U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:01 AM

22,197 posts, read 27,619,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Most of the European countries use the same K-12 system. So, it isn't US-specific.
Almost none of them are purely K-12 as you would find in the U.S. and the rest of Canada. They would all be modified versions of K-12, which is actually what Quebec's is as well, when you think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:57 AM

420 posts, read 1,159,530 times
Please define "pure K-12". I know for a fact that at least one European Country, Romania, is exactly K-12 to the letter, because I had all of my education there.

Germany is also a match (with some optional 13th year) - see https://drpfconsults.com/10-things-y...ent-countries/
If not UK too (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-through_school).

They may not be called K-12 adliteram, but that's what they actually follow.

Old Today, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Please define "pure K-12". I know for a fact that at least one European Country, Romania, is exactly K-12 to the letter, because I had all of my education there.

Germany is also a match (with some optional 13th year) - see https://drpfconsults.com/10-things-y...ent-countries/
If not UK too (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-through_school).

They may not be called K-12 adliteram, but that's what they actually follow.
This is not even close to being exactly the same as the school system in the US and Anglo-Canada:

https://www.studying-in-germany.org/...cation-system/

Old Today, 11:59 AM

2,292 posts, read 3,961,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Why does high school end at the 11th grade in Quebec and not the 12th as in other provinces?
I haven’t quite liked any of the answers so far so I will provide mine.

Quebec’s education system essentially replaces Grade 12 and a part of college/university with CEGEP. That is also why bachelor’s degrees in Quebec are almost always 3 years long (not 4) and students there do not have any ‘general education’ courses at the university level.

Someone with a bachelor’s degree would have had (excluding kindergarten):
Elementary 1-6 + secondary 1-5 + 2 years of CEGEP + 3 years of university = 16 yrs of schooling
Compared to a bachelor’s degree elsewhere in Canada:
Grades 1-12 + 4 years university = 16 yrs as well

Whereas in Quebec most students in technical areas would stop at CEGEP as we have no equivalent to 2-year college programs:
Elementary 1-6 + secondary 1-5 + 3 yrs CEGEP = 14
Compared to ROC:
Grades 1-12 + 2 yrs in college = 14

Old Today, 01:02 PM

I guess it's true though when you look at it, a person who finishes their schooling with a high school diploma and stops there ends up with one less year of schooling in Quebec than in the ROC or the US.

Of course, contrary to most any other place there is no excuse to not further your studies at CEGEP for 2-3 more years as it's basically free.

So sure a high school diploma in Quebec gives you one less year of schooling, but the amount of years of *essentially* free schooling is at least two years more here.

I don't think there are many places in this corner of the planet where you can learn a decently-paid trade like plumber or electrician at such a minimal cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or