U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 04:52 PM

6,756 posts, read 4,215,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
When I'm in Washington State I buy Tillamook cheese. They stopped using milk products with BGH years ago.

Still, their " sharp " isn't as strong as our " old ".
Tillamook makes "extra sharp" also. It's white, not yellow, and good and sharp and crumbly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 06:48 PM

12,706 posts, read 11,248,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
I'm in US, Colorado and even the milk allegedly labeled as "rBST-free" (whole, 2% or 1%), it doesn't taste like the milk I'm remembering from Canada (either QC or ON). The Canadian one tastes better. Don't know how to explain the taste of the US milk - feels heavy with something, it's as if the taste is not pure but more complex, even a burn-like taste. Hope I'm not hallucinating.

This has always been intriguing me. What is different? Is the US putting in other stuff that in fact is banned in both Canada and EU? Thanks.
No i'm glad Glad i'm not the only one who experienced this. That heavy feeling you speak of is similar to what I was saying I felt. Maybe it's the cornstarch - it is a thickener!

Old 08-12-2019, 08:54 PM

7,482 posts, read 6,709,409 times
When cornstarch is combined with milk it becomes a sedative.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:10 PM

12,807 posts, read 8,875,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Tillamook makes "extra sharp" also. It's white, not yellow, and good and sharp and crumbly.
I'll look for it next time I'm in the US.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:02 PM

8,663 posts, read 11,170,586 times
I'm not a big milk consumer, other than coffee and cereal. That being said, I don't really notice a difference between our non-growth hormone'd HEB brand and Dairylife back from Canada. Other than the price. $2.19 a gallon, or $1.89 when it's on sale.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:20 PM

9,658 posts, read 9,519,632 times
American milk, stay away from meeheee.
American milk, mama let me beehee.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Uggh - doesn't sound like something you'd want to eat in your bread! The texture of the chocolate milk I drank I think i'll chalk up to the cornstarch - which is not in CAD chocolate milk. I love my sealtest choco milk anyway - nothing compares in the world
I don't buy chocolate milk, but your post made me look at the list of ingredients for one of our most popular brands in Vancouver. It lists modified corn starch...so ya, we do have it in some of our chocolate milk. I then looked at a smaller local dairy's brand and they don't use any cornstarch.

Sigh, when did life get so complicated

Old 08-15-2019, 04:33 PM

460 posts, read 283,263 times
I don’t know if I’m just imagining things, but to me Canadian milk tastes “fuller” and is more satisfying than American milk, even rBGH-free American milk. I’m not sure if it’s worth the higher price, but I’ve heard at least part of the reason dairy is more expensive in Canada to ensure dairy farmers get paid well, which is fair. Also, for some reason I can never seem to find cheese curds in America; I’ve only had them (in poutine!) in Canada.

@Natnasci: have a fun, safe trip to America!

Old 08-15-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
I don’t know if I’m just imagining things, but to me Canadian milk tastes “fuller” and is more satisfying than American milk, even rBGH-free American milk. I’m not sure if it’s worth the higher price, but I’ve heard at least part of the reason dairy is more expensive in Canada to ensure dairy farmers get paid well, which is fair. Also, for some reason I can never seem to find cheese curds in America; I’ve only had them (in poutine!) in Canada.

@Natnasci: have a fun, safe trip to America!
Thanks I will...and I'll do a milk taste test LOL

On average dairy farms are smaller in Canada. Average farm is 73 cows apparently. Largest in Canada ,has 3,500 cows, largest in the US over 30,000.

Look up Canada's Supply Management System regarding dairy farms. It get a lot of flack, because milk is more expensive than in the US, but Canadians seem unaware that in the US the dairy industry is MASSIVELY subsidized by the US taxpayer. In Canada it isn't. In other words, you are going to pay one way or the other.

Hope you are enjoying Canada and Vancouver!!

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-15-2019 at 09:07 PM..

Old 08-15-2019, 09:15 PM

12,706 posts, read 11,248,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
When cornstarch is combined with milk it becomes a sedative.
Good thing I wasn't driving while drinking American Chocolate milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I don't buy chocolate milk, but your post made me look at the list of ingredients for one of our most popular brands in Vancouver. It lists modified corn starch...so ya, we do have it in some of our chocolate milk. I then looked at a smaller local dairy's brand and they don't use any cornstarch.

Sigh, when did life get so complicated
Maybe it was just that version Great Value Chocolate Mild that added Cornstarch. Now anything that has 'modified' in it sounds even worse like how exactly is it 'modified' - leaves more questions than answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or