U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

16,173 posts, read 6,381,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Well they never asked to be part of Canada, they haven't always been treated nicely. I know that many of them don't consider themselves Canadian.
Lower Canada was a full participant in the conclave in Fredericton that helped birth the Royal Dominion of Canada. Quebec was quite happy with this until they were asked to contribute by way of conscription in WW I. The Francophone Quebeckers did not see eye to eye with PM Borden, certainly. Separation became even more interesting during the 1960's with the development of the "self-determination" movement internationally, concomitant with the spread of U.N. subsidies to any postage-stamp country whose dictator wanted a subsidy to leach onto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

12,787 posts, read 8,856,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
No need to be defensive, I didn't claim that they didn't.
No, but your post was very misleading, and factually wrong.

Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM

19 posts, read 3,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No, but your post was very misleading, and factually wrong.
How is that?

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

12,787 posts, read 8,856,384 times
Quote:
How is that?
You stated Quebec had embassies, you don't. You also implied by omission, that only Quebecois could use them.

Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM

19 posts, read 3,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You stated Quebec had embassies, you don't. You also implied by omission, that only Quebecois could use them.
I am sorry. English is not my first language and I am doing my best.

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

419 posts, read 277,005 times
Quote:
I am sorry. English is not my first language and I am doing my best.
You are very polite, but there is no need to apologize, QIMC.

As you have already noted, anglo Canadians can be very defensive at the slightest possibility of criticism, real or not, of anglo Canada.

It ties into a deep-seated inferiority complex which traces it's roots back to their defeat in the American Revolution and stagnation as a peripheral British colony.

You are doing a great job in English! Continue to practice, as I am sure you are.

Remember that only a small percentage of people in Canada posses the ability of bilingualism that you are developing!

Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

2,786 posts, read 1,040,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfo2 View Post
Is Canada especially English speaking Canada like Ontario practically a US vassal state?

They consume all US made cultural products and refer to the US and Canada together almost like they are the same entity.

Also English Canadian government generally relies on the US government for support and guidance and it is expected like matter of fact.
Going back on topic. No Canada is not a vassal state. Of course we consume American products since they are right next to us.
As Nat mentioned though, Canada has a different outlook when it comes to healthcare and firearms, to name a few things.

What may be the bigger issue though, is that Canada doesn't really stick out as a nation, to the point that from a non- North American perspective, it practically blends in with the US.

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Going back on topic. No Canada is not a vassal state. Of course we consume American products since they are right next to us.
As Nat mentioned though, Canada has a different outlook when it comes to healthcare and firearms, to name a few things.

What may be the bigger issue though, is that Canada doesn't really stick out as a nation, to the point that from a non- North American perspective, it practically blends in with the US.
To play devil's advocate, don't a plethora of American states have the same outlook regarding guns and healthcare?

Like Massachusetts, and a number of states in that region, for instance; they have healthcare available for all for quite a while now, IIRC, and guns are highly regulated.

Ironically, Massachusetts is where the U.S. began in the first place!

I think that is why anglo Canadians don't stick out, most of the things they identify with to differentiate themselves are still present in some if not many parts of the U.S.

I think anglo Canadians take the most extreme parts of the U.S. and plaster that as definitive of the U.S.

In reality the U.S. has much more diversity in outlooks, climates, population, and so on, making them difficult to easily compare with the more white-bread anglo Canada.

Old Today, 10:56 AM

167 posts, read 155,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
To play devil's advocate, don't a plethora of American states have the same outlook regarding guns and healthcare?

Like Massachusetts, and a number of states in that region, for instance; they have healthcare available for all for quite a while now, IIRC, and guns are highly regulated.

Ironically, Massachusetts is where the U.S. began in the first place!

I think that is why anglo Canadians don't stick out, most of the things they identify with to differentiate themselves are still present in some if not many parts of the U.S.

I think anglo Canadians take the most extreme parts of the U.S. and plaster that as definitive of the U.S.

In reality the U.S. has much more diversity in outlooks, climates, population, and so on, making them difficult to easily compare with the more white-bread anglo Canada.
PBeauchamp I see that you are still alive and kicking!

Perhaps what you state above weaves into the need to keep Britain's monarchy as the overseers of Canada. By keeping a monarchy it gives Canada something to cling on to and differentiate themselves from the democratic USA.

If you look at Australian discussion of the monarchy they are more favourable to becoming a republic, and discussion of the USA never even comes up. They probably have established a more secure identity. This may be in part to geography.

Old Today, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
PBeauchamp I see that you are still alive and kicking!

Perhaps what you state above weaves into the need to keep Britain's monarchy as the overseers of Canada. By keeping a monarchy it gives Canada something to cling on to and differentiate themselves from the democratic USA.

If you look at Australian discussion of the monarchy they are more favourable to becoming a republic, and discussion of the USA never even comes up. They probably have established a more secure identity. This may be in part to geography.
Hello, VLQL, I am still alive and kicking.

I agree with your assessment.

But anglo Canada is more of a U.S. cultural vassal. The monarchy makes it easier to argue that they (and we) are technically a vassal of the British rather than the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or