U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 07:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 27,481,887 times

Advertisements

My Samsung is set at 3c or 37f. Freezer is -19c or just below zero f.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:25 PM

38,312 posts, read 56,116,718 times
I think you are too obsessed with the 40F temperature. You are trying to say that ALL Canadian refrigerators don't cool below 40F.
How did you measure that if there is just a knob, but no temperature display? Perhaps your thermometer isn't accurate?
Here, the best thermometer for a fridge:
https://removeandreplace.com/wp-cont...frigerator.jpg

Temperature settings explained:
https://removeandreplace.com/wp-cont...mmendation.jpg

If your food isn't cold enough in your fridge, there could be many reasons why:
- Obstructed airflow in the freezer
- Obstructed airflow in the fridge
( obstructed by the food you placed where the air flow. Do you know where that is?) The vents have to be clear for cold air to circulate.
- Fridge is opened too often for too long
- The seal around the door is missing, cracked or deteriorating.
- The food placed in the fridge is too warm
- Coils are clogged ( do you clean them, ever?). Check if the fan is clean and runs when the compressor is running.
- The fridge has cracks in the wall(s)
- Not enough food in the fridge to make the temps stable.
By keeping your fridge full, there's less air space and less cold air to be exchanged with the warm air from your kitchen.
Recommendations are to fill the fridge quite full, if not then fill the space with paper balls or jugs with water.

Anyway, are you sure none of the above apply to your fridge?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:46 PM

7,375 posts, read 6,654,203 times
My Whirlpool fridge (purchased here in Canada 6 years ago) has a temperature adjusting dial inside the top freezer section. I can adjust the temperature inside the fridge by adjusting the temperature of the freezer. The fan sends the cold air from the freezer compartment down into the fridge compartment. The colder the freezer is set, the colder the fridge is. I have my freezer set at medium so that the temperature inside the fridge section is 35F (I do NOT want my eggs and dairy products and things in glass jars to freeze and break in the fridge) but if I wanted to, like when the fridge is jam-packed full or if we're having a heat wave here for example, I can set it to get even colder than that to well below freezing inside the fridge.

OP - if you can't find a fridge that you can adjust to your satisfaction you might have to adjust yourself instead - I'd suggest you adjust your shopping habits and go shopping twice a month instead of once a month and just buy a little less milk on each shopping trip. Then the milk won't get a chance to start going off before you replace it with fresh.

Old Yesterday, 03:01 AM

2,068 posts, read 1,222,403 times
The inverter ones can run colder without freezing, because the compressor can run at a much lower speed, so there is no off on. Saves energy, too, just like the inverter airconditioners.

Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,650,616 times
Stop looking online.

Milk for over a month? Have they considered buying a cow?

Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM

1,341 posts, read 746,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domic View Post
Folks, they don't indicate ANYWHERE what temperatures the fridges actually reach from lowest to highest and I think thats ridiculous. Is it 2019 or 1919?? (oh I know, there were no home refrigerators in 1919 but I bet the 1930 models got nice and cold but not today, 40 degree refrigerators suck).
Maybe if you posted your budget that you're willing to spend, that would help.

I can set my fridge (and freezer) to an exact temperature. Mine is also connected to the internet but I'm sure there are others that have digital selections as well.

Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

7,375 posts, read 6,654,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Maybe if you posted your budget that you're willing to spend, that would help.

I can set my fridge (and freezer) to an exact temperature. Mine is also connected to the internet but I'm sure there are others that have digital selections as well.
Say what ?!? Your fridge is connected to internet? Why?

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

55 posts, read 25,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Say what ?!? Your fridge is connected to internet? Why?

hahaha.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

55 posts, read 25,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think you are too obsessed with the 40F temperature. You are trying to say that ALL Canadian refrigerators don't cool below 40F.

If your food isn't cold enough in your fridge, there could be many reasons why:
- Obstructed airflow in the freezer
- Obstructed airflow in the fridge
( obstructed by the food you placed where the air flow. Do you know where that is?) The vents have to be clear for cold air to circulate.
- Coils are clogged ( do you clean them, ever?). Check if the fan is clean and runs when the compressor is running.
Recommendations are to fill the fridge quite full, if not then fill the space with paper balls or jugs with water.

Anyway, are you sure none of the above apply to your fridge?
MY REFRIGERATOR REPAIR MAN SAVED THE DAY AND MY FRIDGE. After his simple repair of replacing the temperature control on to off switch in the fridge, the fridge worked again. AND he even made my fridge much colder, its now a crisp and cold 34.4 degrees displayed from a very accurate and correct digital thermometer that I own and keep in there.

The problem before my fridge broke was something like you explained, I kept the freezer too cold at highest setting (the icecream was always hard like a rock) and there was always ice build up obstructing the cold air flow to some degree between the freezer and fridge.

AFTER I EXPLAINED A WANTED A VERY COLD FRIDGE, THE REPAIR GUY MADE AN IMPROVEMENT TO MY FRIDGE that will gaurantee 100% it can reach even a freezing 30 degrees.(not that i will set it that way, but if it can reach 30 then it can easily reach 34 by me adjusting the temp switch in the fridge to the appropiate level by me testing the temps until I get a perfect 34 which it is almost now). What my repair man did was, he asked me if I wanted him to remove the air damper control dial in my freezer (that controls the cold air flow entering the freezer and fridge compartments). By removing it means I will get a 100% obstruction free flow into my fridge at all times. If my fridge gets too cold, simply lower the temp dial in fridge which I did, its a little more than the 3/4 mark). And the temp is perfect in my fridge and freezer as well, I can finally eat softer icecream and everything stays frozen, and fridge is 34 or soon will be. The repair guy will install that damper dial back in freezer only if im not happy with the temps in both the fridge and freezer, so far im happy.

BUT its also true as I explained it, there are many fridges that only reach a coldest temp of 37 or 40 when bought brand new with no obstruction in air flow vents, such as the ones I bought.(one that I bought years ago, manager in store said all his fridges do not get colder than 40). In fact on internet a manufacturer explained that all his fridges made at factory do not get colder than 37 degrees. I would rather have it at 34 thank you.

Last edited by domic; Yesterday at 08:54 PM..

Old Today, 04:18 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,650,616 times
This thread is pretty OCD. Is it real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or