U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 04:37 PM

12,670 posts, read 11,227,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
There were attempts in Quebec to make a Quebecois passports available. If I remember correctly Bouchard was pushing for this in the late 90s.

Would you ask a first nations person that says they are not Canadian if they had a passport?
If they were on this forum and saying the same thing - yes I would. They can't eliminate being a part of the Canadian nation just because they don't identify being one. In some ways you can't escape the fact that if you live within the present day border of the country of Canada - you are a Canadian. I bet if they were travelling and had some sort of issue abroad they would welcome Canadian consular assistance and suddenly identify as one.

You ask me this though you aren't in favour of multiculturalism. Boy am I confused now UL lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 04:56 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 5 days ago)

4,908 posts, read 4,494,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If they were on this forum and saying the same thing - yes I would. They can't eliminate being a part of the Canadian nation just because they don't identify being one. In some ways you can't escape the fact that if you live within the present day border of the country of Canada - you are a Canadian. I bet if they were travelling and had some sort of issue abroad they would welcome Canadian consular assistance and suddenly identify as one.

You ask me this though you aren't in favour of multiculturalism. Boy am I confused now UL lol..
Well they never asked to be part of Canada, they haven't always been treated nicely. I know that many of them don't consider themselves Canadian.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Well they never asked to be part of Canada, they haven't always been treated nicely. I know that many of them don't consider themselves Canadian.
Well sure, in theory and to account for past injustices I would like to support any movement whereby first nations groups would advocate for separation if they so chose it. Especially an organized, cohesive and large consolidation of many factions. Its tough in practice though, at which line do we draw, how many nations and fragments would we need to deal with here. Things can get so fragmented that to account for all historical injustices we would need to tear up this country into a billion of pieces. The difference between QC and first nations people for example, is that we don't have a cohesive movement for separation within these groups in the same large and pronounced organized manner as in QC. There are clearer lines drawn there.

That said, we do sort of have to move on as a country otherwise all of us are going to suffer, including all the nations within the Canadian nation. Everything built for and where we are at present could become unravelled to the point that is self assured destruction, in terms of economy, health services, emergency services, national defence etc. It just becomes a pandora's box. The truth is, sometimes a country is necessary to exist, even if it has done some horrible things in the past, even if it doesn't follow through on all of our expectations and ideals but because it does all the practical things in life that we need from it. There may be no glory in that, until it's gone.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-10-2019 at 05:41 PM..

Old 08-10-2019, 05:23 PM

34,586 posts, read 41,771,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Manners View Post
I'm not Canadian, I'm Québecois.
Hate to be the bearer of facts but most people residing in the province of Quebec are Canadian, are there any benefits you derive from the Canadian government that you are prepared to forfeit? like the use of Canadian money, Unemployment insurance,your pension and indirectly your healthcare,what does your passport say,. If you arent a Canadian do us a favour and leave.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

19 posts, read 3,458 times
Quote:
There were attempts in Quebec to make a Quebecois passports available. If I remember correctly Bouchard was pushing for this in the late 90s.

Would you ask a first nations person that says they are not Canadian if they had a passport?
We do have embassies around the world. In French called délégations générales du Québec. Where any Quebecois can stop and recieve help abroad.

Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

7,453 posts, read 6,690,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
We do have embassies around the world. In French called délégations générales du Québec. Where any Quebecois can stop and recieve help abroad.

Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario has them too. Any Canadian abroad can access any of those government offices (including Quebec's offices) if necessary, no matter what province they come from. None of them are actual embassies though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Government_Offices

"The Quebec Government Offices (French: Délégations générales du Québec) are the Government of Quebec's official representations around the world. They are overseen by Quebec's Ministry of International Relations. The network of offices consists of seven general delegations, four delegations, nine government bureaux, six trade branches, and two areas of representation in multilateral affairs..... Quebec, like other Canadian provinces, also maintains representatives in some Canadian embassies and consulates general."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_of_Canada

"As a Commonwealth country, Canada's diplomatic missions in the capitals of other Commonwealth countries are referred to as High Commissions (as opposed to embassies). Canada has diplomatic and consular offices (including honorary consuls that are not included in this list) in over 270 locations in approximately 180 foreign countries.

Under the terms of the Canada–Australia Consular Services Sharing Agreement, the two countries provide consular services to each other's citizens at a number of locations around the world. At this time, there are 19 locations where Canadian offices provide consular services to Australians, and 12 other cities where Canadians can obtain consular services from Australian offices. In an emergency, Canadians can also seek assistance from British offices around the world if there is no resident Canadian office.

The province of Quebec has its own Ministry of International Relations (French: Ministère des Relations internationales) and a network of several representative officers "to promote and defend Québec's interests internationally while ensuring respect for its authority and the consistency of government activities", including 11 delegations, 9 bureaus and 6 antennas.[1] Some consider the scope and size of its network of offices to be part of a larger effort by the government of Quebec to convince foreign nations to accept sovereignty as Quebec's destiny.[2]

Other provinces, such as Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario, also maintain offices abroad."

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

19 posts, read 3,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario has them too. Any Canadian abroad can access any of those government offices (including Quebec's offices) if necessary, no matter what province they come from. None of them are actual embassies though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Government_Offices

"The Quebec Government Offices (French: Délégations générales du Québec) are the Government of Quebec's official representations around the world. They are overseen by Quebec's Ministry of International Relations. The network of offices consists of seven general delegations, four delegations, nine government bureaux, six trade branches, and two areas of representation in multilateral affairs..... Quebec, like other Canadian provinces, also maintains representatives in some Canadian embassies and consulates general."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_of_Canada

"As a Commonwealth country, Canada's diplomatic missions in the capitals of other Commonwealth countries are referred to as High Commissions (as opposed to embassies). Canada has diplomatic and consular offices (including honorary consuls that are not included in this list) in over 270 locations in approximately 180 foreign countries.

Under the terms of the Canada–Australia Consular Services Sharing Agreement, the two countries provide consular services to each other's citizens at a number of locations around the world. At this time, there are 19 locations where Canadian offices provide consular services to Australians, and 12 other cities where Canadians can obtain consular services from Australian offices. In an emergency, Canadians can also seek assistance from British offices around the world if there is no resident Canadian office.

The province of Quebec has its own Ministry of International Relations (French: Ministère des Relations internationales) and a network of several representative officers "to promote and defend Québec's interests internationally while ensuring respect for its authority and the consistency of government activities", including 11 delegations, 9 bureaus and 6 antennas.[1] Some consider the scope and size of its network of offices to be part of a larger effort by the government of Quebec to convince foreign nations to accept sovereignty as Quebec's destiny.[2]

Other provinces, such as Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario, also maintain offices abroad."

No need to be defensive, I didn't claim that they didn't.

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

7,453 posts, read 6,690,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
No need to be defensive, I didn't claim that they didn't.

Relax sweetie, I wasn't being defensive, just providing the additional information that you didn't provide so everyone knows what kind of government agencies you were talking about.

Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,159 posts, read 3,451,889 times
Over 70% of Canada's exports come to the US, and in turn 20% of the entire Canadian economy is directly linked to US consumption.

That said, Toronto is benefitting from a perfect storm of industrial decline in the U.S. Great Lakes and Montreal's loss of economic importance due to the Quebec secession movement.

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Over 70% of Canada's exports come to the US, and in turn 20% of the entire Canadian economy is directly linked to US consumption.

That said, Toronto is benefitting from a perfect storm of industrial decline in the U.S. Great Lakes and Montreal's loss of economic importance due to the Quebec secession movement.
Yes Canada depends on the U.S for exports and obviously it is important to the economy, but that doesn't make it a vassal state, just intertwined economically. The countries are also highly intertwined from an energy perspective and share and border Provs/States share power grids etc, so it isn't just a one-sided power base. I think some Americans like yourself overstate the importance of the U.S to Canada and understate Canada's ability to deal with a reality where you would not number 1 in economically. It makes sense due to geography, shared history, values that a small country like Canada population wise, would intertwine itself with a close big economic brother. The countries compliment one another well but ofc we always have to sit here and read the - You need us rhetoric and emotional terrorism type comments - oh well part of the package I guess.

As for Montreal and Toronto - both are doing well economically and are posting record growth rates. What happened almost 50 years ago is in the past and they have moved on. Oh speaking of moving on a part of it is because they have diversified their economies and are well connected to the global economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or