Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 11:40 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,450 times

Advertisements

I'm an American originally from Massachusetts and I currently live in Malaysia. My wife's and my long term plans are to eventually return to the US, yet we dont have an exact time frame for that as of now.

My wife Wife is Indian- Malaysian, but she lived in Australia when for 4 years, and in the US with me for about 4 years as well.A big part of me would like to return to the homeland, but I think I've become disenfranchised with the state of affairs back home. My frustration with the US predates Trump, but he has certainly hasn't helped.

I miss my family and New England culture, and even though Mass is better than most states, the lack of workers rights, paid vacation, and universal health care make me a little uncomfortable about bringing my wife back home. In the four years we lived in the States 2010-2014), we never experienced a single racial incident, but on our last visit home to visit family we walked out of a bar because people wouldn't stop staring at us. I know it sounds minor, but the rhetoric coming from the White House certainly doesn't help.

I'm fully aware that Canada isnt some post racial paradise where everything works perfectly, but you have developed certain safeguards that enhance your quality of life.

Recently I contacted a lawyer to see what the process would be to migrate to Canada, but that's about as far as I've gotten. I know the process will take some time,but I have to ask, is it even worth it? Would pur quality if life be any better than if we moved back to New England?

If we did, I would prefer to be closer to family so I'd prefer to be in Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or PEI.

Truth be told, I'd rather go to Nova Scotia or New Brunswick than Toronto or Ottawa because they share a lot of similarities to my native New England, but I also realize where the jobs are

Am I being silly or not?

Last edited by bolehboleh; 08-27-2019 at 11:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 01:35 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Canadians live in igloos. Outhouses dot the barren landscape. It is futile to bring your knowledge to Canada as Canadians are not very smart. Snow has not been stopped, much to the chagrin of newbies. The Canadian government is accommodating to those who complain, and snowploughs plough some streets, but the problem is snowploughs block driveways with snow. That's Canada.

Definitely look for a good climate. The Alberta Clipper can be met full on in Canada, or redirected in New England. Second swing is probably milder. Go South. Canadians promise they will not build The Wall.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:48 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Recently I contacted a lawyer to see what the process would be to migrate to Canada, but that's about as far as I've gotten. I know the process will take some time,but I have to ask, is it even worth it? Would pur quality if life be any better than if we moved back to New England?

If we did, I would prefer to be closer to family so I'd prefer to be in Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or PEI.

Truth be told, I'd rather go to Nova Scotia or New Brunswick than Toronto or Ottawa because they share a lot of similarities to my native New England, but I also realize where the jobs are

Am I being silly or not?
May I ask why you want to leave Malaysia? I have been there a few times and it is a beautiful country. Amazing food - esp Penang and quite affordable for a westerner. Unlike Thailand and some other S.E Asian countries, English is widely spoken and understood. I am sure you have your reasons, but just curious because it is not easy to settle in a new country. Weather wise, as you must know being from New England, Canada is starkly different from Malaysia.

That all said and immigration process aside, for both you and your wife, I'm not really sure your QOL would improve vs New England. The incident in the bar could have just been an outlier. I think you really have to ask yourself if your values as a person have moved to a point that the idea of living in the U.S, is frustrating you to the point you really don't want to go back. You will definitely find that Canadians aren't as politically charged as Americans in general and are more laid back.

Canada isn't without its problems, but it would be new to you and you wouldn't have to carry any baggage. It would be a fresh start for sure. As for places to live, Halifax may be a good compromise, but as you mentioned jobs. Really, I think that would be the missing link here. I know you have spoken to a Lawyer, but it might not be all that easy unless you have some sort of skill that is in need here. So I can't underscore how important that part of the process would be. No sense putting a lot of energy into this unless you know you have some sort of realistic eligibility, and what I am thinking is a skill that is needed in Canada.

On your next trip home to New England, why not pop up for a week or so. Get a feel for things. Talk to people. Network a bit but don't get too wrapped up in it until you really sort out eligibility for you and your wife!

Old 08-28-2019, 07:00 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,100,245 times
I can't speak for quality of life in Canada since I don't live there. But you may be painting too rosy a picture. Picking up and moving to a different country is much more complicated than moving to another state. As fusion2 states, you need to have an in-demand skill that's hard to find in Canada. I imagine they already have their share of neurosurgeons, arborists, and piano technicians.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:33 AM

Malaysia is the fourth country I've lived in and I've been to Canada more times than I can remember. Most of those trips were to Montreal, but I've also been to Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City and Nova Scotia.

I had to rule out Quebec all together (even though Montreal is my favorite Canadian city) because I can barely remember my HS French. Vancouver has the climate I like, but if I'm going to be that far from home, I might as well stay in Malaysia. Malaysia is a great country, but I've been here for 10 years (in Asia total of 12) and I've started to realize something about myself over the last year or so. I spend years here really trying to adapt to the local culture, most of my friends are local and I'm the only non Asian in my office. I have always prided myself in my ability to integrate to the local culture.

But strangely enough, back in February I was in Sydney Australia for work and I realized that I was able to interact with local more easily that I do when I'm home in Malaysia or traveling or working around Asia. I think it went beyond just our common language, but our similar backgrounds and shared Western culture. Basically, I realized just how "Western" I was.

Australia, US, and Canada have considerable differences, but I also realized that these countries share a common ancestry, history and a bit of culture - a culture that I felt more comfortable in. I'm also pretty damn homesick and I'd like to be closer to my Mom since we lost my father back in January.

Canada interests me because of the overall safeguards and welfare that exist should we need them. My wife, who lived in Aussie for 4 years, was shocked that a developed, first world nation such as the US had no universal healthcare and a worker could be fired over nothing. Even Malaysia has a public/private healthcare system and reasonable safeguards for white collar employees.

Massachusetts is certainly one of the better (maybe best states) for health care and insurance and protection for workers, but as long as we still have high deductibles and corporations controlling our government, we'll never feel completely secure. The nearest reasonable sized Canadian city to Massachusetts (outside of Quebec) is St. John, NB (I could drive to Mass in 6 hours), but it doesn't look like it has much of an economy, so Toronto or Ottawa would be my top choices. But then again, if there's no improvement to our quality of life compared to what we might have in Mass or other NE states, then we won't bother.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Malaysia is the fourth country I've lived in and I've been to Canada more times than I can remember. Most of those trips were to Montreal, but I've also been to Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City and Nova Scotia.

I had to rule out Quebec all together (even though Montreal is my favorite Canadian city) because I can barely remember my HS French. Vancouver has the climate I like, but if I'm going to be that far from home, I might as well stay in Malaysia. Malaysia is a great country, but I've been here for 10 years (in Asia total of 12) and I've started to realize something about myself over the last year or so. I spend years here really trying to adapt to the local culture, most of my friends are local and I'm the only non Asian in my office. I have always prided myself in my ability to integrate to the local culture.

But strangely enough, back in February I was in Sydney Australia for work and I realized that I was able to interact with local more easily that I do when I'm home in Malaysia or traveling or working around Asia. I think it went beyond just our common language, but our similar backgrounds and shared Western culture. Basically, I realized just how "Western" I was.

Australia, US, and Canada have considerable differences, but I also realized that these countries share a common ancestry, history and a bit of culture - a culture that I felt more comfortable in. I'm also pretty damn homesick and I'd like to be closer to my Mom since we lost my father back in January.

Canada interests me because of the overall safeguards and welfare that exist should we need them. My wife, who lived in Aussie for 4 years, was shocked that a developed, first world nation such as the US had no universal healthcare and a worker could be fired over nothing. Even Malaysia has a public/private healthcare system and reasonable safeguards for white collar employees.

Massachusetts is certainly one of the better (maybe best states) for health care and insurance and protection for workers, but as long as we still have high deductibles and corporations controlling our government, we'll never feel completely secure. The nearest reasonable sized Canadian city to Massachusetts (outside of Quebec) is St. John, NB (I could drive to Mass in 6 hours), but it doesn't look like it has much of an economy, so Toronto or Ottawa would be my top choices. But then again, if there's no improvement to our quality of life compared to what we might have in Mass or other NE states, then we won't bother.
Well wherever you end up good luck. I hope your wife doesn't get homesick for Malaysia
Don't give up on Canada. It might be possible with your skills. Hey, no harm in trying and i'm sorry to hear about your father! I know how important family is and how fragile and temporary life is.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:13 PM

6,044 posts, read 5,952,208 times
My first thought would be how a Malaysian adapts to Canada's cold climate. I would have thought Australia, among the three mentioned countries would have possibly been the most suitable? Close to Malaysia, as feasible to return regularly. A far more conducive climate to someone from The Tropics. A large and growing Malaysian population already established. A country where Indian born have in recent times become the main source of immigrants.

My impression about The Atlantic Provence's would be fewer Asian folk, hence more visibility. No idea about the reception level in those parts, the remoteness, the connectivity. but only place in Canada I would choose all being equal would be Montreal on a personal level perhaps Toronto a distant second.
I too love Malaysia, not there as long as OP, but still a few years, enough to know some of the pro's and con's. It is a place on the radar for retirement along with a few others, but I too enjoyed 'escaping' to fly to London or Australia at times there for a change more than anything.
A lot to consider moving to Canada or indeed any of the countries mentioned. Life is so busy and expensive these days with the hamster wheel hardly ever appear to stop turning for too many folk caught up in it all. A lot depends on the sort of life you can afford and not being swayed by certain appearances . Life is rather lonely for many in The West these days but obviously holds certain attractions.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
My first thought would be how a Malaysian adapts to Canada's cold climate. I would have thought Australia, among the three mentioned countries would have possibly been the most suitable? Close to Malaysia, as feasible to return regularly. A far more conducive climate to someone from The Tropics. A large and growing Malaysian population already established. A country where Indian born have in recent times become the main source of immigrants.

My impression about The Atlantic Provence's would be fewer Asian folk, hence more visibility. No idea about the reception level in those parts, the remoteness, the connectivity. but only place in Canada I would choose all being equal would be Montreal on a personal level perhaps Toronto a distant second.
I too love Malaysia, not there as long as OP, but still a few years, enough to know some of the pro's and con's. It is a place on the radar for retirement along with a few others, but I too enjoyed 'escaping' to fly to London or Australia at times there for a change more than anything.
A lot to consider moving to Canada or indeed any of the countries mentioned. Life is so busy and expensive these days with the hamster wheel hardly ever appear to stop turning for too many folk caught up in it all. A lot depends on the sort of life you can afford and not being swayed by certain appearances . Life is rather lonely for many in The West these days but obviously holds certain attractions.
I think the allure of being close to family is appealing to him. Hence the reason he focused on the Provinces closest to them in New England. Being from New England, the OP would be more than well aquainted with cold weather, and his wife also lived in New England for 4 years as per his post, so cold isn't foreign to her it would appear. Not that Australia isn't a good choice, but it isn't exactly close to his home or family. Halifax would be. Its a nice little city actually in a beautiful part of Canada. Big enough not to feel as though you are in the middle of nowhere, yet small enough that you don't feel like you are in that hamster wheel you referred to. Plus it is within a 2 hour flight to Boston and 3 hour flight to a collection of cities with a population of between 60-70 million people.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-28-2019 at 09:00 PM..

Old 08-29-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think the allure of being close to family is appealing to him. Hence the reason he focused on the Provinces closest to them in New England. Being from New England, the OP would be more than well aquainted with cold weather, and his wife also lived in New England for 4 years as per his post, so cold isn't foreign to her it would appear. Not that Australia isn't a good choice, but it isn't exactly close to his home or family. Halifax would be. Its a nice little city actually in a beautiful part of Canada. Big enough not to feel as though you are in the middle of nowhere, yet small enough that you don't feel like you are in that hamster wheel you referred to. Plus it is within a 2 hour flight to Boston and 3 hour flight to a collection of cities with a population of between 60-70 million people.
Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say. Sure, I'd love to move to Australia, mainly cuz I'm no fan of the cold, but being near family and ensuring my wife's security is what matters to me most.

Last time I was in Toronto was 20 years ago and it was nice, diverse, but a bit sterile. Last time I was in Halifax was when I was a kid and I know one guy there that I used to work with here in Malaysia. Nova Scotia has always appealed to me because it has that rugged New England coastline, with fewer people but one nice sized city .

I don't know what we're gonna do but I just wanted to send out some feelers

Old 08-29-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say. Sure, I'd love to move to Australia, mainly cuz I'm no fan of the cold, but being near family and ensuring my wife's security is what matters to me most.

Last time I was in Toronto was 20 years ago and it was nice, diverse, but a bit sterile. Last time I was in Halifax was when I was a kid and I know one guy there that I used to work with here in Malaysia. Nova Scotia has always appealed to me because it has that rugged New England coastline, with fewer people but one nice sized city .

I don't know what we're gonna do but I just wanted to send out some feelers
Hey trust me bolehboleh, i'm not a fan of the cold too. I'm in my 40's now and increasingly I am less of a fan, but work and family are more important to me than just picking up and moving to S.E Asia myself lol.. It is no secret in here, that the part of the world you are in now, is my favourite. Toronto has changed a lot in the last 20 years. Very much so that it is no longer much of a point judging it from so long ago.

I agree with you about Halifax though - it is an awesome little city. There is also a decent little slice of diversity there. Its on a smaller scale than the larger cities, but you still get that mix of Black, Arab, Chinese, South Asian and a respectable number of Filipino's and even a small number -860 of them from 'SE Asia' so as per StatsCan.

Anyway, you are right, no harm in putting out feelers and getting information in order to make a sound decision. You seem to be a type who is open minded enough, and smart enough to make an informed decision - except your historical judgement of Toronto vs how it is more like now lol

Good luck buddy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada