U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM

52 posts, read 23,354 times

Advertisements

I'm having the same problem im having 15 years ago when searching for a new refrigerator (with freezer on top). My previous fridge never got colder than 40 degrees fahrenheit. Milk doesn't last as long as compared to when fridges used to hit 34 degrees with extreme ease and rather quickly(1970s-1980s), but some big cheese in the fridge world decided that there were too many complaints of milk/eggs freezing in those older type of fridges and have set the temps of almost all fridges ever since then to be around the 40 degree mark if im correct about this.

NONE of the fridges I searched so far online (12 and counting) have a temperature control setting IN DEGREES FAHRENHEIT, its always a setting low to high in numbers or led lights. And even of those types there is no possible way to know what temperatures in degrees F the fridge will reach at because there are some (but not many) that will reach 35/34 degrees at the coldest, but which ones are they??? They don't indicate that anywhere. So I end up spending a good $1000 to find out once again the coldest my fridge will get is 40.

I love to buy alot of milk and eggs and want the milk to last a good month or longer but by week 4 or sooner the milk at 40 degrees starts to taste funny. Had that milk been kept in a crisp and cold 34 or 35 degrees F, it would still taste excellent after a month. Can a person have the right to set a temperature in degrees F at their own choosing instead of a big cheese company deciding for us?

It seems im going to have to spend days and days of research on the internet to find out which fridges are the coldest and at what temperature as all my food in my broken refrigerator goes bad. Time to order take out pizza every day and night, with alot of coke, but I hope they bring me alot of ice with it.

ANYONE have a clue which refrigerator brand with freezer on top hits a nice and cold 35/ 34 or even 33 degrees F? I don't care to have it at 33 but if theres a fridge that will hit that then it will not have a prob in hitting 35. Bring back the 1980s please when things were easier.

Last edited by domic; Yesterday at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM

38,285 posts, read 56,082,864 times
How do you know your fridge cools only up to 40F? Did you measured it with a cooler thermometer?
Aren't there any American fridges to buy?
What brands did you check so far?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How do you know your fridge cools only up to 40F? Did you measured it with a cooler thermometer?
Aren't there any American fridges to buy?
What brands did you check so far?
I always keep a thermostat or even better a ThermPro in my fridges and my previous always stayed at 40- 45. So far I looked at Frigidiaire, Maytag and GE models. It seems maby the Maytag that has a 4 l.e.d. cold setting in the fridge may be the coldest one available, whereas their cheaper models just have a 3 led setting. My luck I spend the 1100 on the 4 led temp control and it only reaches 40 max.

Folks, they don't indicate ANYWHERE what temperatures the fridges actually reach from lowest to highest and I think thats ridiculous. Is it 2019 or 1919?? (oh I know, there were no home refrigerators in 1919 but I bet the 1930 models got nice and cold but not today, 40 degree refrigerators suck).

Last edited by domic; Yesterday at 08:21 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM

Is your freezer usually really full?
Generally, if the refrigerator compartment is not reaching cold
enough temperatures, ensure that the vent in the
freezer compartment is open to allow the passage
of cold air from the freezer to the refrigerator.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM

I guess i'll take a chance and buy that 4 led temp control thats in the fridge but if it only hits 40 max, i'll just keep on placing ice cubes on the milk bags.

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

Fridges with manual termostat will not display the real temperature. You only get settings 1-5 or 1-7.
If you want more precise setting, you probably need to buy fridge with built in digital temperature display you can set manually.

Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Is your freezer usually really full?
Generally, if the refrigerator compartment is not reaching cold
enough temperatures, ensure that the vent in the
freezer compartment is open to allow the passage
of cold air from the freezer to the refrigerator.
Its quite full most of the time, but when its not the temp still stays at 40 degrees F or warmer.

The previous refrigerator I bought 4 years ago (I gave that away when I moved) only hit 40 and after I spent such big bucks, there I was, I plugged it in and was so anxious to check it out some hours later to feel how cold it got, but to my dissappointment it wasn't very cold at all, and the coldest it reached was 40. I phoned the manager of that store and wanted to exchange the model for another, as he said ALL his models have been pre-set at the factory at 40 to prevent unwanted freezing of foods. He walked with his phone around his store as I was waiting on the other line and checked like 3 fridges and he said, yup theyre all 40 degrees F.

Last edited by domic; Yesterday at 09:36 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Fridges with manual termostat will not display the real temperature. You only get settings 1-5 or 1-7.
If you want more precise setting, you probably need to buy fridge with built in digital temperature display you can set manually.
I haven't noticed them yet, but I imagine they would cost $1800- $2500? Even with those with a temperature display you could adjust in degees F, will they go as cold as 34, but they may not even indicate that in the description. Not sure if i want to spend $2000 especially when they don't even indicate the temp setting such fridge can reach. I guess im the only one in the ww that wants to know??

It seems since the mid 90's these fridge companies are afraid to sell very cold fridges at the $600 to $1000 mark for fear that foods/milk will freeze. The days of a nice cold coke or beer directly from the fridge are over unless you add some ice in a container along with the drinks. THATS WHAT I'LL DO with my milks, and beers and cokes and eggs and......so on.

Last edited by domic; Yesterday at 09:38 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...18ss7/10451342

Here you go, a nice fridge with electronic thermostat you can finely tune. Cost 700 CD
Too small?

Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

Quote:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...18ss7/10451342

Here you go, a nice fridge with electronic thermostat you can finely tune. Cost 700 CD
Too small?
I checked it out, "Electronic temperature control, makes it easy to change the temperature when you need to", BUT it doesn't show the coldest setting in degrees that you can set it to. I think you actually have to go to a store in person to check out the ones on display in order to find out. They don't include those details on line in the description anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or