U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 03:24 PM

12,802 posts, read 8,872,053 times

Advertisements

Not according to the PISA rankings. Quebec is lower for science.

"Canada performs well at the national level on the 2012 PISA reading, math, and science tests. At the provincial level, however, significant differences emerge. Some provinces managed to earn high grades—such as Alberta and B.C., with all “A”s or “B”s—but several other provinces are performing significantly below the levels needed. Even within provinces there are differences in outcomes. For example, Quebec earns an “A” grade for its large share of students with high-level math skills but a “D” on high-level science skills."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 04:15 PM

22,148 posts, read 27,587,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not according to the PISA rankings. Quebec is lower for science.

"Canada performs well at the national level on the 2012 PISA reading, math, and science tests. At the provincial level, however, significant differences emerge. Some provinces managed to earn high grades—such as Alberta and B.C., with all “A”s or “B”s—but several other provinces are performing significantly below the levels needed. Even within provinces there are differences in outcomes. For example, Quebec earns an “A” grade for its large share of students with high-level math skills but a “D” on high-level science skills."
Begratto's article features results from 2018. Yours is from 2012.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:27 PM

Anecdotally, my kids are in high school in Quebec and I can compare where they are at (I am curious and ask lots of questions) to my nephews and nieces who are their cousins and who go to school in other provinces. Mostly Ontario.

I'll stack up my kids against any of their cousins any day on most any academic subject. (Though family milieu does enter into it as well, I also have discussions with kids about what they're studying in school - so this gives me an idea.)

One of our relatives who is an Ontario school teacher with kids in high school in that province, when we moved to Quebec basically told us sending our kids to school here was akin to child abuse. Third world education - these were the terms used. This person has greatly changed their tune since then as they ask my kids tons of questions about what they're learning in school. It would never be admitted openly but I can see on that person's face that my kids are making an impression.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:17 PM

477 posts, read 178,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Anecdotally, my kids are in high school in Quebec and I can compare where they are at (I am curious and ask lots of questions)
As a parent, it is not your task to invade the privacy of your kids - that is the task of Alexa, Google and Surveillance-Barbie.

With your direct non-robotic verbal communcation you are not preparing your kids for their incremental heuristic search phonetic algorithm sequence matching online-mediated future.

If you have questions, ask Siri or buy a 50$ advisor book from adults who have no kids but three cats - like any ordinary parent would do.

Quote:
when we moved to Quebec...Third world education.
In all countries where French is official outside of Europe, there is third world education. Why should Québec be any different?

Quote:
I can see on that person's face that my kids are making an impression.
That is because of wikipedia and Quinn from Zoey 101.

"By making social hierarchies and the reproduction of these hierarchies appear based upon the hierarchy of ‘gifts’, merits, or skill established and ratified by its sanctions, or, in a word, by converting social hierarchies into academic hierarchies, the educational system fulfils a function of legitimation which is more and more necessary to the perpetuation of the ‘social order’ as the evolution of the power relationship between classes tends more completely to exclude the imposition of a hierarchy based upon the crude and ruthless affirmation of the power relationship (Bourdieu)."

The answer is very easy: after it there is two-year CEGEP. So it's not really the end after eleven years of whatsapping and they can have another two years of snapchatting at CEGEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Quebec earns an “A” grade for its large share of students with high-level math skills but a “D” on high-level science skills."
yeah, we need an A because otherwise we cannot calculate the accurate amounts of equalization payments that British Columbia and Alberta gotta pay for Q. And a D in science skills? Hydrology is not part of PISA so it kinda is unfair. Just imagine what would be if Q scored everywhere high, then the rest of Canada would copy Q and that would make it more similar to Anglo-Canada. We let others be in the spotlight

Last edited by QuebecOpec; 08-12-2019 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-12-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
As a parent, it is not your task to invade the privacy of your kids - that is the task of Alexa, Google and Surveillance-Barbie.

With your direct non-robotic verbal communcation you are not preparing your kids for their incremental heuristic search phonetic algorithm sequence matching online-mediated future.

If you have questions, ask Siri or buy a 50$ advisor book from adults who have no kids but three cats - like any ordinary parent would do.

In all countries where French is official outside of Europe, there is third world education. Why should Québec be any different?

That is because of wikipedia and Quinn from Zoey 101.

"By making social hierarchies and the reproduction of these hierarchies appear based upon the hierarchy of ‘gifts’, merits, or skill established and ratified by its sanctions, or, in a word, by converting social hierarchies into academic hierarchies, the educational system fulfils a function of legitimation which is more and more necessary to the perpetuation of the ‘social order’ as the evolution of the power relationship between classes tends more completely to exclude the imposition of a hierarchy based upon the crude and ruthless affirmation of the power relationship (Bourdieu)."

The answer is very easy: after it there is two-year CEGEP. So it's not really the end after eleven years of whatsapping and they can have another two years of snapchatting at CEGEP

yeah, we need an A because otherwise we cannot calculate the accurate amounts of equalization payments that British Columbia and Alberta gotta pay for Q. And a D in science skills? Hydrology is not part of PISA so it kinda is unfair. Just imagine what would be if Q scored everywhere high, then the rest of Canada would copy Q and that would make it more similar to Anglo-Canada. We let others be in the spotlight
All of this is way too confusing to respond to.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:34 AM

8,663 posts, read 11,170,586 times
I just figured that like a lot of the posters here, they figured they knew everything there was to know in 11 years.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:22 PM

12,802 posts, read 8,872,053 times
Quote:
Begratto's article features results from 2018. Yours is from 2012.
Here is a later one from 2015, from first glance, is much the same as 2012.

https://www.cmec.ca/Publications/Lis...nReport-EN.pdf

The other link, that came out in 2018, takes stats from 2013 to 2016 and is sampling of 27,000 students.

The other issue of course is methodology, PISA's

"To minimize the potential for response bias, data quality standards in PISA require minimum participation rates for schools and students. At the Canada-wide level, a minimum response rate of 85 per cent was required for schools initially selected. Schools with student participation rates between 25 per cent and 50 per cent were not counted as participating schools, but data for these schools were included in the database and used to analyze student achievement. Schools with student participation rates of less than 25 per cent were not counted as participating, and their data were excluded from the database.
PISA 2015 also requires a minimum student participation rate of 80 per cent within all participating schools combined (original sample and replacements) at the national level.
Table A.2 shows the response rates for schools and students, before and after replacement, for Canada and the 10 provinces. At the national level 1,010 schools were selected to participate in PISA 2015, and 703 of these initially selected schools participated. As such, the weighted school participation rate was 78.6 per cent for Canada which was slightly lower than the international standard."

My guess is that PISA's findings are based on a much broader set of responses.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Bottom line though is that Quebec students are doing just fine. (In case anyone was thinking they weren't.)

Old 08-13-2019, 02:48 PM

9,934 posts, read 6,803,695 times
Quote:
All of this is way too confusing to respond to.
Is weed the only thing that got legalized recently in Quebec?

Old 08-15-2019, 04:01 AM

34,635 posts, read 41,824,721 times
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Is weed the only thing that got legalized recently in Quebec?
well dicrimination got legalized in the form of Bill21 and racism got legalized in the form of bill9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or