same.
Sorry but Quebec is just another province that is just like every other except they speak French. Not much of a difference. To be honest Quebec is lucky we gave them what they have and should spend less time whining and more time being grateful.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:19 PM

120 posts, read 71,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Because we can get so much out of Canada for Quebec.

Frankly, independence, or at least a strong devolution is the course of things, but I am one who prefers to build up Quebec while we are part of the Canadian union.

It is anglo Canada who changed things, by breaking the social contract which made "French Canada" an equal partner, and making us one province out of ten, despite the fact that we started Canada to begin with and originally were 99% of the population.

The arrangement we currently have, the arrangement where Quebec gradually gains more autonomy within the bound of a Canadian union, are a more than fair compromise that placates the anglo Canadians while catering to the majority of Quebec's citizens. Citizens who feel Quebecois first and Canadian second - if Canadian at all.

Look at a country like Switzerland. All ethnic groups co-exist in a devolved union. It's a pretty good deal, and exactly what so many in Quebec hope to achieve.
No, no, no. Canada's government is perfectly fine the way it is and if one things for sure it isn't going to become any sort of French emulation. We don't need to become like Switzerland either. Canada already probably has the highest standard of living in the world anyways. And just because someone thinks their some made up Quebecios nationality that doesn't make it real. Good luck in the future with youre invented independence project then youll realize you destroyed the best country in the world.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
Sorry but Quebec is just another province that is just like every other except they speak French. Not much of a difference. To be honest Quebec is lucky we gave them what they have and should spend less time whining and more time being grateful.
lol... you just joined in order to post this?!?

And who's this "we" who apparently gave us what we have? (We almost certainly existed before them.)

I'm somewhat used to Alberta trolls believing their equalization check is the one and only reason we have schools and hospitals... (based on years on another forum; at first sight I found this place to be refreshingly free of bashing but I may have to reevaluate what I said about C-D's Canada Section if you're anything but a very rare oddity :P)

In fact I could probably dig up and recycle an already prepared counter-post from over there... featuring (relatively impressive urban) pics of 1) downtown Montreal before Alberta (~1900) (i.e. nothing you see in there was in any way shape or form paid by Alberta) and 2) downtown Montreal before Leduc No. 1 (~1945) (i.e. nothing you see in there was in any way shape or form paid by AB oil).

It's kinda telling (and amusing, and also sad) that I'm already prepared for your trolling :P been there done that!

Old 08-06-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
We don't need to become like Switzerland either. Canada already probably has the highest standard of living in the world anyways.
Guess who beats us for standard of living according to most studies/metrics?
Yep, that's right: Switzerland!

https://worldinfigures.com/rankings/topic/9

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

so by your logic, we actually should try to become more like them! Unless you don't like high standards of living for some reason...?

Last edited by Yac; 08-12-2019 at 02:16 AM..

Old 08-06-2019, 08:34 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Sorry OP but when we talk about the issue of a fomenting sentiment of unhappiness with our union - perhaps the discussion should be about another Province entirely.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ta-gets-kicked

Old 08-07-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Sorry OP but when we talk about the issue of a fomenting sentiment of unhappiness with our union - perhaps the discussion should be about another Province entirely.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ta-gets-kicked
As we've said before, though, secessionist movements based on financial dissatisfaction or (cough) greed almost never go anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada