U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 08:41 PM

9,642 posts, read 9,512,164 times

Advertisements

...there was Rene.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gM6HHHXBsx0

Any of you outside of Quebec remember him?
I wonder who the reporter was? He kept mispronouncing “record”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 10:32 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,778,524 times
I didn't look at the video, but I do remember Rene Simard.

I understand he was quite popular in Quebec. The CBC tried to get him popular in the rest of Canada, by giving him his own variety show back in the 1970s. Although the show was in English, it never really caught on (the CBC presented him as a disco artist, and by 1979, disco was dying), and was cancelled after two seasons. But yes, I remember him. Hope he's doing well today.

Now, Mouldy--do you remember the young Francophone lady who, in the mid-1970s, actually broke through in English Canada, and internationally: Patsy Gallant?

Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM

22,117 posts, read 27,569,413 times
I grew up outside Quebec in anglo cities, towns and provinces. We had very limited access to francophone Quebec media at the type but we got the "René push" both from the efforts described here to make him a cross-Canada star, and from the lapsed francophone culture we had in my family but that still allowed the biggest of the big from Quebec to penetrate our household's mindspace.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

What country is this clip from?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iIoa4HE5N9k

Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I didn't look at the video, but I do remember Rene Simard.

I understand he was quite popular in Quebec. The CBC tried to get him popular in the rest of Canada, by giving him his own variety show back in the 1970s. Although the show was in English, it never really caught on (the CBC presented him as a disco artist, and by 1979, disco was dying), and was cancelled after two seasons. But yes, I remember him. Hope he's doing well today.

Now, Mouldy--do you remember the young Francophone lady who, in the mid-1970s, actually broke through in English Canada, and internationally: Patsy Gallant?
Patsy never hit it big in the US. And disco started to die with this event.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JSVTJn_NMeU

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,868,250 times
René Simard was known out here in BC as well....pretty quick flash in the pan if I remember correctly.

Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 8 days ago)

4,923 posts, read 4,501,276 times
The only French Canadian artist I remember hearing about before I moved to Quebec were Roch Voisine and Mitsou.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

22,117 posts, read 27,569,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Patsy never hit it big in the US. And disco started to die with this event.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JSVTJn_NMeU
From what I can recall René Simard and Patsy Gallant seemed to have attained fairly similar levels of renown outside Quebec. Though perhaps with different clienteles...

Last edited by Acajack; Yesterday at 11:40 AM..

Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

740 posts, read 860,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
The only French Canadian artist I remember hearing about before I moved to Quebec were Roch Voisine and Mitsou.
Mitsou's _Bye Bye Cowboy_ track rotated heavily on MuchMusic back when they actually were a music channel.

She is the only Quebec performer I had ever heard of until I started travelling to PQ 10-12 years ago.

Got acquainted with a few since then...Gerry Boulet and his band which I like and also Harmonium who from what I understand were the biggest thing ever over there- sorta like Quebec"s Beatles.

Heard others I like but their names escape me.

Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 8 days ago)

4,923 posts, read 4,501,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Mitsou's _Bye Bye Cowboy_ track rotated heavily on MuchMusic back when they actually were a music channel.

She is the only Quebec performer I had ever heard of until I started travelling to PQ 10-12 years ago.

Got acquainted with a few since then...Gerry Boulet and his band which I like and also Harmonium who from what I understand were the biggest thing ever over there- sorta like Quebec"s Beatles.

Heard others I like but their names escape me.
What the hell happened to much music? They used to be a great channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada