Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 05:06 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In what way do Canadians actively support the Queen?
Got any cash in your pocket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 05:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
So its got her picture on it,thats not supporting the queen thats just using the currency the Canadian government wants me to use. got any more examples of how we supposedly support the queen?

Old 08-20-2019, 06:50 AM

Polls show that about half of Canadians "support" maintaining the current monarchy with Queen Elizabeth II as our head of state. A clear majority supports that in basically all provinces except Quebec.

That's what people mean when they say Canadians "support" the Queen.

It doesn't mean that Canadians are supporting her financially or in other ways that are a "cost" to us.

Though of course the monarchy does have a cost for us related to the Governor General, the Lieutenant Governors of all of the provinces, occasional visits by the British Royals that we pay for...

Old 08-21-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

2) Correct me if I am wrong, but this only applies to employees who would be newly joining a civil job in QC. It does not apply to existing employees with tenure. So basically, you have a double standard and you will still have employees wearing religious symbols in government positions. Talk about daft.
The elephant in the room of course is that obviously the detractors of the bill would be having a "bird" of perfectly comparable intensity to the one they're having over this "double standard" if the CAQ government had instead impose the religious symbol ban on people who were hired before the ban was put in place.

And as far as double standards go, how about having a separate publicly funded school system for one religion (Catholic) but not having anything of the sort available to any other religion.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:57 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The elephant in the room of course is that obviously the detractors of the bill would be having a "bird" of perfectly comparable intensity to the one they're having over this "double standard" if the CAQ government had instead impose the religious symbol ban on people who were hired before the ban was put in place.
Doesn't matter - it is still daft imo. Its symbolic and personal. It's almost more of a 'message' than anything else. Hopefully the C.A.Q doesn't extend its symbolism bans to other things beyond religious - probably not but the precedent has been set that something as inane as really inoffensive religious symbols, are banned so who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And as far as double standards go, how about having a separate publicly funded school system for one religion
Oh I totally agree with you - I just didn't want to digress away from the target of this thread. Start up one on Ontario and daft things and i'll help you out lol.. My guess is they don't want to open up that can of worms because regardless of political stripe, it is seen as just pis*ing off a large voter block for not much gain. That may change as Catholicism in Ontario loses representative power. I'm also not a member of Ford Nation and as much as my stomach churns with him as Premier - I LOVE playing the I told you so game with people. I've lived through the Harris/Eves days and I know how the Ontario Provincial Conservatives operate.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2019 at 06:06 PM..

Old 08-21-2019, 09:20 PM

542 posts, read 503,269 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter - it is still daft imo. Its symbolic and personal. It's almost more of a 'message' than anything else. Hopefully the C.A.Q doesn't extend its symbolism bans to other things beyond religious - probably not but the precedent has been set that something as inane as really inoffensive religious symbols, are banned so who knows
Fusion2,

If only you knew how inane some of the laws in anglo Canada can appear to people from Quebec!

Old 08-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Fusion2,

If only you knew how inane some of the laws in anglo Canada can appear to people from Quebec!
Hey fair enough, but i'll still say that this is largely symbolic and will have no real impact, other than averting a lot of highly qualified candidates from entering Public service in QC. It could also increase out-migrant flow.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2019 at 09:54 PM..

Old 08-25-2019, 07:13 PM

542 posts, read 503,269 times
Quote:
Hey fair enough, but i'll still say that this is largely symbolic and will have no real impact, other than averting a lot of highly qualified candidates from entering Public service in QC. It could also increase out-migrant flow.
How's the British monarch doing these days?

Old 08-25-2019, 07:46 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Other than the religious symbols law I know next to nothing about the current Quebec government. 9r those of Atlantic Canada. Trying to understand the current Alberta one is enough. And no use trying to understand the Ontario one.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
How's the British monarch doing these days?
I don't know. I don't know her, never met her. If you would like to ask though, best you go here.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.50164...!7i8704!8i4352

Last edited by fusion2; 08-26-2019 at 02:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada