U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 05:27 AM

10,931 posts, read 23,285,859 times

Advertisements

I prefer good old Saputo Brands of Milk but I grew up with their products (Dairyland) so Fairlife tastes funny to me...But it might just be a Coke vs. Pepsi thing where both are Cola just people prefer one over the other.

I do love Tillamook Cheese products though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 09:49 AM

7,482 posts, read 6,709,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

Oh, yeah! You sure got that right. Love me some Tillamook sharp cheddar! Big bricks of it. Can't find any place nearby here that sells it though, I'd have to go across the line down to Bellingham to get it, But sometimes I can get someone to bring it back for me when they're down there. Now if the Tillamook Association was to start selling their products up here I would definitely make an exception in their case and buy their cheddar.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:26 PM

12,807 posts, read 8,875,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
I'm in US, Colorado and even the milk allegedly labeled as "rBST-free" (whole, 2% or 1%), it doesn't taste like the milk I'm remembering from Canada (either QC or ON). The Canadian one tastes better. Don't know how to explain the taste of the US milk - feels heavy with something, it's as if the taste is not pure but more complex, even a burn-like taste. Hope I'm not hallucinating.

This has always been intriguing me. What is different? Is the US putting in other stuff that in fact is banned in both Canada and EU? Thanks.
I'll be in the US in September...and I'll do a taste test.

Funny you mentioned taste. I met a guy once from California visiting Vancouver a few years ago, and he said much the same thing. Out of the blue he said " I really like your milk, it tastes better ". I thought that he was grasping at a compliment, but who knows?

It might be the size of the dairy farms. Perhaps the smaller ones produce nicer milk in the US?

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-12-2019 at 12:58 PM..

Old 08-12-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I think the only times I ever eat bread when I'm in the US is when I'm enjoying a deli sandwich (seriously, two to three inches of pastrami, between two thin slices of rye bread--that's a treat), or I'm having a gourmet burger. In both cases, the bread isn't the star attraction, and I typically don't notice it, except as something to slather mustard on.

At any rate, I'm sure that the CFIA would not allow American products that contravene Canada's food standards, to be sold in Canada. In other words, if Americans cannot supply foods that meet our standards for food safety, they're not selling here, NAFTA or not. If the American suppliers can meet our food safety standards, then let them take a chance in our marketplace.
I'm speaking about mass produced breads. Perhaps the deli you went to bought from a smaller local bakery that made bread without the additives.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I prefer good old Saputo Brands of Milk but I grew up with their products (Dairyland) so Fairlife tastes funny to me...But it might just be a Coke vs. Pepsi thing where both are Cola just people prefer one over the other.

When I'm in Washington State I buy Tillamook cheese. They stopped using milk products with BGH years ago.

Still, their " sharp " isn't as strong as our " old ".

Old 08-12-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Oh, yeah! You sure got that right. Love me some Tillamook sharp cheddar! Big bricks of it. Can't find any place nearby here that sells it though, I'd have to go across the line down to Bellingham to get it, But sometimes I can get someone to bring it back for me when they're down there. Now if the Tillamook Association was to start selling their products up here I would definitely make an exception in their case and buy their cheddar.
My favourite Canadian cheddar that I can buy here is Balderson's from Ontario.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
My favourite Canadian cheddar that I can buy here is Balderson's from Ontario.

I've seen Balderson's cheeses here in Thrifty's deli section, I'll try some.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I've seen Balderson's cheeses here in Thrifty's deli section, I'll try some.
Get the two year old. I find it's old enough for great taste, but doesn't crumble like a five year old cheese does. Also make sure it's their white cheddar, not orange.

One way to tell if a cheese is made " properly " is to look at the list of ingredients. One not made from MODIFIED MILK is best. Balderson's white isn't, but I think their orange is.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Get the two year old. I find it's old enough for great taste, but doesn't crumble like a five year old cheese does. Also make sure it's their white cheddar, not orange.

One way to tell if a cheese is made " properly " is to look at the list of ingredients. One not made from MODIFIED MILK is best. Balderson's white isn't, but I think their orange is.

Thanks Nat, that's really good to know. I'm going up to Thrifty's later today so I'll look for the white 2 years old and get some.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks Nat, that's really good to know. I'm going up to Thrifty's later today so I'll look for the white 2 years old and get some.
It's not cheap, but you use less since the flavour is stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or