U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 09:27 AM

10,148 posts, read 11,934,389 times

Advertisements

In the spirit of the current government's move towards reconciliation with Canada's indigenous population, what do you think of legislation making all living indigenous languages in Canada official languages? In terms of what form the legislation that would take, perhaps expanding what already exists in the NWT nationwide. So that means roughly documents and services would only be available in an indigenous language where there is enough need that warrants it. It could also allow more funding to help with ongoing revival and expansion efforts with language in indigenous communities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northw...ories#Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 11:20 AM

7,342 posts, read 6,636,323 times
Sure. Why not? The more languages the merrier.

Seriously, yes I'm all for more of the indigenous languages being recognized as official languages but they can't ALL be made official, there are too many of them. I sure wouldn't want the job of selecting which ones will be official and which ones won't. That is a LOT of languages to sort through and determine their status - there over 60 distinct dialects and at least 35 separate recognized indigenous languages in just BC alone and so many more across the rest of Canada.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:03 PM

385 posts, read 268,733 times
Perhaps, but realistically, what's the point?

French is an official language, and a major world language, yet most anglo Canadians make no effort to learn it. We hear more complaining than anything.

If French is a burden, what are the chances they will learn or care about Ojibwe?

Canada is among the most backwards in the western hemisphere when it comes to treatment of our First Nations people.

Worse than the US or Mexico, undoubtedly.

I am skeptical that pretending that Haida is an official language would change anything except on paper.

Until regular Canadians stop patting themselves on the backs for being "open-minded" and make concerted, individual efforts to solve these issues, I don't believe any government legislation on language will have any real effect.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:10 PM
Status: "Moving back to Sweden after 13 years..." (set 10 days ago)

11 posts, read 2,555 times
Anglo Canadians should learn French first and then worry about minority languages...

Old 07-24-2019, 10:02 PM

7,342 posts, read 6,636,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden America View Post
Anglo Canadians should learn French first and then worry about minority languages...

Should? There is no "should". This isn't about other people needing to learn any other languages, it's about having indigenous languages declared official languages of Canada, the way English and French are official languages of Canada.

I can think of an additional 3 or 4 other very common languages besides English, French, or Indigenous that I would be happy to see declared official languages of Canada but that sure doesn't mean I'd have any intention of learning them. Why should I?

Old 07-25-2019, 07:28 AM

34,500 posts, read 41,630,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden America View Post
For most Canadians theres no point in learning French as they are never going nto use it as almost all French in Canada is spoken in Quebec.If you live in Quebec by all means its in your best interest to learn French

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langua..._Canada-fr.svg

Old 07-25-2019, 12:11 PM

155 posts, read 103,846 times
Making all indigenous languages official would require translating all official documents to all those languages

An unnecessary use of money

Old 07-25-2019, 12:38 PM

34,500 posts, read 41,630,408 times
Quite the task eh =
Quote:
Abenaki Algonquin Babine-Witsuwit'en Beothuk Blackfoot Broken Slavey Bungee Carrier Cayuga Coast Tsimshian Chilcotin Chinook Jargon Chipewyan Comox Cree Ditidaht Dogrib Gwich’in Haida Haisla Halkomelem Hän Heiltsuk-Oowekyala Innu Inuinnaqtun Inuktitut Inupiaq Inuvialuktun Kaska Ktunaxa Kwak'wala Lillooet Malecite-Passamaquoddy Michif Mi'kmaq Mohawk Munsee Naskapi Nicola Nuu-chah-nulth Nuxalk Okanagan Ojibwe Oneida Onondaga Ottawa Potawatomi Saanich Sarcee Sechelt Sekani Seneca Shuswap Squamish Slavey Tagish Tahltan Thompson Tlingit Tuscarora Tutchone Wyandot
Regional Inuktitut

Old 07-25-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf91 View Post
Making all indigenous languages official would require translating all official documents to all those languages

An unnecessary use of money
No, if you see what I posted above with regards to the existing law in the NWT, translating documents into these languages would only happen if it is requested by an indigenous person/organization

Old 07-25-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Quite the task eh =
I think Beothuk is extinct and so wouldn't be included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or