U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 09:01 PM

38,308 posts, read 56,116,718 times

Advertisements

Yeah... This seem to be little more sophisticated than others, but my guess is that the ones with exact temperature display are a bit more expensive.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...steel/12307488

According to:
https://ca.vwr.com/store/category/en...erators/595021
General-purpose refrigerators are ideal economical units for when precise temperature control and maintenance are not essential and there are no requirements for temperature alarms.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 09:13 PM

55 posts, read 25,707 times
Heres the best one i've found after 6 hours of research, a Whirlpool model 18 cu feet at $995/ $945/ Whirlpool 19.2 cu or 18 cu, it has a 4 l.e.d. digital setting located in the fridge area (you have to press and hold a button to increase the cold setting by 1--to 4 max), whereas the cheaper models just have a 3 setting max. The 4th setting would be the coldest but it doesnt state the actual temperature in degrees. The third green light is the recommended setting, theres a 4th, I guess they dont seem to care to indicate whats the temperature for the 4 settings. Dont know why when thats the most important factor about a fridge, how frizing cold it gets.

I also think all refrigerators don't make the top freezer compartment big enough. Should be half and half, theres not 1 out there like that on this planet. I mean I dont buy that many eggs and milk. Most people's freezers are always stuffed to the hilt, but not the fridge section.
Attached Thumbnails
FRIDGES in Canada are not cold enough at 40 degrees F/milk will last longer at 34 degrees F.-stainless-steel-whirlpool-top-freezer-refrigerators  

Last edited by domic; 07-31-2019 at 09:26 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 09:31 PM

17,996 posts, read 54,425,750 times
I hate that you are having to expend all that energy to accomplish something that is easily possible for us geeks. Modern refrigerators have a control board that does all the temperature control. If you look hard online, you can find the various settings that are used to correct for components outside of normal ranges. You can tell the control board that it isn't cooling enough and get a while new range of coldness settings. There are other tricks you can use, like resetting the selsyn stop on the damper door to remain a little open. Obviously, such stuff voids warranties and isn't for the faint of heart.

If you just want you milk to last longer - put it into smaller bottles and freeze most of them, taking one out when you want more. With milk at $1.10/gal locally, I just make cheese or yogurt with the excess.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I hate that you are having to expend all that energy to accomplish something that is easily possible for us geeks. Modern refrigerators have a control board that does all the temperature control. If you look hard online, you can find the various settings that are used to correct for components outside of normal ranges. You can tell the control board that it isn't cooling enough and get a while new range of coldness settings. There are other tricks you can use, like resetting the selsyn stop on the damper door to remain a little open. Obviously, such stuff voids warranties and isn't for the faint of heart.

If you just want you milk to last longer - put it into smaller bottles and freeze most of them, taking one out when you want more. With milk at $1.10/gal locally, I just make cheese or yogurt with the excess.
Can you invent a "smart" fridge with temperature control in degrees for $999 and under??

I know about those fridges with damper doors or lids that open when it needs to make the fridge colder, then the lid closes. I tried that years ago with one of my fridges, and placed an object in that lid to always keep the lid open, it actually did keep the fridge colder at around 34 or 33, but when looking at the descriptions online, I can't tell by looking which fridges actually have those lids that open and close to allow me to do that again. Thats another kind of fridge im looking for but by the actual pictures of fridges makes it hard to determine which lids open and closes unless I go in person at home depot or other store. My fridge that broke down (and so many others) just have a vent with some holes in it that brings the cold air from the freezer into the fridge with no lid or door at all.

Tomorrow will be day 2 in searching for a fridge that either has a temperature control in degrees F that will indicate in the online description the coldest temp it reaches, or a fridge with a lid or door that opens and closes so I could stick a carrot in it (or solid object) to keep it open all the time.

Last edited by domic; 07-31-2019 at 10:12 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 10:07 PM

38,308 posts, read 56,116,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domic View Post

I also think all refrigerators don't make the top freezer compartment big enough. Should be half and half, theres not 1 out there like that on this planet. I mean I dont buy that many eggs and milk. Most people's freezers are always stuffed to the hilt, but not the fridge section.
Come on, now. Refrigerators come in many, many shapes and sizes. The variety is pretty big.
Plenty of half&half fridges on this planet:
Electrolux EI12BF25US 24" 11.8 cu. ft. Refrigerator
https://www.designerappliances.com/e...i12bf25us.html
https://www.indesit.co.uk/i/cooling/...-black/f155528
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/hotpoi...-criteria.html
https://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-kgn3...white/p3229202
https://www.johnlewis.com/beko-cfp16...white/p2779418
https://www.johnlewis.com/miele-kfn2...white/p3573692
etc...
etc...

The thing is that consumers don't favor freezers on the top. They use fridge more than the freezer, and they mind the bending everytime they want to reach something from fridge.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 07-31-2019 at 10:29 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 10:51 PM

1,742 posts, read 810,146 times
We have a Sub Zero fridge that keeps everything at 34 degrees, and can be set by temperature. It was only USD 11,000.

In my experience, non-UHT milk won't keep for a month, even at 34 degrees. If you really want milk to last that long, buy UHT milk that's good for 6 weeks after opening.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:29 AM
KCZ

1,712 posts, read 990,503 times
Quote:
I'm having the same problem im having 15 years ago when searching for a new refrigerator (with freezer on top). My previous fridge never got colder than 40 degrees fahrenheit. Milk doesn't last as long as compared to when fridges used to hit 34 degrees with extreme ease and rather quickly(1970s-1980s), but some big cheese in the fridge world decided that there were too many complaints of milk/eggs freezing in those older type of fridges and have set the temps of almost all fridges ever since then to be around the 40 degree mark if im correct about this.

NONE of the fridges I searched so far online (12 and counting) have a temperature control setting IN DEGREES FAHRENHEIT, its always a setting low to high in numbers or led lights. And even of those types there is no possible way to know what temperatures in degrees F the fridge will reach at because there are some (but not many) that will reach 35/34 degrees at the coldest, but which ones are they??? They don't indicate that anywhere. So I end up spending a good $1000 to find out once again the coldest my fridge will get is 40.

I love to buy alot of milk and eggs and want the milk to last a good month or longer but by week 4 or sooner the milk at 40 degrees starts to taste funny. Had that milk been kept in a crisp and cold 34 or 35 degrees F, it would still taste excellent after a month. Can a person have the right to set a temperature in degrees F at their own choosing instead of a big cheese company deciding for us?

It seems im going to have to spend days and days of research on the internet to find out which fridges are the coldest and at what temperature as all my food in my broken refrigerator goes bad. Time to order take out pizza every day and night, with alot of coke, but I hope they bring me alot of ice with it.

ANYONE have a clue which refrigerator brand with freezer on top hits a nice and cold 35/ 34 or even 33 degrees F? I don't care to have it at 33 but if theres a fridge that will hit that then it will not have a prob in hitting 35. Bring back the 1980s please when things were easier.
Quote:
I checked it out, "Electronic temperature control, makes it easy to change the temperature when you need to", BUT it doesn't show the coldest setting in degrees that you can set it to. I think you actually have to go to a store in person to check out the ones on display in order to find out. They don't include those details on line in the description anywhere.

I don't live in Canada, but I have 2 Haier's and an LG here in the US that have temperature control settings in degrees F/C, not some 1-5 scale. The settings seem pretty accurate but the fridge/freezer temps vary more with how frequently and how long someone leaves the door open. If you want to learn the lowest setting, don't look at the online description, find the owner's manual online and check the info there.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:28 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,209,585 times
OP, I hear you. The choices in Canada suck for appliances.

Why don't you shop for a fridge in the states, have it delivered to a border town nearest you and go pick it up?

That's what we did when we moved into our new house in 2013. We wanted an almond-bone coloured fridge, with a bottom freezer drawer. We couldn't find anything like that in Canada, so we shopped online in the states and found exactly what we wanted. We got ours through Sears US. (a Kenmore)

We were lucky that the exchange rate was decent back then. Unfortunately for you, the exchange rate is higher, but you'll will get what you want.

Our fridge has been perfect for us. We keep our temperature at 36 which keeps our milk and eggs fresh for a long time.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:21 AM

Ok thanks.

Looks like a youtube video- https://youtu.be/2hp0xdfeWx8, confirms a whirlpool refrigerator (model # WRT511SZDM) keeps the fridge nice and cold at 34 or 35, even colder at colder settings, just what im looking for although he titled this video "This Whirlpool fridge might be too cold for its own good", but thats nonsense, because you could adjust the setting anywhere from 50, 45 to 33 or even a colder 30 in the fridge, (if you could adjust the setting to 30, you'll know for a fact such fridge will easily hit 34) the way fridges are supposed to be. Finally I found a fridge where its been confirmed the coldest temps it can reach IF its still available for purchase somewhere-

***"The Good- The Whirlpool WRT511SZDM is the most powerful top freezer we've ever tested, with consistently low temperatures throughout the entirety of the fridge."

"The Bad" (not bad in my case. you can always adjust the temp the way ya want it)- "Those temperatures were often too low, with main shelves falling below the freezing point even at the default setting. The design is also pretty plain, and there aren't any features worth getting excited about."

"The Bottom Line If your refrigerator's cooling performance matters more to you than fancy features or design flourishes, then this Whirlpool workhorse deserves your consideration."

Although some customers asked the question on other models at homedepot.ca, whats the coldest temperature in fridge, some replied 35 is the coldest, while others for the same model replied 40 is the coldest, you figure. I asked that question on a few other models and waiting for their reply.

Last edited by domic; 08-01-2019 at 06:55 AM..

Old 08-01-2019, 07:53 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,488,878 times
Quote:
Ok thanks.

Our fridge had a 10 degree temp swing, and I ended up with food poisoning a couple times, one even included an expensive trip to the Emergency room due to Hamburger Helper that almost killed me. I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and was then able to keep the temp swings lower than 40 degrees in the fridge, and at 0 in the freezer.

We finally got tired of that fridge because it was smaller, and recently bought a Whirlpool french door fridge. I just moved the remote thermometer over to it. This fridge is much better at keeping lower temps. With that remote thermometer, I now have peace of mind I'm not as likely to get food poisoned again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or